Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-23-2011, 02:28 AM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road
Default Particles faster than light?

Interesting discovery.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...ght/50518790/1

Scientists will certainly try to verify/understand this phenomenon. It could either be some error or entirely new chapter of Physics.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
Interesting discovery.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...ght/50518790/1

Scientists will certainly try to verify/understand this phenomenon. It could either be some error or entirely new chapter of Physics.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...ec1_lnk2|98214

Speed Limit 186,000 Mps broken?
It might be more than anew chapter if their calculations turn out to be correct, you might see everything we know today rewritten!

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 09-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

I'm still stuck on a 5kg block and a 3kg block attached to the ends of a rope over a frictionless pulley...
Old 09-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
I'm still stuck on a 5kg block and a 3kg block attached to the ends of a rope over a frictionless pulley...
wait until the pulley is no longer frictionless and has max tension ... then you're in for some real fun
But please stay on topic Jalen

Old 09-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Well, I guess we will have to wait for other researchers to repeat the experiment for independent confirmation. There have been a number of "scientific breakthroughs" that have been prematurely announced to the public in recent years that were proved to be false. But if this turns out to be true, it sure could have some dramatic implications.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
Well, I guess we will have to wait for other researchers to repeat the experiment for independent confirmation. There have been a number of "scientific breakthroughs" that have been prematurely announced to the public in recent years that were proved to be false. But if this turns out to be true, it sure could have some dramatic implications.
Im getting word from many of my colleagues that they are 90% sure it is an error; we shall see.
Im actually hoping its an error just for the sake of modern physics ... this would not be a breakthrough but a MAJOR hole/set back in our understanding of everything!

Old 09-24-2011, 02:45 AM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
There are more chances of error than particles traveling faster than light. Scientists will certainly take the results with pinch of salt.

If it's proved to be true, then Mr. Einstein won't like it.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Corrupt mods? No way!

HelixSix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
Im getting word from many of my colleagues that they are 90% sure it is an error; we shall see.
Im actually hoping its an error just for the sake of modern physics ... this would not be a breakthrough but a MAJOR hole/set back in our understanding of everything!
I've never seen an argument against scientific progression like that before. Saying that a breakthrough is a set back...

If modern physics was wrong (or anything for that matter) wouldn't you want to move forward and try to understand the truth? It's what science is all about. We'd be nothing without that curiosity and willingness to be wrong about something because as long as somebody is right it's an accomplishment.

Discoveries are made all the time that disprove previous things. They just aren't at a scale that this could be.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
There are more chances of error than particles traveling faster than light. Scientists will certainly take the results with pinch of salt.

If it's proved to be true, then Mr. Einstein won't like it.
LOl yea ... its very easy to make simple rounding and calculation errors when dealing with numbers of that magnitude.
Yea I dont think he would lol!

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelixSix View Post
I've never seen an argument against scientific progression like that before. Saying that a breakthrough is a set back...

If modern physics was wrong (or anything for that matter) wouldn't you want to move forward and try to understand the truth? It's what science is all about. We'd be nothing without that curiosity and willingness to be wrong about something because as long as somebody is right it's an accomplishment.

Discoveries are made all the time that disprove previous things. They just aren't at a scale that this could be.
First let me start by saying IT IS COMING TO BE THAT THIS WAS MOST LIKELY AN ERROR!
Second, you make a good argument I however disagree. If you call 200 years of scientific progression being rendered complete garbage and having to rewrite everything we thought we knew after simple newton mechanics a break through than that's good, you are an optimist. However this would not be moving forward but moving back. Of course if modern physics was wrong I would want to understand the truth, I just am just hoping it is not!

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 09-24-2011 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts