Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
That's exactly what I believe to be the wrong idea. In today's world, one's base cannot be defined geographically. It's going to be anyone, anywhere, with whom one's art resonates. If that means a small percentage of the French market together with a larger share of the Mexican, Chinese, American, whatever market, so what? The only geographical considerations that even apply will be performing concerts in the end. That's a wrinkle, but nothing that can't be worked out.
It's not that it's defined geographically, but rather culturally. You can't expect to be successful with other cultures, if you can't even win over your own. I'll use the example of the current trend of the girl kpop bands. The only reason that the people here, like Barret, Jung, VVV, Srbski and all those that I haven't mentioned(just because there's too many of you! ) are even aware of them or have grown to like them is because SNSD and such are already a big hit in Korea. From there on, they can expand.

I'm not saying that she has to limit herself to a French audience, but you can't build a house without building a frame for it first.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:21 AM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile The Mylène Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
I'm not saying that she has to limit herself to a French audience, but you can't build a house without building a frame for it first.
If you look at the wealthy francophone areas of the world, during her glory days Alizée did spectacularly in France and Wallonia, not to mention other European countries where many are likely to know at least some French.

But is it true that she never charted in Canada, e.g. Québec? What little her fans have said to me about this market was not encouraging. Does anyone have hard facts?

Alizée is reputed to like (or have liked) soccer. Maybe she can get into hockey. She would look cute in a hockey outfit, but should draw the line at blacking out her front teeth!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:15 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
But isn't her positive vibe a big contributing factor to her appeal? I thought that added to her success while she had it- she always did feel-good, happy songs with only an occasional sad ballad. There's so much negative music in the world today, so many partying-while-trashed and sex tunes (I'm looking at you, Gaga!), and Alizee sings (sang?) about nice things and that was a total breath of fresh air.
To be extremely brief, I think you are right. I think Deep has a point, though I'm not so sure it really applies that way to Alizée. There is a reason why she collaborated with others to write lyrics and music.

Perhaps the relevant point is just about requiring a continual source of strong emotion, which if channelized will keep one focused and reaching deep. As for performing or creating artistically, perhaps in Deep's scenario of a life, it's the catharsis of filling one's self up with the pursuit of excellence in one's craft that provides motivation. Whatever her emotional make up, standing in front of thousands and singing her long practiced songs with the crowd screaming her name must have been a truly awesome experience.

In any case, it seems that to create something great requires great dedication. Being wishy washy just leaves one ordinary at best. I don't know if Alizée is wishy washy, but I do get a sense that she has a lot more going on in her life that makes her feel normal and satisfied than anything that has to do with making music or performing on stage. So, to follow Deep's point, if she didn't have that ability to feel normal in her life, she might be more greatly motivated to seek it elsewhere and if lucky that would be in channeling excellence rather than abusing drugs. Finding the strength of bravery and discipline in overcoming adversity is one thing, but I wonder if one must invite compulsion as well in order to follow work beyond what one estimates is the minimum effort necessary.

There's a great line from the movie Gattaca where the one brother explains how he out-swam his genetically engineered and presumed superior brother when they swam a race into the ocean and then back to the shore. In this race, whoever stopped and gave up first lost. He always lost until one day he figured out how to win. He finally explained it to his brother: "You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back."

Merci Fanny
Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Corsican beauty

Ange is on a distinguished road

I think Alizee lost her fans because the melodies were all wrong. She needs laurent.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I definitely miss LB's music. I put this video together soome time ago, to kind of show case it. Try not to be distracted by the video when you're listening to it.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XtMkMw2Bp9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-01-2011, 11:49 AM

JoeNY is on a distinguished road

What a coincidence that this topic appeared at the top of the forum. I was going to ask this same question on the weekend, but I decided to limit myself in creating new topics.

I read comments from Frenchies on Alizee's Youtube videos that seem to discount her popularity in France. Some even writing that she's unknown to most people in France. That's a bit hard to believe since she's had over a hundred TV performances in France from 2000 to 2005. I often get the impression that Frenchies don't respect her work with Farmer. I'll admit that the English translations of her big hits do seem very juvenile and like bubble gum pop music. As an American, I always felt that about Britney Spears' music and never respected her as an artist. I often wondered if Britney's success was driven by overseas fans, because she was a joke as a music artist in the U.S. Is that how French fans feel about Alizee? Is Alizee their version of Britney Spears? Because God knows, everyone in the U.S. (maybe Mexico, UK, and the Far East too) who has ever seen or heard Alizee loves this girl. (BTW, my comparing Alizee to Britney makes me sick because Alizee is far more talented and beautiful than Britney.)

I really wonder if Alizee has more fans in the U.S. than France now. There are 300 million people here compared to 60 million in France. And more Americans are discovering Alizee just now.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNY View Post
I really wonder if Alizee has more fans in the U.S. than France now. There are 300 million people here compared to 60 million in France. And more Americans are discovering Alizee just now.
Well Alizée has fans the world over!

Hopefully in years to come our childrens children will discover Alizée and say WOW!

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur
Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmith View Post
Alizée isn't Rocky Balboa.
Eye of The Tiger, Alizee!!! Eye of The Tiger!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Corsican beauty

Ange is on a distinguished road

There are 7. 2 billion people in the world so .. everyone loves music and people will love Alizee no matter what.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 AM

The more I think about this topic, the more I realize why Alizee had to break away from Mylene. The French simply outgrew Alizee much like American pre-teens outgrew Britney. The English translations to Mylene's lyrics were horrible, but the French lyrics were probably not much better. Singing about goldfish and bubble baths is for bubble gum pop artists in their teens, not in their 20s. This probably explains why Alizee gets so much love from non-French audiences. They just love her voice and the tunes composed by LB. La Isla Bonita and Ella Elle L'a are her most populat songs on Youtube, and they aren't even written by the Mylene/LB duo. It's all about Alizee's sultry voice and the tune.