Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée News

Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 PM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanDeAliFee View Post
Christmas-season gift shopping starts in less than a month. Share the gift of Alizée with someone you care about by shopping at her online store! If you live near to other American-resident Alizée fans, you can save a lot on shipping across the Atlantic Ocean by batching your orders together, financing the purchase of even more items! And think about how cool it would be to sponsor a local sports team called the Alizées, all of whom wear Alizée-brand tee-shirts! (Be sure to send us a photo of them.)

To get yourself in the mood, download Alizée's free Christmas 2009 song with Tahiti Boy & The Palmtree Family.
Great idea! I should have thought about it before I placed my order. I could have saved some money in shipping cost, which I could have used to buy more of her stuff.
I have a question though: How come she's only selling UEDS at her store? Does it mean, she no longer get any royalty from her earlier albums?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Christmas-season gift shopping starts in less than a month. Share the gift of Alizée with someone you care about by shopping at her online store! If you live near to other American-resident Alizée fans, you can save a lot on shipping across the Atlantic Ocean by batching your orders together, financing the purchase of even more items! And think about how cool it would be to sponsor a local sports team called the Alizées, all of whom wear Alizée-brand tee-shirts! (Be sure to send us a photo of them.)

To get yourself in the mood, download Alizée's free Christmas 2009 song with Tahiti Boy & The Palmtree Family.
Christmas... *drifts off*

Can't believe it's less than 2 months away!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:50 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake04 View Post
...I have a question though: How come she's only selling UEDS at her store? Does it mean, she no longer get any royalty from her earlier albums?
Yeah, that's a really good question.

Merci Fanny
Old 10-28-2010, 03:52 AM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Sub rosa deals, or Moscow on the Hudson problem?

Quote:
...How come she's only selling UEDS at her store? Does it mean, she no longer get any royalty from her earlier albums?
I don't know how music recording deals are structured now, but please note that her stuff has been published under more than a single label. First it was Polydor, then RCA, and now Sony's Jive/Epic division, working in concert with her family firm, Wisteria Song.

Even if her contracts with previous labels were to provide her no further royalties, one would think that they would find it of advantage to buy ad space in her store which links to retail channels which sell her old stuff. When Sony signed her, she may have gotten a sweeter deal by agreeing to stipulations which limit how she can promote the work she did for other labels. If someone can only afford to buy a single Alizée album, I don't doubt that Sony wants them to choose the one which they publish.

I do not have time to search for a citation, but I recall Alizée quoted as saying something like that her deal with Sony lets her control UEdS as well. I interpreted that to mean she enjoys additional privileges and responsibilities for the sale of this album than was the case for her previous ones. This may incentivise a concentration on UEdS, because of a better margin.

In theory, there is "infinite free shelf space" on a Web site, so one could think that low-margin, low-velocity wares might be as welcome as high-margin, high-velocity ones.

But while in theory, giving someone more choices makes it more likely that one of them better meets his needs and desires, having to endure the burden of investigating which is the optimal mutually exclusive choice can lead to paralysis - not just delaying, but even losing, a sale. I call this the Moscow on the Hudson problem, after a famous scene in a movie of that title a generation ago. In it, Robin Williams plays a Soviet-era Russian entertainer who gets asylum in the US. At first hosted by a local family, he is sent on a shopping errand to buy coffee, as shown in the clip below.

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-260444726518487860&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>
Old 10-28-2010, 04:42 AM
"C'est de la bombe"

Quote:
I don't know how music recording deals are structured now, but please note that her stuff has been published under more than a single label. First it was Polydor, then RCA, and now Sony's Jive/Epic division, working in concert with her family firm, Wisteria Song.

Even if her contracts with previous labels were to provide her no further royalties, one would think that they would find it of advantage to buy ad space in her store which links to retail channels which sell her old stuff. When Sony signed her, she may have gotten a sweeter deal by agreeing to stipulations which limit how she can promote the work she did for other labels. If someone can only afford to buy a single Alizée album, I don't doubt that Sony wants them to choose the one which they publish.

I do not have time to search for a citation, but I recall Alizée quoted as saying something like that her deal with Sony lets her control UEdS as well. I interpreted that to mean she enjoys additional privileges and responsibilities for the sale of this album than was the case for her previous ones. This may incentivise a concentration on UEdS, because of a better margin.

In theory, there is "infinite free shelf space" on a Web site, so one could think that low-margin, low-velocity wares might be as welcome as high-margin, high-velocity ones.

But while in theory, giving someone more choices makes it more likely that one of them better meets his needs and desires, having to endure the burden of investigating which is the optimal mutually exclusive choice can lead to paralysis - not just delaying, but even losing, a sale. I call this the Moscow on the Hudson problem, after a famous scene in a movie of that title a generation ago. In it, Robin Williams plays a Soviet-era Russian entertainer who gets asylum in the US. At first hosted by a local family, he is sent on a shopping errand to buy coffee, as shown in the clip below.

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-260444726518487860&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>
Thanks again for the info, FanDeAliFee. I just hope she still gets some royalties from her earlier work as I plan on buying all her older albums.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:08 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Ok, well that explanation seemed to veer off on it's own mind train a bit at the end especially, however... It might explain something. Namely what I figured, which is that Alizée wanted to concentrate on her current release. Since Sony was the parent company of RCA I assume that means that they have all the rights that RCA did in her previous album Psychédélices. So, as Sony is only 'licensing' this album, perhaps Alizée and her collaborators are keeping all revenues and thus would prefer we not be distracted.

Of course, there's also the possibility that she just wanted to advance her new image with a new crowd that she figured probably wouldn't like her older works. And of course, when I say she I could just as easily be saying Jean-René Etienne. He has followed her around everywhere this year, apparently her manager.

Merci Fanny
Old 10-29-2010, 04:02 AM
"C'est de la bombe"

That happens in the entertainment industry. I remember the beatles selling their rights to all or most of their songs before Michael Jackson bought them in an auction. I guess we should then concentrate on promoting her newer album than the old ones.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:37 AM
"C'est de la bombe"

Woohoo! Just got my Alizee official t-shirt today or should I say yesterday? However, I guess their Large is just a Medium here. Oh well, now I already have a Christmas present for my daughter!

PS: I checked how many members were logged in right now. It almost made me sad because there were only two of us (me and Tom). However, when I look at the number of guess, there were 404! Wow! That's the most that I've seen here!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:34 AM
Euphoria

Tom is on a distinguished road

404 guests? You must've meant 40 or 44 because now there's 28.
The most guests I have seen online at the same time is about 80-90, it was around her birthday.

There's not a lot of people online at this hour as it is night in the US. The clock in New York should be 04:30 AM right now and 01:30 AM in Los Angeles.

Btw, I've also been thinking of getting a T-Shirt.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:08 AM
On a hiatus break

Aayush is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Woohoo! Just got my Alizee official t-shirt
Congratulations

Tags
alizee, official store