Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 12-15-2011, 01:55 PM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

Went to the range earlier this week. It just so happened there were some gentlemen there from Armalite. They were testing barrel designs for this:

Armalite AR-50A1

I knew they were loud, but what I didn't realize is how they send a shockwave throughout your entire body. It was pretty awesome.

I was managing about 5" groupings with the Sig. It was all on target (except when I shot freehand standing, had a few errant shots) but spread out everywhere. I think I need to stop using 55gr. in the future (I probably was just lucky before). My Weatherby however, was doing rather well. I hit about 2-3" at 200 yds. and I completely split a pumpkin in half with multiple shots. We also brought our shotguns and did a little trap shooting, which is always fun.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:52 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Even my .308 sends out some nice shockwaves when standing to either side of it and behind.

As for the 55 gr. in that 1-7 barrel I'd run much heavier, maybe find some 90s

Regards,

Jung

Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 AM

What was crazy, though, was that I was feeling the shockwaves from 5-6 tables away from where they were shooting, plus there were other people in between me and them. There were a few times where it caught me off guard and I pulled a few shots.

As for 90 gr, I was looking around, and other Sig owners said to avoid that, as the bullets are too long for it.

Quote:
The heaviest and best bullets that you can reload for your 556 with a 1:7" twist are the Hornady 75 grain BTHP, the Prvi 75 grain BTHP, the Sierra MatchKing 77 grain BTHP, tthe Swift Sirocco 75 grain BTHP, and the Nosler Competition 77 grain BTHP.

Do not try the Hornady AMAX 75 grain with the plastic tip, they are too long. Also, do not try any of the 80-90 grain bullets as they are all also too long.

Here is some good info for review:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/st223_120606/
I've already tried the Hornady BTHP, so I think I'll try the Sierra or Nosler next.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
What was crazy, though, was that I was feeling the shockwaves from 5-6 tables away from where they were shooting, plus there were other people in between me and them. There were a few times where it caught me off guard and I pulled a few shots.

As for 90 gr, I was looking around, and other Sig owners said to avoid that, as the bullets are too long for it.

I've already tried the Hornady BTHP, so I think I'll try the Sierra or Nosler next.
I only load 55 gr. but I'd think with that 1-7 you'd be able to do 90s might be worth a shot. The over all length may be a little long for magazines I suppose though. The 1-7 is a rather fast twist for the .223 so it might be worth a shot trying something heavier. Then again I don't know .224s like I know .30 cals. I've only loaded a little for a .22-250 with a 1-10 and for my .223 with a 1-9. I do know the .22-250 with a 1-10 loaded hot will shoot 90 gr. bullets rather nicely.

What length barrel do the Sigs have? I'd imagine either 16" or 18", which would have an effect on velocity I suppose which makes it harded to stabilize heavier bullets.

Regards,

Jung

Old 12-17-2011, 06:42 PM

Sigs have a 16" inch barrel. I think that I'm going to do more research before trying the 90's . I'd rather shoot lighter bullets and have a functioning gun, than risk screwing up a $1200 gun and have to send it to be repaired. Plus I already voided the warranty by shooting reloaded ammo through it.

Edit:

Speaking of .30's, I'm thinking of starting to reload my .308 and .30-30's. Any recommendations for bullet weights? My Weatherby has a 24" barrel with a 1 in 12" twist. The Winchester is 20" also with a 1 in 12".

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 12-17-2011 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 12-17-2011, 11:17 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Sigs have a 16" inch barrel. I think that I'm going to do more research before trying the 90's . I'd rather shoot lighter bullets and have a functioning gun, than risk screwing up a $1200 gun and have to send it to be repaired. Plus I already voided the warranty by shooting reloaded ammo through it.

Edit:

Speaking of .30's, I'm thinking of starting to reload my .308 and .30-30's. Any recommendations for bullet weights? My Weatherby has a 24" barrel with a 1 in 12" twist. The Winchester is 20" also with a 1 in 12".
Shouldn't wreck your gun using those bullets, but it may not shoot them nice, so long as you are careful with your loads and start low xD. I'm also gonna assume it has an adjustable gas system too which helps.

As for the .30s, I'd definitely run 150s in the 30-30, try the LeveRevolutions. I'm a fan of 150s for the 308 too, but all mine are set up to mil-spec. 168s and maybe 180s should shoot fine though too. The 24" barrel might get you the velocity to stabilize the 180s if you use a little slower burning powder anyway. 150 and 168 gr. in the .308 is a very versatile bullet though. I'm a fan of IMR 4895 for powder, once again because it is as close to mil-spec as you get, I hear really good things about Varget in the .308 too. Play around with it a bit I guess.

