Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoepick View Post
I know I'm new and all but I would like to participate, Is there a certain time/day when this goes on? I'm an online gamer so i'm pretty experienced with vent.
It's usually on a Weekend.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:41 AM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
It's usually on a Weekend.
Right. Though the last three have been hosted on Saturdays, we're going to be moving to Sundays in the future now that I'm no longer on-call.

And everyone is welcome to participate, of course! The only prerequisite is that you have to adore Lili! So if you're on this forum...guess what, you qualify!

(And you don't even have to be from this forum in particular, either! In fact, on that note, I'm going to make a point of posting an invitation on LTUSA and AF for the next one...)

Anyway...I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been more discussion about possible topics, especially given that we touched on quite a few during the afterparty of the last recording. So in a blatant attempt to spur some discussion and kickstart the brainstorm, here's a short list of potential topics to get us started:

Pourquoi Alizée?: An introduction to Alizée fandom, and a discussion of why in particular we're all crazy about this girl half a world away who sings in a language that 90% of us don't understand in the first place. I think this would be good for an initial episode.

The Impossible Dream: Bringing Alizée to America—achievable goal, or fantastic pipe dream? There’s been sporadic, some might say heroic, efforts made here and there to further the cause…but are we just tilting at windmills in the name of Dulcinea? What will it take? Are we up to the challenge? And what lessons can we take from the Mexican miracle, and from Yelle’s C’est Amerique tour?

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow: The many hairstyles of Alizée, as discussed and debated by a handful of ostensibly heterosexual males. This has the potential to be a double episode.

Parlez-vous francais?: How important is an understanding of French, both the language and the culture, to an appreciation of Lili and her music? A few of us take it upon ourselves to learn the language and painstakingly translate lyrics and interviews, but most of us are content to just hum along. Are we missing out?

Parlez-vous anglais?: Are we pro- or anti- Lili singing in English? Appreciated, or does it ruin the mystique? The English versions of the MCE songs are widely derided as being inferior, but I kinda dig Amelie. Would it help if they more accurately reflected the source material? How do we feel about her doing English covers like Hung Up or Sound of Silence?

Metalizée: If you drew a Venn diagram of Heavy Metal fans and Alizée fans, you might be surprised at how big the overlap was. (I know I constantly am.) So seriously dudes, what gives? Are the rest of us who aren’t Metal fans missing something?

eBée: Some fans have spent a small-to-medium-sized fortune on their Alizée collections. Me, I’m content with just four CDs and a DVD. What drives fans to have everything? At what point does it become too much? What’s the most expensive, most amazing, or most ridiculous Lili item you’ve seen for sale?

VousTube: The art of the fanvid. Despite having a relatively limited amount of source material available to work from, some very creative tribute videos have been created over the years. We discuss our favorites, and talk about what sets them apart. (Ideally, I’d like to have somebody who’s actually created a fanvid on this one, so we can discuss their process from beginning to end.)

Alizée vs. Alizée: Stealing blatantly from the Alizée Nation blog, I see this as a recurring segment. We take different performances (music video, TV performance, concert) of the same song and face them off against each other, debating which is the best. For a little bit of added interactivity, we post a poll after the episode and get the community to vote on which they like best.

(Album) Thunderdome!: Ten songs enter, only one song leaves. We pit the songs from an album against each other in a round-robin tournament, voting on which we prefer, until one emerges as the sole survivor! A silly idea, to be sure, but one that’s bound to generate some fun and heated debate among the participants.

Thoughts? Like 'em? Dislike 'em? Think they're terribly cheesy? (Some are deliberately so, I must admit.) Have some ideas of your own? Sound off!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:42 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
Pourquoi Alizée?: An introduction to Alizée fandom, and a discussion of why in particular we're all crazy about this girl half a world away who sings in a language that 90% of us don't understand in the first place. I think this would be good for an initial episode.
Oh man. You're just opening a tasty can of worms with that one. Ok. That sounded weird. Anyway, you heard my interview entry from way back. I've had much time to think about Alizée and why her. In fact, I was just thinking about that today. How much time do you have? I don't know. I think I'd have to formulate that one right to talk about it. That will take some energy though. I don't know if I can do it. Tired.
Quote:
The Impossible Dream: Bringing Alizée to America—achievable goal, or fantastic pipe dream? There’s been sporadic, some might say heroic, efforts made here and there to further the cause…but are we just tilting at windmills in the name of Dulcinea? What will it take? Are we up to the challenge? And what lessons can we take from the Mexican miracle, and from Yelle’s C’est Amerique tour?
That's tempting to say something about right now. Of course, that would be wasted if we did do the topic. You have some good thoughts man.
Quote:
Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow: The many hairstyles of Alizée, as discussed and debated by a handful of ostensibly heterosexual males. This has the potential to be a double episode.
hair hair! Now that's a topic. Actually, I think this topic would be best done if one were to get a series of good shots of every hair style we have a photo for and put into chronological order with the date (approx.) and possibly the specific occasion. Then one could talk about it. It is a tempting subject. I don't know why anyone thinks that hair is not important to guys. It totally is, on a woman. Though true, I don't know how much there is to actually say about it.
Quote:
Parlez-vous francais?: How important is an understanding of French, both the language and the culture, to an appreciation of Lili and her music? A few of us take it upon ourselves to learn the language and painstakingly translate lyrics and interviews, but most of us are content to just hum along. Are we missing out?
oh oh me me! pick me! my hand is up.

