Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 12-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

I wonder if there is guide to stop making guides. There must be, since there is guide for everything else, too.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:41 PM
You actually read these?

HibyPrime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyy View Post
You may want to look at a book called "Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America," by Mark Ehrman.
Your placement of that comma inside the quotation brings much irony

Last edited by HibyPrime; 12-30-2006 at 03:51 PM..
Old 12-30-2006, 04:22 PM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibyPrime View Post
Your placement of that comma inside the quotation brings much irony
Eeh, care to explain that?

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...
Old 12-30-2006, 04:35 PM
You actually read these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Wood View Post
Eeh, care to explain that?
He was talking about a guide to leaving America, and used the American standard of putting all punctuation inside the quotations.

Just a little bit of irony that stuck out when I read it
Old 12-30-2006, 06:14 PM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
And I'm moving to Paris someday... It will be cheaper to live there than travel to there all the time for few days...
How often do you come in Paris?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HibyPrime View Post
He was talking about a guide to leaving America, and used the American standard of putting all punctuation inside the quotations.
I've always been shocked by that illogical placement of the punctuation inside the quotations when it should be outside but each time I thought it was a mistake by the author! So it's standard in English?? (or American English?)
Old 12-30-2006, 06:59 PM
You actually read these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFrenchie View Post
I've always been shocked by that illogical placement of the punctuation inside the quotations when it should be outside but each time I thought it was a mistake by the author! So it's standard in English?? (or American English?)
It's the standard for American english. The British standard (i.e. just about all other english speaking countries) is to logically place the punctuation in or outside the quotation.

Edit: theres a bunch of sources here.

Last edited by HibyPrime; 12-30-2006 at 07:02 PM..
Old 12-30-2006, 08:24 PM

Azereus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yea it's an American thing. In Canada, we put the punctuation outside the quotations. Many words also differ in spelling in America compared to Canadian english.
For example, Color= American
Colour= Canadian
(Just incase you didn't know.)
They'res a bunch others as well.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How often do you come in Paris?
Well, if the current trend continues, I'd say 4 times a year.

Well, I have been only 2 times in Paris so far... 3rd coming in end of January. That's 3 trips to Paris in the past 9 months.

Quote:
Yea, it's really weird. How can one know if the punctuation is supposed to be part of the quote or is it part of the whole sentence structure ?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Breathe in. Breathe out.

SupaKrupa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
Yea, it's really weird. How can one know if the punctuation is supposed to be part of the quote or is it part of the whole sentence structure ?
Take this for example:

You may want to look at a book called "Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America," by Mark Ehrman.

Think about what the book is called - Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America

The author wouldn't put a comma at the end of it and make it: Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America,

The punctuation is part of the quote if the quote has the punctuations in it (Example: "You're an Alizée fan, RMJ"). If not, it's always outside of the quotes as the punctuation is part of the ENTIRE sentence and not only the quote. In the case of the book, the quote is only the name of the book so it should not have the comma in the quote as the book name is/was not published with the comma in it (I hope not anyways...).

Hope this isn't too confusing

Last edited by SupaKrupa; 12-30-2006 at 11:07 PM..
Old 12-30-2006, 11:20 PM
You actually read these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKrupa View Post
Take this for example:

Think about what the book is called - Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America

The author wouldn't put a comma at the end of it and make it: Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America,

The punctuation is part of the quote if the quote has the punctuations in it (Example: "You're an Alizée fan, RMJ"). If not, it's always outside of the quotes as the punctuation is part of the ENTIRE sentence and not only the quote. In the case of the book, the quote is only the name of the book so it should not have the comma in the quote as the book name is/was not published with the comma in it (I hope not anyways...).

Hope this isn't too confusing
You're defining the non-American way of doing it. The American way says the puncuation is ALWAYS inside the quote regardless of wether or not what is being quoted has any punctuation in it.

'You may want to look at a book called "Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America," by Mark Ehrman.'

This is actually correct by American standards.