Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcognito View Post
Nope - I didn't even get a cell phone until Dec. 06............. So i'm completely out of the loop here!

Ed
I guess I am too. I have yet to get a cell phone. And I still have hundreds of vinly albums (although I am dabbling with mp3s now).
Old 01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
star traveller

-MihaiL- is on a distinguished road

mp3's are great for electronic music, but not with real music played by real instruments, where you can see and feel the air around every instrument, ah! what an experience!!! The fidelity is crucial with instrumental music and/plus vocal.

But still I would never download music cause that's disrespectful towards the compositors and people around them that worked hard too and they hate piracy. I don't want to see myself as an accomplice along the others and be hated. Piracy is theft without any conscience and shame, it's plain ugly! They don't even ask the masters, or face them in any way. They just do it like it's ok to do it, theey see the posibility and they just get it, completely unaware and it's very disturbing, disgusting! And it's all because of people that are their customers, so yes! pirates are just partially thieves, they do it just cause there's potentially a demand.
As for people in poor countries they can keep their justifications to them anytime, they're humiliating anyway because the simple fact of their ugly behaviour still remains. I would like to see a pirate that tries and evolves and then someone just comes and steals what he has done just because he could do it, and did it to profit. How much uglier than this it can get?

Last edited by -MihaiL-; 01-29-2008 at 04:48 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 10:25 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MihaiL- View Post
mp3's are great for electronic music, but not with real music played by real instruments, where you can see and feel the air around every instrument, ah! what an experience!!! The fidelity is crucial with instrumental music and/plus vocal.
Not quite. The fidelity of a well-encoded MP3 is just fine, and essentially indifferent to it's CD source. What you're searching for is a pair of good headphones, with a wide soundstage. Pick up a Sennheiser HD-555, 595, 580, 600, or 650.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:26 AM
star traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by espire View Post
Not quite. The fidelity of a well-encoded MP3 is just fine, and essentially indifferent to it's CD source. What you're searching for is a pair of good headphones, with a wide soundstage. Pick up a Sennheiser HD-555, 595, 580, 600, or 650.
The fidelity of headphones is relative too, there is nothing jaw dropping with cheap headphones. I've got quite a lot of them, but the ones I use the most are Etymotic ER4S. They are known actually fot their natural/sterile deliver of sound. And when I say I feel the difference between mp3s and CD by a significant margin, I mean it. You just have to get good hadphones and source to know it, just like you said.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:58 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MihaiL- View Post
The fidelity of headphones is relative too, there is nothing jaw dropping with cheap headphones. I've got quite a lot of them, but the ones I use the most are Etymotic ER4S. They are known actually fot their natural/sterile deliver of sound. And when I say I feel the difference between mp3s and CD by a significant margin, I mean it. You just have to get good hadphones and source to know it, just like you said.
Well, you've got me then

However, I still stand by the fact that a well-encoded (LAME) MP3 at 320kbps, if not 256, has no discernable difference to a CD. If you disagree, it's a placebo effect.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:33 AM
star traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by espire View Post
Well, you've got me then

However, I still stand by the fact that a well-encoded (LAME) MP3 at 320kbps, if not 256, has no discernable difference to a CD. If you disagree, it's a placebo effect.
Of course I disagree, but if mp3s satisfy you indeed, it's all great. Enjoy!
A pretty good hi-fi setup+headphones will cost you $1500 somewhere, and no mp3 players for listening pleasure, they are not meant for that. With a good setup in a silent room one, likely, can easely notice the more open aura of the CD. Even FLAC, APE, Wavpack are lacking in my opinion. It's not something logical that you notice between flac and CD puting them side to side, but rather in the long run the CD provides better emotion and it stands aside as the best. After listening for many many hours to CDs switching to Flac makes me feel constricted right away. I tested a lot with this, I am an audiophile in fact, I like the sound to be most natural, in the condition it was recorded in the studio, or at least almost.

Last edited by -MihaiL-; 01-31-2008 at 07:52 AM..
Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 AM

mal is on a distinguished road

no no no

Its legal to dl music if the person consents to it.

This is the way of the future. This shouldve been done from the get go. You cant fignht it so use it.

Ads pay the royalties to the owners of the copyright and the site owner keeps the difference. Brilliant but obvious. (assuming they will be paying the royalties its perfectly legal.) To say ALL dl is illegal does that mean that itunes is illegal?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:01 AM
star traveller

What kind of ads are these? I think it's a lot to pay to musicians and then what is the gain of those that provide those ads in the first place, only the people's attention to their products? Or is internet so populated today that everyone will gain? Also adevrtising will insanely annoy if too much of it.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:46 AM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

I have no idea what Mihail is talking about, I personally download all my cds to my computer and tweek them or enhance them, or whatever you want to call it. All my mp3's sound so much better then any of my cds playing in any system, in fact when I plug in my iPod on my car the sound is so much higher and richer that I have to lower the volume in contrast to the radio or cds... Besides setting the sound enhancer on iTunes to the highest and raising the notch on the volume one or two here's some of the programs I use. DJ 2.0 (http://www.algoriddim.net/index.html), DeKstasy (http://dekstasy.sourceforge.net/), Mixxx & Dr DJ (couldn't find a link), and for encoding I use iTunes Lame (http://blacktree.com/?itunes-lame). This is only what I have in my laptop, I have better ones in my desktop at home. Of course I don't use all of them at the same time, and their mainly for mixing, but you can enhance your music by playing with the controls and enhancing the parts you like more in your music, be it the bass or vocals, etc.. Now, if you compare this to a live band, well of course it's going to sound so much better live, no question about that.

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Last edited by Jess; 01-31-2008 at 12:24 PM..
Old 01-31-2008, 12:53 PM
star traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I have no idea what Mihail is talking about, I personally download all my cds to my computer and tweek them or enhance them, or whatever you want to call it. All my mp3's sound so much better then any of my cds playing in any system, in fact when I plug in my iPod on my car the sound is so much higher and richer that I have to lower the volume in contrast to the radio or cds... Besides setting the sound enhancer on iTunes to the highest and raising the notch on the volume one or two here's some of the programs I use. DJ 2.0 (http://www.algoriddim.net/index.html), DeKstasy (http://dekstasy.sourceforge.net/), Mixxx & Dr DJ (couldn't find a link), and for encoding I use iTunes Lame (http://blacktree.com/?itunes-lame). This is only what I have in my laptop, I have better ones in my desktop at home. Of course I don't use all of them at the same time, and their mainly for mixing, but you can enhance your music by playing with the controls and enhancing the parts you like more in your music, be it the bass or vocals, etc.. Now, if you compare this to a live band, well of course it's going to sound so much better live, no question about that.
Well, I won't argue. I'll just say I don't trust technologies, I don't mind if you see me as outmoded because I don't use any enhanchement programs, or mp3s with portable mp3 players. I'm for high quality hardware and listening at home. Generally, if you feel something is good for you, then it is good and if you truly enjoy music, then it's perfect and formats don't matter.