Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-14-2020, 09:25 PM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Great, more people, better job.
I think we need to work on one song at a time.

We should work on Moi Lolita for 2 weeks; and then work on L'Alize for two weeks. And so on.

Edit:

Maybe we could vote on "competing" translations.

For example, we could come up with 10 different ways of translating "L'esprit à mille à l'heure", and then we could have a vote on which translation is best.

Last edited by Mr Coucou; 01-14-2020 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 01-14-2020, 11:09 PM

joebanana is on a distinguished road

we already started with Gourmandises,next one it can be any other
Old 01-15-2020, 12:07 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I think Mr Coucou has an excellent suggestion of spending 2 weeks on each song and as joebanana suggests, we started on Gourmandises, let's continue with it, but something just came to my attention in looking at 'translations'.

There is a reason Alizee left Mylene. Maybe it has to do with the lyrics. There are certain things we wont discuss in the open in this forum, but we can discuss it via pm and I think that might be the case with Gourmandises.

Several years ago, I looked online to find someone to translate some of Alizee's videos. I came upon a young woman who had lived in Paris up until she was 18 years old, then moved to this country. She is the one who I paid to have Dals and Saga translated, not to mention several interviews.

When Blonde came along, I really enjoyed the songs Alcaline and K.O. and I worked hard with this girl to find a good translation, a translation that would make sense, a translation that would flow and so I did find that and I was incredibly happy with the results.

But with Alcaline, I was disappointed with her public appearances to promote the song Alcaline and as far as K.O., there were no public appearances. So I decided to try and match the audio of those songs with her earlier videos and I was amazed at the results.

The song matched up so well with her earlier songs and the English words fit in so well with the video. I love wathching these videos.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:23 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I'll be glad to and I think others will too. That second verse is a tough one. I'm going to give a shout out to Bamagirl. She is well read and maybe she can figure out what Mylene Farmer was thinking.
Let me ask you this.

The first verse is the girl (e.g. Alizee) talking. But I think the second verse is the wolf talking. The last two lines of the 2nd verse--- "But the kisses of Alizee are the true deliciacies"--- that is definitely the wolf talking-- isn't it?

So that how I see it--- the first verse is the girl talking. The second verse is the wolf talking.

How does that sound???

In the first verse, the girl is asking the wolf if he really loves her, and is not simply trying to have sex with her.

In the second verse, the wolf responds with a bunch of bullshit about kisses.

Let me know if that makes sense.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post
Let me ask you this.

The first verse is the girl (e.g. Alizee) talking. But I think the second verse is the wolf talking. The last two lines of the 2nd verse--- "But the kisses of Alizee are the true deliciacies"--- that is definitely the wolf talking-- isn't it?

So that how I see it--- the first verse is the girl talking. The second verse is the wolf talking.

How does that sound???

In the first verse, the girl is asking the wolf if he really loves her, and is not simply trying to have sex with her.

In the second verse, the wolf responds with a bunch of bullshit about kisses.

Let me know if that makes sense.
Well the very first line of the first verse sets the tone of the song....

"Quand tu penses à moi"....When you think of me

So she is telling this story of herself and unless it tells us something different, she is telling us the story and what I mean by that is in the first verse with the lines;

J'ai si faim de toi...........I have thoughts of you
Tu le dis sans cesse.......You say all the time
Et prend soin de moi.....and that you'll take care of me

The second line shows she is quoting him with the first line and that is continued with the third line which is shown by the fact she says "of me".

So with that second verse, though I think it's her saying those things, I think it could be either one of them saying them. It's just describing the kisses and the situation and so is not critical.

I took a long hard look at this song last night. It was a song I could never figure out and I think I finally got an idea of what is being said. It looks like this verse has a very Mylene Farmer meaning to it.

Getting back to the second verse as a whole, after realizing what it's saying, I think the English translation can be pretty much left alone with if any changes, some minor ones, such as I found in another translation;

Taste like sea spray
Taste like melancholy,

Taste of sea spray and taste of melancholy, I think sounds better.
and with "Where the hand is led forward", The hand is being led and I think that is all it conveys, so I'd say;

Where the hand is led

Jumping ahead to the part where she sings several times in I guess you'd call a chorus section?;
"Oh! Loup y es-tu" The translation joebanana found translates it to;
Oh wolf, are you there...

