Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:59 PM
no use for a title

nurvonic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I pray for our president and wish him well. He has a hard job ahead of him. I do have one question. Why does he have to be called an african-american? The day my dad became an american citizen he has called himself an american. A picture of him taking the oath while holding a small american flag hangs in our hallway. People talk about equality and yet they place a separation by saying african-american. I just don't get it.
well, it is pretty historically significant if you really think about it. african americans went from slavery to holding the most powerful position on earth, and thats really saying something. of course people are going to put a label on him. "the first african-american president." same would hold true with the a first latino-american president, a first asian-american president, and certainly a first woman president. i guess people are just excited about how far this country has come.

Last edited by nurvonic; 01-21-2009 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: brain shart
Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 AM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurvonic View Post
well, it is pretty historically significant if you really think about it. african americans went from slavery to holding the most powerful position on earth, and thats really saying something. of course people are going to put a label on him. "the first african-american president." same would hold true with the a first latino-american president, a first asian-american president, and certainly a first woman president. i guess people are just excited about how far this country has come.
I'm not talking about accomplishments I'm talking about lables. If somebody lived in Africa and have ancestors in America why don't they call themselves american-african? I have ancestors from Spain, Ireland and France. Why don't I call myself euro-american? At one time there was a group of people known as irish-americans. They were dispised and was not allowed work. Many business' had signs in front of their store that read, 'Irish need not apply'. They fought long and hard to be know as just americans.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 AM
In pursuit...

mavsluver41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I'm not talking about accomplishments I'm talking about lables. If somebody lived in Africa and have ancestors in America why don't they call themselves american-african? I have ancestors from Spain, Ireland and France. Why don't I call myself euro-american? At one time there was a group of people known as irish-americans. They were dispised and was not allowed work. Many business' had signs in front of their store that read, 'Irish need not apply'. They fought long and hard to be know as just americans.
The title is a perpetual reminder of the history, legacy, and sacrifice of an entire people; it ties one to one's roots. And in the case of Afro-Americans, with slavery, civil rights, and all that, this is especially important. My parents are from another country, and I know I wield the left side of my hyphenated "label" with great pride .
Old 01-22-2009, 01:32 AM
Alizee Fan!

Ali is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar93 View Post
My president? I didn't know that everyone here was American
Well, I was referring to my fellow Americans, after all this is Alizee America. But you Canadians could chime along, I remember watching a clip where Canadians were cheering and crying when he was inaugurated , I couldn't help but get somewhat emotional too. Barack Obama in essence is the President of the World, not only because he is the President of the richest most powerful country in the World, hence, the most powerful man on planet Earth, but his appeal stretches around the world, billions of people around the world was celebrating his inauguration. I will never forget the moment he was inaugurated, I was at University with my fellow students who packed the television sets and the big projectors that was set up for the inauguration. Everybody was cheering and clapping when he was inaugurated. A day to remember! It's nice to finally have a President who is smart for once and not a bumbling buffoon who makes an ass of himself each time he opens his mouth. We finally have a President who can pronounce the word, "nuclear" properly. YAYYYY!!!

Last edited by Ali; 01-22-2009 at 01:37 AM..
Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 AM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsluver41 View Post
The title is a perpetual reminder of the history, legacy, and sacrifice of an entire people; it ties one to one's roots. And in the case of Afro-Americans, with slavery, civil rights, and all that, this is especially important. My parents are from another country, and I know I wield the left side of my hyphenated "label" with great pride .
Did you know that many africans resent the label african-american or afro-american? To them, you are american plain and simple. I was once invited to a 'mix' wedding. A friend of mine (she is black) from high school, invited me to her wedding. She asked me if it bothered me if this was going to be a mixed wedding. I told her not at all. When I arrived at the church I was shocked to see the groom and the groomsmen were all black. The wedding ceremony was beautiful. Yes, I cried my eyes out. At the reception, I finally cornered her and asked what the 'mixed' wedding was all about. As it turned out, her husband is from Kenya. He, and his entire family, felt that she was an american and not from Kenya. Therefore, this was a mixed marriage.

It's wonderful that you have pride in the history of your ancestors just as I do. I loved listening my grandparents telling me what it was like living in Spain and coming to America.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Choosy moms choose Tchaikovsky

Tchaikovsky is on a distinguished road

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSd2yaqBKOw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSd2yaqBKOw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>
Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Alizée's FireFighter

Youpidou1 is on a distinguished road

Oh I am sorry for the United States to go through this...

FACT OF THE DAY: Two Million People went to the inauguration. 16 missed work.

Funny I slept halfway through the whole ceromony...maybe I was tired or maybe it bored me...does that make me racist? I am in trouble.

My signature says it all.

Close down Guantanamo bay? Already a bad move. That's one for Obama.

Rocket I can answer your question...He doesn't hold his hand over his heart and doesn't wear an American flag pin. Why should we call him an American if he doesn't respect the flag and the nation.

Bring on the liberals!!!

DID ANYONE BUY THERE OBAMA DINNER PLATE OFF TV FOR $19.99????????? CALL NOW!!! For all those who are interested you must pay in change...

http://www.victoryplate.com/?directL...EB0C11914BC0B6

All you need is 1 Truck.

Last edited by Youpidou1; 01-22-2009 at 11:44 PM..
Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 PM
no use for a title

nurvonic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchaikovsky View Post
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSd2yaqBKOw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSd2yaqBKOw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>
ahahaaa. good stuff. i know they do that for comedic purposes, but in reality listen to the difference in tone between the two. obama has this sense of assertion and purpose while bush doesnt seem to give a damn. and it showed over the course of 8 years.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 PM
A-Team

edgar93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar
My president? I didn't know that everyone here was American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Well, I was referring to my fellow Americans, after all this is Alizee America. But you Canadians....
We Canadians? I didn't know I was Canadian

lol just kidding Ali, Im not Canadian but as you can see I live in Canada. I don't really like to talk about politics, and less if it is an Alizee forum, and even less if Im not American or reside on the states. Not that I don't care though.
I do know that Obama's election will affect everyone's daily life, including me, so I do care about it. I just hope that he will act wisely as every president should do.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Alizée's FireFighter

Youpidou1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar93 View Post
We Canadians? I didn't know I was Canadian

lol just kidding Ali, Im not Canadian but as you can see I live in Canada. I don't really like to talk about politics, and less if it is an Alizee forum, and even less if Im not American or reside on the states. Not that I don't care though.
I do know that Obama's election will affect everyone's daily life, including me, so I do care about it. I just hope that he will act wisely as every president should do.
Already did, this week was the biggest week I have seen for fires and car accidents, fire departments have been overwhelmed.

All you need is 1 Truck.
Closed Thread