Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I will definietely look into your suggestions FanDeAliFee, but there's a very strong possibility I may have to move next year due my company down sizing in Boston and there's a very strong possiblity I may wind up in Texas. How ironic.

For those who might think I might just be using the people in these forums for my own purpose of promoting Alizée, I've found that in just about every one of these forums, there is a travel section and I've made several posts, some quite long, giving people advice, some examples of which I've posted below. So I think my being a part of those forums, has been beneficial to several of their members.

Paris suggestions?
Dustoff123
posted 9:04p, 10/26/10

If you go to Sacre Coeur, make sure you go to Montmarte which is right by Sacre Coeur. It's a famouus area where a bunch of artists hang out and paint peoples portraits.

Versailles is definitely a day trip. The best thing to do is go one of those tours that will get you past the long lines. If you go on your own, there are long lines to get tickets and long lines to get in. There are places in the metro where you can get a ticket to get in which will save you from waiting in one of those long lines. Get there early.

Another place you might want to consider seeing is the Pantheon and the nearby Luxembourg park in the Latin quarter.

As someone has touched upon. You have to be careful when you are near the major tourist attractions like the Eiffel tower or Notre Dame. Typically there are a lot of Gypsies that hang out there and do a lot of begging. They have different scams going to.

One which someone else already mentioned was the ring scam. What they tried with me is a woman was walking towards me and shortly before she got to me she bent over and pretended to pick up what looked to be an expensive gold ring. They say it's against their religion to keep it so they offer it to you. Then when you think they're about to walk away, they turn around and say you should give them some money in return for the ring they gave you. There are other scams they use to and it's not just the gypsies. There are always low lifes looking to take advantage of some unsuspecting tourist.

As far as a place to stay. One year I stayed at the Belmont hotel that was about half way between the Eiffel tower and the Arc de Triumphe. The best part about being near the Eiffel tower is back in 2003 they put strobe lights all up and down the tower. They turn them on for I believe it's 5 minutes now at the top of each hour at night. It's an amazing site. Something that if your hotel is nearby, you'd probably want to see it each night you are there. The Belmont hotel was in an area that I felt safe in and was only about a 5 minute walk to a good vantage point.

One last suggestion if it hadn't been mentioned is you should definitely plan on having dinner on one of those boats on the Seine.

World war 2 travel tours
Dustoff123
posted 10:40a, 09/30/10

I would reccomend you go on your own. Rent a car and get gps. It's very easy to go from city to city, the roads are well marked with directional signs. But inside a city or town is another story. Their street signs are few and a lot of times difficult to read so like I said get gps. I know a couple of people who went with tour companies and they were both disappointed they didn't get to see more.

I would plan on spending 2 days there. I would plan 1 day of touring inside, museums and the like and the other day as outside stuff so you change your days to suit the weather.

As far as the Normandy beaches. The beaches stretch out for about 50 miles.

At the eastern end and about 10 miles inland is the Pegasus bridge where several gliders landed right next to it and captured it.
If your time is limited, I would suggest you go to Gold beach, here you will see a lot of the remnants of the mulberry harbor still on the beach and in the sea.
Of course Omaha beach is a must see with the cemetary. You probably know this is where the hardest fighting took place on the beaches.
There is another place called batterys at Longues. This is a set of German gun emplacements, just off the shore. The guns are still there making it truely impressive. Don't miss this.
There is also Point du Hoc where the rangers scaled the cliffs, only to find the Germans had moved the guns inland.

Theres a museum in Caen that gets a lot of press. I believe they call it the Peace museum now. I wouldn't waste your time here. It's mostly phots and small artifacts that are a dime a dozen that you see all over the place. There's a nice little museum in Ste Mere Eglise I liked better. This is the town where the paratrooper got hung up on the church steeple. Caen itself was pretty much destroyed during the fighting and doesn't resemble it's former self so there's not much to see here history wise except there is one old fort whose name escapes me at the moment.

You might want to see the Bayeaux tapestry while you're in this area. It's not really a tapestry but an embroidered cloth 224 feet long that which depicts the events leading up to the Norman conquest of England.as well as the events of the invasion itself. Of course it's in the town of Bayeaux, about half way between Caen and St Mere Eglise.

There's beautiful abby called Mont St Michel abot 50 miles south west of this area. It's on the coast. It was originally built so that it was surrounded by water at high tide, but now there is a causeway going out to it.