I think, "Oh wolf where are you" sounds better and fits the story better.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 01-15-2020 at 11:47 AM..
Old 01-15-2020, 02:13 PM

joebanana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I think Mr Coucou has an excellent suggestion of spending 2 weeks on each song and as joebanana suggests, we started on Gourmandises, let's continue with it, but something just came to my attention in looking at 'translations'.

There is a reason Alizee left Mylene. Maybe it has to do with the lyrics. There are certain things we wont discuss in the open in this forum, but we can discuss it via pm and I think that might be the case with Gourmandises.

Several years ago, I looked online to find someone to translate some of Alizee's videos. I came upon a young woman who had lived in Paris up until she was 18 years old, then moved to this country. She is the one who I paid to have Dals and Saga translated, not to mention several interviews.

When Blonde came along, I really enjoyed the songs Alcaline and K.O. and I worked hard with this girl to find a good translation, a translation that would make sense, a translation that would flow and so I did find that and I was incredibly happy with the results.

But with Alcaline, I was disappointed with her public appearances to promote the song Alcaline and as far as K.O., there were no public appearances. So I decided to try and match the audio of those songs with her earlier videos and I was amazed at the results.

The song matched up so well with her earlier songs and the English words fit in so well with the video. I love wathching these videos.

great job and a good idea
Old 01-15-2020, 06:10 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

I'm late to this party , but I think a new thread might be a good idea for this topic, especially if we go song by song. It would be a good reference.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
I'm late to this party , but I think a new thread might be a good idea for this topic, especially if we go song by song. It would be a good reference.
Good idea! Probably with a new thread for each song with the French and English lyrics in the first post.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:31 PM

So this is what I think would look good to someone who hasn't seen the video before. I watched it with the video and it seems to as I say flow well.

There's only two things I'm on the fence about which I underlined. I substituted melancholy back from the original version of the lyrics joebanana used, because I believe anyone who again isn't familiar with her work will really be scratching there head over the use of the word spleen.

Maybe there's a better word to use than melancholy, but it's not bad.

The only other thing I'm not sure about is;

The kisses of summer
Where the hand is led

Probably another thing that has a Mylene type of meaning, but as it's stands, not bad. It's a little confusing but not really a detriment to the song.

By the way, the big spaces in a couple of the lines is where there's a pause in the song.

I'll try and work on the third verse tonight if I get some free time at work, but it looks very simple. There's nothing puzzling in what is said. This one shouldn't take long.

Here's the video to watch with the lyrics....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvh-ieuM8yg

When you think of me
You the wolf of the Steppes
Deep inside of you
Feel the intoxication
I yearn so much for you
Is what you say without end
and that you'll take care of me
Tell me does that hurt
Oh wolf, are you here for me
You make me these promises
And if I give myself to you
It will be with thousands of tender kisses
------------------------------------------------------------------
There are kisses
the first of which
taste of sea spray
taste of melancholy,
There are kisses
stolen, In the trains of Tsarinas.
The kisses.............of summer
Where the hand is led
But the kisses.........of Alizée
are of true delicacies

---------------------------------------------------------

Quand tu penses à moi
Toi le loup des steppes
Tout au fond de toi
Ressens-tu l'ivresse
J'ai si faim de toi
Tu le dis sans cesse
Et prend soin de moi
Dis-moi si ça blesse
Oh, loup y'es tu pour moi
Tu fais la promesse
Et si je m'offre à toi
C'est en milliers, baissers de tendresse
------------------------------------------------
Y'a les baisers
Les premiers
Goût d'embruns
Goût de spleen
Y'a les baisés volés
Dans les trains de tsarines
Les baisés d'un été
Où la main s'achemine
Mais les baisés d'Alizée
Sont de vraies gourmandises

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 01-16-2020 at 06:34 PM..
Old 01-17-2020, 05:11 AM

For the third verse, this is what I would go with.

The last line is what I'd expect to say to her, but with the "my princess" at the end, it must be her talking to him.

When I think of you,
you, the wolf of the Steppes
I'm not afraid of you
Is that what bothers you?
"Take this path here"
You tell me all the time
"Oh lay down next to me
and devour me with your eyes, my princess!"

Then we have the first chorus again with a little variation....

For the kisses
the first of
taste of sea spray
taste of melancholy
For the kisses
stolen In the trains of Tsarinas.
The kisses of summer
Where the hand is led
But the kisses of Alizée
Are of true delicacies.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 01-17-2020 at 05:54 AM..

Tags
chronology, dates, events, misc., questions, timeline