Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-25-2011, 02:05 AM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
Obsession isn't always entirely negative. I am quite obsessed with many artists, but I know that they are just regular people. I've met fans that completely quit following her because she did a couple things they didn't like. It's unfair because it can give an artist a ton of pressure to not move forward. I think a lot of Alizee fans tend to put her on a pedestal and deny reality.
I don't quite understand what you meant with these statements. They kind of contradict each other. On one hand you were saying a lot of her fans quit because she changed and thought it was unfair for her as it would put pressure on her not to move forward.

But, on the other hand, you were saying a lot of us put her on a pedestal and deny reality. I assume you're referring to those of us who remain loyal to her no matter what she does or what she has done?

So, are you saying: Although you thought it was unfair for some of her fans to abandon her because she changed, that we, her remaining fans should do the same becasue Alizee had changed and was no longer the same singer that we once admired?
Old 11-25-2011, 03:03 AM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

I think she means that people hold her up to an unrealistic standard, then freak out when she actually acts like a normal human.

For example, I remember the early days of UEdS. The CD hadn't even come out yet, but we'd seen some promotional photoshoots that generally established the feel of the album. One of my first posts was in a thread talking about how they were no longer an Alizee fan because she had changed her look. The OP felt that she didn't seem to carry the same "innocent", sweet vibe she used to as a result. A lot of people agreed with him. In retrospect, I think that was a little bit of an overreaction because it was the first time Alizee had ever tried something dramatically different with her style and music. Rather than wait it out to see where that style went, think about what the change meant personally to Alizee, and appreciate her effort to branch out, they just concluded that the real Alizee didn't live up to the standard of the perfect Lolita character they had in their mind and decided that they were done with her.

I think that was really unfair to her. A "true fan" would have waited to see how the new direction evolved, or at least come up with some constructive, realistic reason to stop being a fan rather than saying "She isn't pretending to be the person I wanted her to be, so I don't like her anymore". Euphoria made a good point.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée

Last edited by Azhiri; 11-25-2011 at 03:06 AM..
Old 11-25-2011, 05:03 AM
"C'est de la bombe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
I think she means that people hold her up to an unrealistic standard, then freak out when she actually acts like a normal human.

For example, I remember the early days of UEdS. The CD hadn't even come out yet, but we'd seen some promotional photoshoots that generally established the feel of the album. One of my first posts was in a thread talking about how they were no longer an Alizee fan because she had changed her look. The OP felt that she didn't seem to carry the same "innocent", sweet vibe she used to as a result. A lot of people agreed with him. In retrospect, I think that was a little bit of an overreaction because it was the first time Alizee had ever tried something dramatically different with her style and music. Rather than wait it out to see where that style went, think about what the change meant personally to Alizee, and appreciate her effort to branch out, they just concluded that the real Alizee didn't live up to the standard of the perfect Lolita character they had in their mind and decided that they were done with her.

I think that was really unfair to her. A "true fan" would have waited to see how the new direction evolved, or at least come up with some constructive, realistic reason to stop being a fan rather than saying "She isn't pretending to be the person I wanted her to be, so I don't like her anymore". Euphoria made a good point.
I'm trying my best here to understand what you meant because your "signature" was really distracting.

I guess my interpretation of "putting someone on a pedestal" is different than both of you. I think of it as someone being her fan no matter what.

Unfortunately, we're always going to have fair-weathered fans. Just like in sports, a lot of people cheer for their teams as long as their teams keep on winning. Once their teams started losing, they stop being "fans."
Old 11-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Azhiri understood perfectly.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I find that when people put someone on a pedestal they have unrealistic expectations of that person and often it ends in disappointment. The higher you put them up, the farther and faster they have to fall. No human being can live up to such expectations and it is unfair. I’ve seen in the past that some people who have been the most intense in their support of Alizée are now gone from this site. A light that burns intensely bright often goes out rather quickly.