Quote:

VousTube:
The art of the fanvid. Despite having a relatively limited amount of source material available to work from, some very creative tribute videos have been created over the years. We discuss our favorites, and talk about what sets them apart. (Ideally, I’d like to have somebody who’s actually created a fanvid on this one, so we can discuss their process from beginning to end.)
We have people who have recently created stuff, like ScruffyDog from AF and who was the other one? Anyway, I think he created the Moi... Lolita vid that shows a little bit of a bunch of ML videos, maybe all the ones he has, in chronological order all synced up into one video.

I'm not commenting on all of those, but I really like nearly all of them, maybe more than you do. I think you just covered a darn good pile of subjects that one could really spend some time on. And you know, to get back to what I said before, one could use videos or even just photos to associate with nearly all of those. Ah! I don't even have time to be typing this now. But you have contributed well here and good luck with that audio. I wish it was easier. Looks like we might have to push the next commentary back a week, eh? What we need most is probably just good participation, but it's nice to have some comments prepared. When we had like 5 to 8 people actually in the conversation with their audio working, that went pretty well I think. I just hope I won't have to miss any of these. But, I may very well be going to Paris I've now decided (should know by the end of this week I think) and that may distract me a bit. Then there's the Les Enfoirés video coming soon too. I probably will not end up watching all of that before the end of the month I'm guessing.

Merci Fanny

Last edited by Roman; 03-01-2009 at 05:45 AM..
Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And everyone is welcome to participate, of course! The only prerequisite is that you have to adore Lili! So if you're on this forum...guess what, you qualify!
Quote:
Are the rest of us who aren’t Metal fans missing something?
the Metal

Last edited by jung_adore_ALIZEE; 03-01-2009 at 12:16 PM..
Old 03-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Metalizée: If you drew a Venn diagram of Heavy Metal fans and Alizée fans, you might be surprised at how big the overlap was. (I know I constantly am.) So seriously dudes, what gives? Are the rest of us who aren’t Metal fans missing something?
I love you Ruroshen.
I love you.
You're amazing!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 AM
Sunglasses wearing bloke

Chommpers is on a distinguished road

Great cover of topics there Ruro, should lead to some good talks. If I think of any to add I will chime in, but a bit too tired to think right now. If Sunday is a go I might be able to make them then, so sounds like good news to me.

^ By the beautifully creative Amelie! Merci!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Exclamation

Hey guys, I know it's short notice, but my Sunday off got unexpectedly switched around on me this month. Would anybody be up for recording the first of these this weekend, in lieu of doing a commentary?

I'm thinking 'Pourquoi Alizée' for the first one. Might as well get the hardcore fan-wankery out of the way early, I figure.

Yes/No/Maybe so?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:33 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

I shall not be able to make it this weekend my friend as I have other affairs that I must be getting to

HAPPY FUN TIMES FOR ME

Old 03-05-2009, 12:35 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey guys, I know it's short notice, but my Sunday off got unexpectedly switched around on me this month. Would anybody be up for recording the first of these this weekend, in lieu of doing a commentary?

I'm thinking 'Pourquoi Alizée' for the first one. Might as well get the hardcore fan-wankery out of the way early, I figure.

Yes/No/Maybe so?
sure. I suppose if I can get myself to sit down for a couple hours I can come up with something for that. It's hard to do without spending some time on it. It's not a short answer. One can answer simply or write a doctoral thesis on it. Seriously, that wouldn't be a bad idea for someone seeking the appropriate degree in psychology.
In any case, if others want to, I certainly am currently up for taking a shot at it. Whatever I say will no doubt be inadequate, but that's life.

Merci Fanny
Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 AM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
I shall not be able to make it this weekend my friend as I have other affairs that I must be getting to

HAPPY FUN TIMES FOR ME
Heh. Just don't do anything I wouldn't do.

...or anything I would, for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
sure. I suppose if I can get myself to sit down for a couple hours I can come up with something for that. It's hard to do without spending some time on it. It's not a short answer. One can answer simply or write a doctoral thesis on it. Seriously, that wouldn't be a bad idea for someone seeking the appropriate degree in psychology.
In any case, if others want to, I certainly am currently up for taking a shot at it. Whatever I say will no doubt be inadequate, but that's life.
You underestimate yourself, sir. Your contribution thus far has been invaluable, and I have no reason to believe it would be otherwise in the future. We're honored to have you aboard, as always.