Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 10-01-2006, 03:22 AM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs View Post
And another thing Snatcher...I know it's illegal for taking pics of celebs in France, but if you can swing it somehow, talk Lili into a pic for her American fans, puuulllleeeeez!!!
Since when it has been illegal ?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad View Post
i didnt realize you were staying in such an awesome location in Paris
I didn't know either until recently. It's actually less than one block away from one of Lili's favorite restaurants (according to a 2002 Gala interview) too. I wonder if the still like to go there now, four years later...
Old 10-01-2006, 11:30 AM

Twitch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
Since when it has been illegal ?
French law puts the rights of the individual before that of society, and under those laws you have the right to control your image. It sarted with a right to privacy but has turned into a right to money by lawyers who are suing photographers and winning cases. Currently because of the lighting technicians copyright of the new ligths on the Eiffel tower it is illegal to publish images of it at night without paying for the use of it, last I heard several cases where in the French courts waiting judgement. But I don't know if is completely illegal in France yet, you just run a high risk of being sued if it gets published and you have no model release. It is illegal in Quebec however, which bases its laws on the French model unlike the rest of Canada, to photograph anybody in public without their written permission and has caused all kinds of problems for photojournalists working in the province.

But back to topic, I'm new here but congrats on the trip Snatcher sounds like its you've been having a great time. Makes me jealous I couldn't get all the money I needed to spend a semester at the Academie des Beaux-Arts through a university exchange program.

Last edited by Twitch; 10-01-2006 at 11:32 AM..
Old 10-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
French law puts the rights of the individual before that of society, and under those laws you have the right to control your image. It sarted with a right to privacy but has turned into a right to money by lawyers who are suing photographers and winning cases. Currently because of the lighting technicians copyright of the new ligths on the Eiffel tower it is illegal to publish images of it at night without paying for the use of it, last I heard several cases where in the French courts waiting judgement. But I don't know if is completely illegal in France yet, you just run a high risk of being sued if it gets published and you have no model release. It is illegal in Quebec however, which bases its laws on the French model unlike the rest of Canada, to photograph anybody in public without their written permission and has caused all kinds of problems for photojournalists working in the province.
As far as I know these laws are just for publishing the photos. There is no law that makes taking photos illegal. It would be totally ridiculous law. And that publishing rule quite likely kicks in only if the photos are taken of celebrities outside public events, showing their personal life (that's what quick googling says).

And in any case, these are just to prevent paparazzis to intrude celebrities lifes. They hunt them for money.

There's not much of a problem is some random person takes photos because (s)he feels like to remember the situation in future. Of course, as long as the photo is not disgracing (when laws of personal privacy kicks in). And even showing that photo to friends should not be considered as a problem.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:24 PM

Matrix is on a distinguished road

Your image is for anyone to look at, to photograph or videotape. If you are outside your home then you are subject to the world domain of photography and anyone who wields a camera.

Illegal to take a picture of a celebrity in France.. thats a joke. You talking about something else entirely.. like publishing rights
Old 10-01-2006, 10:40 PM

Twitch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Your image is for anyone to look at, to photograph or videotape. If you are outside your home then you are subject to the world domain of photography and anyone who wields a camera
You go try that in Quebec, if you publish or broadcast anything without the persons permission or knowledge, unless you conceal their indentity, you can and will probably be sued. If they know you are filming and walk inside the the frame thats one thing but if they are minding their own business and you take a photograph you can't publish it unless you get their permission or they can sue you, and will probably win because of that stupid law they have their now. And photographer's from Quebec are warning those in France to make sure that the same law isn't created over there because their laws are very similar. Here if you don't believe me. http://www.montrealmirror.com/2005/080405/news1.html
EDIT And yes I've seen the documentary film all about this.

But shouldn't we move this discussion outside of Snatcher's thread?

Last edited by Twitch; 10-01-2006 at 10:46 PM..
Old 10-02-2006, 08:20 AM

rcs is on a distinguished road
Smile

At any rate, if I'm wrong, please do your best to remember to always have a camera on you for that once-in-a-lifetime chance you get to take a pic with her. I know, it sounds impossible to always have a camera on you 24-7. That's probably why we don't have a good daylight photo of a UFO or bigfoot yet.

But, it seems Alizee has been very elusive from the media. Not much new photo-wise. I wonder if she's still a high value target for paparazzi, or is she just that good at being undetected?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
You go try that in Quebec, if you publish or broadcast anything without the persons permission or knowledge, unless you conceal their indentity, you can and will probably be sued.
Right, but the keyword there is publish. It's not illegal to take the pictures. You can snap anything you want for personal use, it's only when you make something public that the law can step in. Also when they do, it's always against the publisher, not the photographer (if they are different, as is usually the case with paparazzi pics in the tabloids). It's a civil law suite too, so often it doesn't stop the tabloids (which are as full of celeb candids here as in the states), because they know they can make more money off the photos through increased magazine sales than they stand to loose in court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs View Post
But, it seems Alizee has been very elusive from the media. Not much new photo-wise. I wonder if she's still a high value target for paparazzi, or is she just that good at being undetected?
I'd guess it's a combination of both: low priority target, and good at keeping to herself. She's known to sue to the tabloids too, so even if some photos are taken, the magazines probably don't think it pays to publish them now. There isn't enough interest at the moment to offset the risk.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:10 PM

riva2model64 is on a distinguished road

snatcher is home? your location says NYC

if so welcome back!!
Old 10-02-2006, 12:26 PM
alizée ninja

brad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by riva2model64 View Post
snatcher is home? your location says NYC

if so welcome back!!
no .. he is in paris right now, and will probably stay there for a year or so...

http://www.alizee-forum.com/topic,15109,.html

lucky bastard ...