Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-12-2011, 09:13 PM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

These songs aren't really similar at all. Plus Grandir is about a FEAR of getting old. JPVA is more about wanting to live her life without feeling tied down.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:20 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmith View Post
Well, Plus Grandir is obviously about not wanting to grow up, and Mylène was quoted as saying « Old age traumatizes me, it's what I wanted to say in the song. » It seems to make sense that the theme in JPVA comes from Mylène's own inspiration.
I have found nothing in MF’s life history prior to meeting LB that can explain her complete makeover at 23. Of course she might have had an “epiphany” at the time she met LB, but if she found her true self then, the inexorable fact remains; she suddenly fell exactly in the niche that LB built for himself since he was a child. If anyone can point me to any work from MF prior to meeting LB that shows any evidence of her being obsessed or even concerned with any such topics, I would be glad to discuss it.

Now, about the similarity between Plus grandir and JPVA, I think there is a link, but that link is tenuous. I would equate this to comparing Have You Ever Seen The Rain? from CCR to Singin’ In The Rain (well, almost...). The rain is the main carrier of both themes, but the themes have little in common. Plus grandir (the lyrics) is about the fear of suffering or dying and seems to have an undertone of lost of virginity or rape. JPVA (the lyrics) is about the rejection of the constraints of an adult life.

That being said, I guess anyone who has read my rambling before will have guessed already, I do not believe MF was the one who picked up the theme for either song. If she wrote the lyrics to both songs (and this is certainly the official versions), well, that still amounts to little proof that the concepts were hers. As I said before, lyricists have written and still do write songs to other people’s concept all the time. There is nothing so unusual about that.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:58 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
Well, contrary to what most people believe, MF was quite the middle of the run type of person before she met LB. She had a few traits that were different from the norm, but nothing major. People tend to see her as a weirdo who dressed up as a boy when she was a teenager. This might have helped to create the persona, but if you read what has been documented about her, nothing could be further from the truth. Most of my childhood friends were nut cases compare to what MF was.

You've probably mentioned it before, but I'm curious to know how long you have been familiar with Mylene and Laurent's work. We know she is originally from Canada and we know she is the most successful female singer in French history, but how popular is she in Canada or should I say the French speaking part of Canada?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:03 AM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Complete makeover? Wat? She was a model for a while before she ever met LB. Mylene's real "makeover" didn't happen until she was around 30. Mylene was EXTREMELY shy and didn't even perform live for about 3 years into her career until the media and critics started questioning her. She is a very, very private person and actually has (or had) major stage fright issues. The main reason for her big change was when she escaped to California for about a year, after an incident where a fan killed a receptionist for not letting him see her and subsequently killed himself.

What I'm saying is that Alizee and MF really aren't all that different. Mylene was called a puppet many times in the beginning of her career, so she started writing her own songs and choreographing dances. She created an image for herself, and it paid off.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
You've probably mentioned it before, but I'm curious to know how long you have been familiar with Mylene and Laurent's work. We know she is originally from Canada and we know she is the most successful female singer in French history, but how popular is she in Canada or should I say the French speaking part of Canada?
I did not really follow her career much when I was younger. I knew who she was and what were her big hits, but that is about it. I never checked her album sales, but I would say she was quite popular in Québec during the Désenchantée years. At that time, I was living a few streets away from where she lived as a child. I do not believe she was that popular over here before or after that, but I could be wrong. I only became interested in her career and persona when I started researching mind control and programming in mass oriented entertainment. That is also how I discovered LB (and Alizée). So, I have read quite a lot about LB and MF and I tend to have a different view on their careers because I am not emotionally attached to either persona.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
Complete makeover? Wat? She was a model for a while before she ever met LB. Mylene's real "makeover" didn't happen until she was around 30. Mylene was EXTREMELY shy and didn't even perform live for about 3 years into her career until the media and critics started questioning her. She is a very, very private person and actually has (or had) major stage fright issues. The main reason for her big change was when she escaped to California for about a year, after an incident where a fan killed a receptionist for not letting him see her and subsequently killed himself.

What I'm saying is that Alizee and MF really aren't all that different. Mylene was called a puppet many times in the beginning of her career, so she started writing her own songs and choreographing dances. She created an image for herself, and it paid off.
Euphoria, I do not agree with much of your analysis, but let us leave it at that in order not to clutter this thread with irrelevant stuff (as I feel this could go on for a while ). I will create a thread about LB and MF at some point and we can have a go at it then, if you still feel like it.

Last edited by Corsaire; 03-13-2011 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 03-13-2011, 03:15 PM

babyblue558 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
I have found nothing in MF’s life history prior to meeting LB that can explain her complete makeover at 23. Of course she might have had an “epiphany” at the time she met LB, but if she found her true self then, the inexorable fact remains; she suddenly fell exactly in the niche that LB built for himself since he was a child. If anyone can point me to any work from MF prior to meeting LB that shows any evidence of her being obsessed or even concerned with any such topics, I would be glad to discuss it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
As far as Mylène image-makeovers go, I'd say two key ones have happened. When she debuted with Maman a Tort in 1984 she had a very (Gourmandises) Alizée-esque image. By that I mean an apparently innocent and sweet young girl singing about things that suggest she is anything but innocent. She looked extremely young for her age at this point in her career (as did Gourmandises Alizée)

I've always seen this as a sort of "pilot Mylène" - a look that was purely experimentation and didn't last for very long. At this point in her career, from what I've heard she was very much under the influence of Laurent, so this look was probably his idea.

As I see it, next came the explicitly sexual, fragile and very dark image she kept until the early 90s - this image was instigated soon after she made it big for the first time with Libertine and therefore I think it was more her idea than the previous image. This is because, logically, the more successful someone is the more freedom they're given to do what they want now that they've proved their ability.

Then came the incident described by Euphoria, after which Mylène claimed she was "no longer afraid of death" and this resulted in a more confident image, with less of an emphasis on darkness and mystery that she's more or less stuck to.

Of course her image changes with every new album (as does Alizée's) but these are the 2 main image changes I think Mylène's had.

Last edited by babyblue558; 03-13-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Old 03-13-2011, 03:31 PM

babyblue, can't we agree to make a separate thread about this? I will soon, but I can't right now because there is too much to explain to even introduce the subject and I am too busy right now. Anyone can create a thread if they feel like discussing this right away.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:51 PM

babyblue558 is on a distinguished road

Lets take it over here... http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/show...t=2587&page=24
Old 05-18-2011, 04:05 PM

SaintÀlizee is on a distinguished road

Maybe this was mentioned on this thread already, or more likely on this forum, but I remember an interview of Alizee's where she said Julia Roberts was her favorite actress. Julia Roberts plays Tinker Bell in Hook. Just throwing that out there, if some of you didn't put the two together.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:24 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintÀlizee View Post
Maybe this was mentioned on this thread already, or more likely on this forum, but I remember an interview of Alizee's where she said Julia Roberts was her favorite actress....
Yes. An early interview for a British program.