Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 10-19-2006, 06:25 PM

General Patton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd716 View Post
Welcome erben!!!! Tell me, coming from the country that Alizée is most proud of, when did you learn of her?
WHAT?
Alizee is most proud of ENGLAND??? WTF
Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 PM

Twitch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Patton View Post
WHAT?
Yes, she has stated that because French artists very rarely if ever break into the UK markets she was quite proud of having her album sell well enough there to be invited to perform there. It was how she answered when asked what was her favourite country that she performed in was, saying she had no favourite but was most proud of being able to perform in the UK.

And welcome to the site erben

Last edited by Twitch; 10-19-2006 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-19-2006, 07:13 PM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
Yes, she has stated that because French artists very rarely if ever break into the UK markets
Not only the French artists of course. The British music market is almost 100% closed to anything non-English. The US market is even worse I think .
Old 10-19-2006, 10:47 PM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFrenchie View Post
Not only the French artists of course. The British music market is almost 100% closed to anything non-English. The US market is even worse I think .
Well, not quite. We get a rather large number of British imports (especially in the indie rock scene..."hipster" bands from the UK do quite well in the current NYC scene...see the Arctic Monkeys, Editors, etc). Non-English speaking bands don't do well in America, at all. Except maybe Spanish-language, and then that's a niche market.

It made me laugh when The Cars had that #1 song in every country but the U.S., and got all pissed-off about it in an interview. Sorry, kids. We didn't like your song. Deal with it.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

rwd716 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Patton View Post
WHAT?
Yeah, she said it here at about 22:00
http://moi-alizee.us/play/?v=4
Old 10-20-2006, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Greg View Post
Well, not quite. We get a rather large number of British imports (especially in the indie rock scene..."hipster" bands from the UK do quite well in the current NYC scene...see the Arctic Monkeys, Editors, etc). Non-English speaking bands don't do well in America, at all. Except maybe Spanish-language, and then that's a niche market.
Oops, I meant that the British market is closed to "non-in-English" material, not to stuff from outside their country. And so you're confirming me when I said it also applies to the US (even worse?).
Old 10-20-2006, 06:35 PM
100th Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFrenchie View Post
Oops, I meant that the British market is closed to "non-in-English" material, not to stuff from outside their country. And so you're confirming me when I said it also applies to the US (even worse?).
In that case, definitely. I don't know how bad it is in Britain, so I can't say if it's "worse" or not, but we get a song with some non-English lyrics in the US maybe once or twice every 10 yrs, if that. Sting's "Desert Rose" (some lyrics in Arabic) comes to mind, as does Rammstein's "Du Hast."

In fact, without doing any research, I'd guess that Rammstein's song might be the only non-English single to hit it big in the US in a VERY long time...maybe since another German song, Nena's "99 Luftballoons" in the early 1980s. Either way, it's nearly impossible for songs with non-English lyrics to get played on US radio...except Alizée in Piscataway NJ, of course.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:58 PM

I dont't know if Alizée did it well in England with her four songs in English, after Moi..Lolita.
RMJ where are you?
Old 10-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Faithful Fan

bt_bird_90 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Greg View Post
In that case, definitely. I don't know how bad it is in Britain, so I can't say if it's "worse" or not, but we get a song with some non-English lyrics in the US maybe once or twice every 10 yrs, if that. Sting's "Desert Rose" (some lyrics in Arabic) comes to mind, as does Rammstein's "Du Hast."

In fact, without doing any research, I'd guess that Rammstein's song might be the only non-English single to hit it big in the US in a VERY long time...maybe since another German song, Nena's "99 Luftballoons" in the early 1980s. Either way, it's nearly impossible for songs with non-English lyrics to get played on US radio...except Alizée in Piscataway NJ, of course.
"Macarena"
Sorry, I had to
Old 10-20-2006, 09:43 PM
100th Member

Good call! I forgot all about that one. Still, that makes Desert Rose the only "serious" single to be a big hit in the US while having non-English lyrics.

Macarena, 99 Luftballoons, Du Hast...these were all accepted as "fad" songs. They were considered bubble-gum pop that people think are funny, but don't really respect as great songs.

(As a side note, my friend works with a German girl who says Rammstein aren't popular in Germany...which is why they came to the States).