Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 01:34 AM

joebanana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
She and Alizee at one point were very close friends but they had a falling out over Jenifer releasing an album. I believe the album was Paradis Secret.
What happened?
Old 12-02-2020, 08:58 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
What happened?
Correction. It was her 2013 album Ma Déclaration, which was a France Gall tribute album comprising entirely of covers. France Gall did not authorize it and was not happy about it. Alizee made some comment that a tribute album should not be made of an artist still alive.

Maybe there is more to the story, but what happened between Alizee and Jenifer seems a little petty. Maybe it's water under the bridge by now.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:09 PM

joebanana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Correction. It was her 2013 album Ma Déclaration, which was a France Gall tribute album comprising entirely of covers. France Gall did not authorize it and was not happy about it. Alizee made some comment that a tribute album should not be made of an artist still alive.

Maybe there is more to the story, but what happened between Alizee and Jenifer seems a little petty. Maybe it's water under the bridge by now.
Thanks for the clarification, Maybe Alizee wanted to make an album like that one day, which would be a great thing, at least for me because I really enjoy the songs from France Gall that Alizee did.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Maybe Alizee wanted to make an album like that one day, which would be a great thing, at least for me because I really enjoy the songs from France Gall that Alizee did.
I believe there was a discussion on this forum a few years ago on this feud, and if my memory serves me correctly, there was a post about the root cause being what you just suggested, that Alizee had a tribute album in mind and Jenifer pulled the rug out from underneath her by releasing an unauthorized tribute. I don't remember if it was mere speculation or if it was published somewhere. In this scenario, I can see where it might have caused a lot of friction.

Alizee and Jenifer appeared to be pretty close friends and Alizee might have shared with her how she would like to put out a tribute album for France Gall one day. If it's any consolation to Alizee, Jenifer's album was a flop.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:06 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I believe there was a discussion on this forum a few years ago on this feud, and if my memory serves me correctly, there was a post about the root cause being what you just suggested, that Alizee had a tribute album in mind and Jenifer pulled the rug out from underneath her by releasing an unauthorized tribute. I don't remember if it was mere speculation or if it was published somewhere. In this scenario, I can see where it might have caused a lot of friction.

Alizee and Jenifer appeared to be pretty close friends and Alizee might have shared with her how she would like to put out a tribute album for France Gall one day. If it's any consolation to Alizee, Jenifer's album was a flop.
Thanks CleverCowboy. I was probably in on that discussion but my memory isn't what it used to be. By the way, what were we talking about?
Old 12-02-2020, 05:44 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

The feud was centered around the release of that tribute album. I believe Alizée had been vocal about wanting to be involved in such a project *in the future* and Jenifer seemed to get the jump on her. Indeed, Jenifer also released it without the authorization of France Gall, an artist that Alizée loves and respects deeply. And lastly, at least among fans, there was friction because the album cover for Jenifer's album looks very similar to the cover of 5 which was released around the same time (black and white and red aesthetic, close up portrait)

Old 12-02-2020, 06:29 PM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

How do ''official" covers work? A part from what happened with Alizée, how can singers release covers of songs if they don't own the rights?
I mean, isn't obvious that the album would go toward problems or am I missing something? :/

According to Wikipedia, France Gall didn't know anything about it and, on the other hand, Universal said that they didn't need her approval...
Also, the album is platinum in France. :|

Last edited by Aragorn97; 12-02-2020 at 06:33 PM..
Old 12-03-2020, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Thanks CleverCowboy. I was probably in on that discussion but my memory isn't what it used to be. By the way, what were we talking about?
My memory is in the same shape. I could not point to a specific thread where this conversation took place to save my life, but I know it was discussed somewhere, at least enough to make me remember that we had it.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall View Post
The feud was centered around the release of that tribute album. I believe Alizée had been vocal about wanting to be involved in such a project *in the future* and Jenifer seemed to get the jump on her. Indeed, Jenifer also released it without the authorization of France Gall, an artist that Alizée loves and respects deeply. And lastly, at least among fans, there was friction because the album cover for Jenifer's album looks very similar to the cover of 5 which was released around the same time (black and white and red aesthetic, close up portrait)
Thanks Fall. You put it together nicely in one tidy paragraph.

France Gall died in January 2018, so almost five years after the album was released. She died of breast cancer, which she fought for over a decade. So I speculate that Alizee thought it was insulting or in poor taste to release a tribute album for an iconic singer while she was battling for her life. So it is more than just Jenifer beating her to it, in my opinion.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
How do ''official" covers work? A part from what happened with Alizée, how can singers release covers of songs if they don't own the rights?
I mean, isn't obvious that the album would go toward problems or am I missing something? :/
I'm not sure how it works in France, but in the US, a band needs permission from the copyright owner (normally the performing artist but this can vary). Also, some kind of royalty is paid to the copyright owner per sale. Cover bands can play at venues freely. The venue itself pays licensing fees of some sort.

What Jenifer did releasing an unauthorized cover album would be illegal in the US and she would be slapped with a fine or worse.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 12-03-2020 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 12-03-2020, 02:51 PM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:

France Gall died in January 2018, so almost five years after the album was released. She died of breast cancer, which she fought for over a decade. So I speculate that Alizee thought it was insulting or in poor taste to release a tribute album for an iconic singer while she was battling for her life. So it is more than just Jenifer beating her to it, in my opinion.
Jenifer definitely had a lot of gall to do what she did!
Old 12-03-2020, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post
Jenifer definitely had a lot of gall to do what she did!
Ba Dum Tsh! - corny joke drum sequence for those confused

Good to see you back Coucou.