I like Alizée’s music and her voice. And I like Alizée, at least the part of her I am able to know through the various filters that stand between a star and her public. But my support of her is not unconditional. There are things that she could do (or not do) that would make me lose interest in her. But that said, I also understand and accept the fact that Alizée is human and imperfect, just like the rest of us. And therefore, she deserves as much right as any of us to make a mistake or misstep once in a while without being judged harshly. I believe that having a more realistic view of an artist will help to ensure a longer lasting appreciation for him/her.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:42 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

I look at her as something very special. She is different and not like most women out there. Being a housewife and mother makes no difference to me, like Scruffy Dog I just love watching her perform.

Alizée is a breath of fresh air compared to the woman that work for me and are around me on a daily basis. I still loved the look on my women employees faces when I got both the Special Box set and the Signed CD in the mail. The look on my face and reaction made them crazy that something as simple as an Alizée CD made me that happy. They still can't understand my attraction for Alizée that is still just as strong as it was seven years ago when I first found her.

Like the comments that have already been made on her simplistic outfits and lack of jewelry makes her that much more appealing to me. Too many woman like to show off what they have and in Alizée's case that is not an issue.

With me the most important characteristic with her is not being an attention whore. It's the Girl Next Door phenomenon that seems to drive her popularity with her real fans. The charity work she did down in Ajaccio this summer with that young boy, her everyday sweetness and kindness towards others raises her way above her peers.

By putting someone on a so call pedestal your fondness doesn't last this long unless there is something more to the relationship other than an obsession. When I first found her and hit a few of the fan boards (early to mid 2005) at the time many fans were already throwing in the towel because she was married and pregnant with Annili.

Gee those are what you call real fans?
Old 11-25-2011, 06:05 PM
"C'est de la bombe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
Like the comments that have already been made on her simplistic outfits and lack of jewelry makes her that much more appealing to me. Too many woman like to show off what they have and in Alizée's case that is not an issue.

With me the most important characteristic with her is not being an attention whore.
Her performance at Balavoine is the best example of this, IMO. She knew she'd be on the stage with 7 other beautiful singers - the likes of Sofia Essaidi, Natasha St Pierre, Joyce Jonathan, etc.- and yet she didn't "doll up" and try to outdo them. She chose to dressed conservatively. She didn't even change her outfit on her next song, unlike others. This, despite of her being the second youngest singer out there, next only to Joyce.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
I look at her as something very special...

With me the most important characteristic with her is not being an attention whore. It's the Girl Next Door phenomenon that seems to drive her popularity with her real fans.
Yeah she's so down to earth and that's quite endearing.. especially from someone as successful and beautiful as she. Well that's the one true thing that sets her apart from the rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
Alizée is human and imperfect, just like the rest of us. And therefore, she deserves as much right as any of us to make a mistake or misstep once in a while without being judged harshly.
Yeah but this is also the reason why some of us never have anything negative to say about her.. it's not because we think she can do no wrong.

Just saying.

Edit:

@ Jake what you said!

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur

Last edited by Un-rêve; 11-25-2011 at 06:20 PM..
Old 11-26-2011, 09:35 AM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un-rêve View Post
Yeah but this is also the reason why some of us never have anything negative to say about her.. it's not because we think she can do no wrong.

Just saying.

@ Jake what you said!
I guess you weren't around for the Moscow Performance.

I ripped her, the manager and Jeremy for letting her out on that stage with five inch heels on. What the hell were they thinking? Oh security, that was real joke when the drunk crawled up on stage and started dancing by himself. Lucky for Alizée he wasn't interested in interacting with her, and she was able to walk to the far side of the stage away from him. Had he had other intentions she would have been in trouble with those high heeled shoes on.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:45 AM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

I fully understand the point Euphoria is trying to make.
There are some (but by no means all) here who do view everything in world Alizee with rose tinted spectacles.
Sometimes i will read a post and sigh......loudly. It happens.
It's a fansite. Some take being a fan to the extreme. She can do no wrong for some.
It can be frustrating at times but i imagine it happens on all fan sites, for all artists,the world over.
That's life......