Regards,

Jung

Old 12-18-2011, 05:12 PM

I shoot 150 gr Remington Core-Lokt already, so as of now I'm leaning towards 168. I'm also probably going to stick with Varget as I already have some on hand, and I'm not in the best of positions to be spending money. A friend shoots Sierra so I might try Hornady first (I could just jack a couple of his rounds and see how they work, as he also uses Varget with 168gr ). I'll probably go to Bass Pro and pick up the die sets after Christmas when I have a little more money.

As for the 30-30, I'll have to check prices when I go BPS. I'll definitely stick with 150, though.

I also was browsing the Hornady website and came across this:

I couldn't help but chuckle. Apparently though, it is really quality ammunition.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iuBN4GZi_rQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-18-2011, 06:06 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
I shoot 150 gr Remington Core-Lokt already, so as of now I'm leaning towards 168. I'm also probably going to stick with Varget as I already have some on hand, and I'm not in the best of positions to be spending money. A friend shoots Sierra so I might try Hornady first (I could just jack a couple of his rounds and see how they work, as he also uses Varget with 168gr ). I'll probably go to Bass Pro and pick up the die sets after Christmas when I have a little more money.

As for the 30-30, I'll have to check prices when I go BPS. I'll definitely stick with 150, though.

I also was browsing the Hornady website and came across this:

I couldn't help but chuckle. Apparently though, it is really quality ammunition.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iuBN4GZi_rQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Hornady makes some rather nice 168s in both the BTHP and the A-max, I'm gonna be trying the Bergers in .308 here now too and see how much better they are. Beings I did pick up a Remington 700 Tactical 20" .308 I'm gonna be loading more 168s now xD. Pictures to come soon xD

The Zombie line is simply a different package for the TAP and V-max ammo lines. It's pretty neat though.

Regards,

Jung

Old 12-18-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
Beings I did pick up a Remington 700 Tactical 20" .308 I'm gonna be loading more 168s now xD. Pictures to come soon xD
Jeez, how many do you own?

A couple of weeks ago I made a list of guns I want to at some point acquire. It is going to take me a while...

(Note: this list will get longer throughout the years)
1. Mosin Nagant
2. M1 Carbine
3. M1 Garand
4. 1903A3 Springfield
5. AR-15
6. Winchester Model 70 .30-06
7. Ruger 10/22
8. MP5
9. M1A
10. PTR-91 (most recent addition)
11. SIG P226
12. 1911 (still undecided)
13. Colt SAA
14. Uberti 1858 New Army
15. S&W 629
16. Browning HiPower
17. .22 lr pistol (undecided)

Average guns per adult is about 4. I think I'll be a little over that...

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 12-18-2011 at 06:26 PM..
Old 12-18-2011, 11:01 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Jeez, how many do you own?

A couple of weeks ago I made a list of guns I want to at some point acquire. It is going to take me a while...

(Note: this list will get longer throughout the years)
1. Mosin Nagant
2. M1 Carbine
3. M1 Garand
4. 1903A3 Springfield
5. AR-15
6. Winchester Model 70 .30-06
7. Ruger 10/22
8. MP5
9. M1A
10. PTR-91 (most recent addition)
11. SIG P226
12. 1911 (still undecided)
13. Colt SAA
14. Uberti 1858 New Army
15. S&W 629
16. Browning HiPower
17. .22 lr pistol (undecided)

Average guns per adult is about 4. I think I'll be a little over that...
I always said if you know how many you own you don't have enough xD. If I were to guess I'd say in the lower 20 mark though.

That is a fine list I must say. I'm still on the look out for a good lever action in both .357 magnum and .41 magnum. also looking for a Hi Power. Sometime next summer I think I will buy a crate of Mosin Nagants if you want one on the cheap I may be able to part with one xD. As for the .22 pistol I'd go with any of the following.... Browning Buckmark, High Standard of any model, Ruger, Colt Woodsman, Walther SP22, or the old S&W .22 (can't recall the model, but it was their competition gun).

Regards,

Jung

Edit:

As I promised...

First shots with factory Black Hills 168 bthp

amd my first handload for it, shot in the dark...they are the 3 in the middle of the picture

The second handloading performed better yet and are all touching the two in the middle on the above picture, and came in around a 1/2" should have a picture of that up tomorrow or something.

Regards,

Jung

Last edited by jung_adore_ALIZEE; 12-18-2011 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts