Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-18-2010, 02:45 AM
Alizée Cake Bandit!

Nubcake is on a distinguished road
Default My French?

This is just a waste of space, going to constantly update/edit blog about my experience learning the French language so people who follow know what to expect hopefully and gives them a heads up. Those who have some helpful tips or if I'm learning it wrong please point it out.

I'm using Rosetta Stone

1: La/Le/El/Elle all sound almost the same right now so its a bit hard what they are refering to
2: R/C/S, ENT seem to be silent so I don't hear them also and makes trying to pronouce the word tricky, and how words flow together it just adds to it.

Example:
garcon(boy) sounds like gassum
des garcons(multiple boys) sounds like degasum
un garcon(1 boy) sounds like ungassum
la fille court(1 girl running)lafeecour
les filles courent(multiple girls running)lefeecour

*Update
While using roestta stone it don't tell you what new words are so google them for translations, this helps.
Found out you don't need to dwell on the same lesson over and over, so if you just find yourself stuck, rest, and repeat it, no need to master it.
Visit this site ---> Click Me!<--- It helps so you can practice what you already know and how to prefect your words with techniques while your away from your computer.
On another note, I know some of you are looking for the sleep and wake up learning tapes, those wount help, but listening to them will help you pronunce words so i'll advise it, also yes it seems difficult at first but if you keep at it, you'll see/hear it all come together.

Currently reading it is a LOT easier than listening and understand it still.

Last edited by Nubcake; 09-20-2010 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 09-18-2010, 02:54 AM

MarkL is on a distinguished road

Yea, thats what its like. I took french in school for 6 years so I can speak it a tad, reading is no problem at all but understanding it :S...especially when the French speak it so fast
Old 09-18-2010, 04:51 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

"gassum" is a little off

you can't neglect the "r" sound, and although it does end in an "n" you don't pronounce it (even if it did end in "m", you wouldn't pronounce it either)

I don't know how well you pronounce the French "r", but "garçon" would sound more like

"ga*r*so(nasal n)"
Old 09-18-2010, 05:10 AM
Alizée Cake Bandit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
"gassum" is a little off

you can't neglect the "r" sound, and although it does end in an "n" you don't pronounce it (even if it did end in "m", you wouldn't pronounce it either)

I don't know how well you pronounce the French "r", but "garçon" would sound more like

"ga*r*so(nasal n)"
I have a new york, mexican with a little southern accent kind of, it's 2am right now and my friends are all drunk just laughing at the way I sound speaking some french. Took me over 100 trys so for it to understand 'sandwich' I'm already growing worry about this task.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Psychédélices era fan.

Marquis<3Alizée is on a distinguished road

Yeah French can be pretty compleicated, as of right now I'm laying off with French. I'm learning Spanish since I'm Latino and I go to all Latino school. I speak somewhat good in Spanish since my abuela tought me a little but I need to know more. I really need to learn Puerto Rican slang since I'm PR and a lot of kids speak it at my school.

Merci beaucoup Alizée for everything!

http://www.youtube.com/user/limelight8494
Old 09-18-2010, 11:29 AM

MarkL is on a distinguished road

yea nub, probably the weirdest part is learning how to conjugate all the verbs with diff endings (er, ir, re) then if you thought that wasnt bad enough theres irregular verbs that do retarded things.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road

In French, does the letter R tend to make a H sound?

I ask because I'm listening to Appelle mon numéro by Mylène Farmer, and when she says the word «numéro» it sounds like «numého» or «numéjo».
Old 09-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Alizée Cake Bandit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmith View Post
In French, does the letter R tend to make a H sound?

I ask because I'm listening to Appelle mon numéro by Mylène Farmer, and when she says the word «numéro» it sounds like «numého» or «numéjo».
I'm still early in the learning and rosetta stone is making me guess a lot on how to pronounce a word correctly so I find myself outsourcing for help. I found this site very helpful so sure you well also.---->CLICK ME!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road

Thanks. *bookmarked*
Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Alizée Cake Bandit!

Ok, so I just got back from court and those who cared.. this is what happened: I only need to do 1 day jail time, 36 month suspended license or have an interlock installed on the ignition starter with a probationary license and 13 days of cal-trans, complete MADD and AAA while on summary probation. The fee/court assesments/classes total is about 1000 bucks!

On another note, this is a french thread.. I've been reading every book I can get my hands on, the Thomas Michael is a good one, it'll allow you speak basic sentances quickly but not accurate and listening to him pisses me off so much you might decide to break something, so stick to books and rosetta stone. Au revoir