If you have time and you want to go to a great museum. There's a town called Saumur that's about 120 miles south east of Normandy. It has about 300 vehicles on display including a Tiger tank, King tiger, Panther, the three of which are difficult to find, as well as a bunch of others including T34s. Great museum.

As far as the other part of trip. There is a lot to see in this area too.
Verdun where a major battle took place in WW1 is about 55 miles to the west of the cemetary you mentioned. Bastogne where the battle of the bulge took place is about 60 miles north and then Malemedy where the massacre took place is about 30 miles past that. About 90 miles to the east is the Rhine river and Lorely rock. They have ferrys that pick you up in one town and drop you off in the next at several points along the river.

There are different forts and remnants of the same all around this area that were part of the Maginot line

If you can find a way to get some extra time over there on your vacation. Do it. You will never regret it. It's a beautiful countrry with so much to see.

I'd be glad to send you some pictures and I could print up some maps showing locations of places I've mentioned if you like. I don't know it there's a way to do it through this forum though.

[This message has been edited by Dustoff123 (edited 9/30/2010 10:46a).]

Anyone been to Costa Rica?
Dustoff123
posted 8:40a, 10/30/10

When Kennedy was president, a large childrens hospital was built in his name in San Jose, with money mostly from this country and the people there are still very grateful about that and still feel very warmly about the U.S.A.

You can use U.S. dollars just about every where you go.

There are a lot of poor people there though, mainly in the big cities, and like any where you find poor people, you have to be some what careful.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile The road ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
...there's a very strong possibility I may have to move next year due my company down sizing in Boston and there's a very strong possiblity I may wind up in Texas.
That explains a lot.

It is worrisome when our employer is looking to decrease staffing, doubly so in a time of high persistent unemployment. And moving can be unpleasant, even under the best circumstances.

But happily, in our times, the dirt-cheap cost of telecom makes it easy to keep in touch with those who are special to us, even if they live very far away. You may not be able to hug someone with a videoconference, but you can share so very much all the same. Naturally, a development like this presages decreasing use of transportation utilities, including airlines.

We all wish you the best in the coming year, Scruffy. No one questions that you have repaid Alizée for the happiness she has brought into your life and you need not feel obliged to make promoting her your life work.

Alizée will always have opportunities to perform. The only issue is whether they prove glamorous and remunerative enough to satisfy her. We live in an age where there is a cornucopia of free and nearly-free entertainment, even leaving aside the copyrighted work which is regularly and ever-more pirated. Stardom may prove to be a phenomenon which is increasingly rare and short-lived. Happily for our friend Alizée, she came along early enough to enjoy such an adventure.

Take care of yourself, Dave.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/rijj1oGRp8Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/rijj1oGRp8Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Last edited by FanDeAliFee; 11-08-2010 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: add video
Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mon Maquis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
Scruffy, as someone who had the misfortune to grow up in Texas, let me tell you that even by Texas standards Texas A&M University and the Aggies are considered particularly lowbrow and barbaric, and that's saying something.

I suggest you waste no further time with them.
Can I just say something....Yelle just had a concert in Texas yesterday...

No problems with Texas fans showing up to a "French" singers concert. You sure its really Texas that does not like French music or the way the message is being delivered...
Old 11-08-2010, 09:10 PM

I think it has to do with the way their 2 careers are being handled. One is being managed well, the other one's career is being augured straight into the ground. How her career is being managed and how are promotional efforts are carried out, are 2 totally different issues.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 11-08-2010 at 09:13 PM..
Old 11-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon Maquis View Post
No problems with Texas fans showing up to a "French" singers concert. You sure its really Texas that does not like French music or the way the message is being delivered...
I was talking less about Texas in general than about Texas A&M University, which is the venue of that web site that Scruffy participated in.

Do you know where that concert was held? The biggest cities in Texas (Houston and Dallas) are not necessarily the best ones to hold a concert in a foreign language other than Spanish. (A Spanish language concert you could do almost anywhere because of the large Mexican immigrant population.) Probably the best place would be Austin, the state capital. That city also has the University of Texas, which unlike A&M is actually a very good school and draws an above-average student body. For Texas, it's a very progressive place.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 11-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mon Maquis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
I was talking less about Texas in general than about Texas A&M University, which is the venue of that web site that Scruffy participated in.

