Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

View Poll Results: Favorite song on Une Enfant du Siecle?
Eden Eden 17 16.67%
Grand Central 12 11.76%
Limelight 4 3.92%
La Candida 5 4.90%
Les Collines 17 16.67%
14 Decembre 3 2.94%
A Coeur Fendre 10 9.80%
Factory Girl 10 9.80%
Une Fille Difficile 4 3.92%
Mes Fantomes 20 19.61%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2010, 11:31 PM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

Oh, I get it, all right! Anybody who dies without having heard her voice, they are cursed, I believe. All who here her are lucky; that line in particular is the most beautiful sound ever. It's too bad I shall never hear it live but I did hear it, and I am thankful every time I do. It always gives me shivers, it just causes me to drop what I am doing for those 2 seconds, and only focus on her. Because that line, 'my toys', or 'my games', whichever she means, it raises the hair on every inch of my skin; it makes me shudder; it fills my hearty with warm, happy love; it makes my eyes close, as I imagine her face; it makes me thankful that I am alive; it makes me sad so many have died and will die without hearing it; it tells me that the whole world has not turned to evil; it makes me love her that much more; it does so much, and more!
Old 04-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

I was just thinking . . . on all of Alizée's albums, there are three songs in particular that showcase her voice, the range, clarity, and power. They are, in my opinion:

Coeur déjà pris from MCE

Idealiser from Psychédélices

and

Mes fantômes from Un enfant du siecle

I find myself listening to that last song over and over again. Wonderful. Oh, I also relate particularly well (never mind why) to these lyrics from it:

Oh mes amours, nos jeux troublants, tes yeux brûlants, mes larmes, mes miracles
Oh mes secrets, mes oeuvres au noir, sans l'air d'y croire, mes regrets, mes silences

But this whole song seems to me to be stepping out of the "playing a role" thing that for the most part characterizes this album. I think this is about her.

There are a few lines from some of the other songs that I think do the same thing, such as

Auprès des Hespérides, j'irai panser
De grans felins timides, des cygnes bléssés

from Les Collines. But I think the whole of Mes fantômes does.

And oh, my god, THAT VOICE!

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 04-20-2010, 02:09 AM
Merci Alizée

Default Finally!!!

I got my copy of UEdS yesterday and now after listening it, I can say that my favorites from this album are :

Mes Fantômes

Factory Girl

14 Décembre

Mes Fantômes is a very beautiful song and I liked it very much. I can listen to this album whole day.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:05 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road

Okay, I`ve finally decided, and voted for 14 Décembre. But it took me this long to make up my mind- so it was a close race!
Old 04-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Ok, so I've decided to do one better and actually rank all the songs of the album in my preference order. Here we go:

1. Eden Eden
I've talked about why this is my favorite song earlier in the thread.
2. Une Fille Difficile
I've talked about why this is mmy second favorite song earlier in the thread too.
3. A Coeur Fendre
I'm not sure I can explain why I like this song so much. For such a sad song, the music is surprisingly catchy and sounds like it's been transplanted straight out of the 80s which gives it a special charm. It's also nice in that is shows off Alizée's higher register (whereas Mes Fantômes shows off you lower register).

4. 14 Décembre
This is a song I like more and more the more I listen to it. On one the first couple listenings I may have even ranked it in the bottom three, but now only the non-melodic verses keep it out of the top three.
5. Factory Girl
I love how dramatic this song is in its composition. For me, it reminds me a bit of The Show Must Go On, by Queen; while the extra loose bass string sounds in the background remind me of the musical sounds use to represent V'Ger in Star Trek the Motion Picture back in the mid 70s.
6. Les Collines
Great song enhanced in my mind by the images provided by the video. I also think that one of the interpretations for this song is that it is about addiction and being a recovering addict. After the first couple listenings, probably would have been ranked 2nd, but is here in the lower middle not because I like it less, it's just that other songs have rising above it.
7. Mes Fantômes
Great song which really shows off Alizée's power in her lower register and has a very triumphant sound (I think the list of items, when interpreted with the music is a list of things she's overcome and accomplishments. However, the song's (over?) simplicity (no verse/chorus distinction for one) keep it lower in my rankings than where a lot of people seem to place it.

8. Limelight
Unfortunately this is a song I enjoy much more for the composition of the supporting music rather than the vocal part by Alizée. I'm just not a fan of the short punctuated and separated notes in the verses ("I... don't... know..."). Also I very much prefer it when Alizée sings in french; I've always preferred french versions of song of which there is also and english version. Still, I enjoy the song.
9. La Candida
A beautiful song that drops in my preference for not being in french; I'm just naturally more inclined to be interested in learning the words and singing along when the song is in french. Also has anyone else noticed how the chorus is missing the 4th phrase that the ear naturally goes to? I think the composer did it on purpose because he thought "Every Tom, Dick, and Harry would write that forth, descending phrase; I'm gonna keep this composition unique by taking the sucker out, so there." In the end, I don't think it's bad, just a little odd, especially if you've noticed the omission and are listening for it.
10. Grand Central
This is the only song on the album that falls a little flat for me, almost entirely because it lacks a real melody to fall in love with.

*A general note on positions 4-7: The actual positions of the songs here are the most in flux and susceptible to mood, which is why I separated them in the list from the others.

Last edited by CFHollister; 04-20-2010 at 03:44 PM..
Old 04-25-2010, 04:17 PM

babyblue558 is on a distinguished road

Ahhh back when I voted in this poll a month or so ago Eden, Eden was my clear favourite but now I love most of the other songs just as much :P À coeur fendre is particularly amazing
Old 04-25-2010, 04:35 PM
That One Dude

thatoneguy is on a distinguished road

Sounds better from beginning to end. But my favorite is definitely "Mes Fantomes". Decent album, but not amazing, in my opinion. Still good though.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:03 PM

Wow, 80 results? Wow, I wish all the polls were so extensive.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Here's another thing I'd like to comment about.

With all her other albums, I listened to her songs in any order and I liked it best that way. But with UEdS, I find that it's best to listen to the songs in order.

Just a small but interesting point.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:21 PM

I only ever listen to UEdS in order. I get on youtube, find Eden Eden, and just go down the list.