Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 09-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
Personally, I don't grant Comedy of Errors and Romeo and Juliet many similarities. One is a true comedy fueled by mistaken identity and a dose of deus ex machina, and the other is a true tragedy fueled by hatred and misfortune. Really, I don't think anybody in Romeo and Juliet makes a mistake, in the dramatic sense, until Romeo mistakes Juliet for dead. Everything prior was either misfortune or intentional deception.
And then Cooney brings the Theatre Training Hammer.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
And then Cooney brings the Theatre Training Hammer.
I'm not trying to "bring down the hammer" really - there are thousands of people who could kick my butt in all knowledge theatrical, and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for somebody to do a bit of research and disprove me on some point or another. I'm just trying to do my best to contribute to the discussion, as Shakespeare was the topic of my undergrad thesis and many other essays, and I very much enjoy his works. :-)

So tell me Mod, would it be the pinnacle of arrogance and/or pointlessness if I made a new thread over on the Translations forum to keep this thing updated with changes from feedback and new ideas? It's a pain digging back to previous pages to find it in the middle of stuff.

Last edited by Cooney; 09-10-2007 at 11:39 PM..
Old 09-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So tell me Mod, would it be the pinnacle of arrogance and/or pointlessness if I made a new thread over on the Translations forum to keep this thing updated with changes from feedback and new ideas? It's a pain digging back to previous pages to find it in the middle of stuff.
Of course not. Go for it. Allez!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 PM
alizée ninja

brad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
hey if you want to take the time to do things like this, don't let anyone stop you

i know everyone really appreciates it. feel free to do whatever, we are going to have a lot of stuff like this to do in the near future
Old 09-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Ok, cool, will do.

As it's a form of double-posting, figured I'd better ask first :-)
Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 AM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Is it possible that "coca" is being used as a synecdoche(?) for "drug"? In English, they say "narcotics" for illicit drugs including cocaine and meth (which are not technically "narcotics").

As an aside, in parts of the US "Coke" is used for all sodas/pops...e.g. the waitress will ask "What kind of Coke do you want?" and you can say "7-Up".
Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Francophile!:D

Tye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquared View Post

As an aside, in parts of the US "Coke" is used for all sodas/pops...e.g. the waitress will ask "What kind of Coke do you want?" and you can say "7-Up".
Coca-Cola got it's name, because when it was first released it had coca in it. It was the leaf they used, I think. It gave the drink a green color. Eventually, they realized the coca plant was causing adverse side effects and it was removed from the drink. The name stuck, and some called it Coke for short. Now, some parts of the U.S. use the word Coke to refer to any soft drink.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye View Post
Coca-Cola got it's name, because when it was first released it had coca in it. It was the leaf they used, I think. It gave the drink a green color. Eventually, they realized the coca plant was causing adverse side effects and it was removed from the drink.
Man, how do these myths come about? Coca-Cola never had a green color, it didn't have nearly enough coca leaf in it for that. It was always caramel colored artificially. And there weren't any adverse effects from the coca leaf, they replaced it with caffeine because cocaine was made illegal, no other reason. They kept the name because they'd already trademarked it and it would have been a marketing disaster to change it.

Some idiot later sued Coca-Cola for false advertising because the product no longer had any coca in it, I believe. He lost the case.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 09-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Francophile!:D

Tye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
Man, how do these myths come about? Coca-Cola never had a green color, it didn't have nearly enough coca leaf in it for that. It was always caramel colored artificially. And there weren't any adverse effects from the coca leaf, they replaced it with caffeine because cocaine was made illegal, no other reason. They kept the name because they'd already trademarked it and it would have been a marketing disaster to change it.

Some idiot later sued Coca-Cola for false advertising because the product no longer had any coca in it, I believe. He lost the case.
I was at the Coca-Cola museum in Georgia, in July, and I should have asked them if it was true. Thanks for clearing that up, Deepwaters.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Le fan irlandais

Killian is on a distinguished road

I must say I'm quite suprised that this song will b the pilot of the new album. I am filled with a mixture of emotions at this news. I am slightly disappointed that it isn't Fity Sixty but that is some a minuscule part of me it is almost not worth mentioning.
Much more so, I am elated at the news. I am glad to see that Alizée and co. have the confidence to go out on a limb and try something different for the first single rather than just go commercial and almost guarantee success.

Alizée, I commemorate your confidence and your nerve to take a brave move, that I have no doubt will pay off.

Is mo páis agus mo inspioráid í Alizée. Níl aon scamall sa spéir nuair a feicim nó cloisim í.