Do you know where that concert was held? The biggest cities in Texas (Houston and Dallas) are not necessarily the best ones to hold a concert in a foreign language other than Spanish. (A Spanish language concert you could do almost anywhere because of the large Mexican immigrant population.) Probably the best place would be Austin, the state capital. That city also has the University of Texas, which unlike A&M is actually a very good school and draws an above-average student body. For Texas, it's a very progressive place.
The concert was in Austin. It was picked because of the college town and love of music there.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:39 AM

BrianO1 is on a distinguished road

Austin is the "live music capital of the world" so there are a lot of people who come here to perform. Yelle has been here a few times I think. There are many people who are open to different types of music, and many who are not. I play her music when I am at work, and tend to get some weird looks for it. I even had some old cowboy come up to me and say " turn off that Spanish crap"

But at the same time, there have been a few people who ask me "who is this?" and I talk to them for a while about Lili, and help them order a CD, (since ofc, we dont carry the music.)

But Austin does tend to have a good number of open minded people, who are willing to listen to music that may not be the "norm".

Last edited by BrianO1; 11-09-2010 at 11:46 AM..
Old 11-09-2010, 03:21 PM

BlackAnthem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post
Bit with Ben on this one.
I've done what Scruffy has done in a few Forums i have joined deliberately to promote.
I've posted a few things and then started an Alizee thread in the 'Off Topic' section.
I've never hidden the fact. I've really just announced that i want to introduce other members to a French singer i've found.
I've never had a negative reaction yet. I've had members telling me that they think it's sh*t but never anyone 'getting at me' for joining the Forum for that particular reason?
Each to their own i suppose?
But the technique of doing this does work and even if we recruit one more fan isn't it worth it?

An example -

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5180

It's easy. It works. Just do it! Don't let them grind you down Scruffy!
This is an issue. This site has kinda been giving up on the whole promoting in America ordeal. I'd like to get back to that. Here's some stuff I posted up a while back but neglected to spread the word about:

IPR Form - http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5993 - We can request to hand out sample CD's with this.

I'd like it if people looked into that. ^^

We kinda need to back to the mission. Especially since we have a lot of new people joining we're bigger than ever. Doesn't Ben have every members email? Couldn't we send out a mass email to get people involved in a project? It seems obvious to me that if they are interested the long inactive members will come back and the new members will be more active. We have a good run going here, a lot of us actually want to promote and have time and money and ideas. I know some threads have been going on about this:

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6082

Not to mention the letter we sent her? Can I get that enthusiasm back please?...and a Hell Yeah?

Last edited by BlackAnthem; 11-09-2010 at 03:26 PM..
Old 11-09-2010, 04:33 PM

I posted some time ago what I thought it would take to make this forum posting idea work. I thought I'd have to join one, then make several posts on subjects other than Alizee, so when I finally did make a posting on Alizee, they wouldn't think I was spamming.

That's what I did in the Texags forum and it worked well. Though there were some very negative posts, they represented just a very small percentage of those who viewed it, which is nearing the 3,000 mark. It's unfortumate that we may never know what the majority thought. But I don't see any other way, that we could reach such a large group with the only cost to us being time and effort and I think the college age group is a very good age group to be targeting.

I joined a Notre Dame forum and tried making an Alizee thread right away and got promptly banned from the forum. Here is another forum I joined, a sports forum I had joined it back in september, but had made only 10 posts there so far. I decided to start an Alizee thread there anyways and sure enough, because I had so few posts there, I was promptly accused of spamming. Luckily I wasn't booted.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums...d.php?t=550463

So I'm sure this is a means of promotion that is well worth continuing. There's been over 5,000 views of my posts since I started and most of them are from just 2 forums, and it has to be done the way I suggested. You have to make a number of posts on subjects other than Alizee, so when you do make a post about her, you won't be accused of spamming. They wont tolerate outsiders making posts like this, so you do have to as in the case of a college forum, lead them to believe you are in some way a part of the school.

I wish there was a way to do it with being completely honest about what we are doing, but I'm sure it wouldn't work. Besides the ends of our means is only to promote Alizee so I see nothing terrible in what I am doing. I wish this was the worst of my sins if you could even classify it as a sin. Besides, as I pointed out, I've offered numerous tips to people who started threads about their vacation plans.

The one thing I need to do is to stop getting into pissing contests with people who say anything of a negative nature. If they say her music is terrible, I'll just post some more of her songs and they say she isn't good looking, I'll just post a few more pictures of her and let the people who aren't posting, who are the majority, judge for themselves.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:59 PM

BlackAnthem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Ouch. You know what would be funny? If we all joined and made that a hot thread again. And then actually got everyone to look at it. It would shut them up. You should post a link to this thread on your thread ^^