Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 03-01-2008, 07:49 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaccio corsica View Post
hi
india is not a good example, most of the ppl speak hindii (light green), tamul (grey/blue] and other local languages
actually, there are very few ppl who speak english
there are officialy 29 languages, about 122 spoken by less than 1 million ppl plus some europeans: portuguese, french in the south of the country
here's the map

the percentage of ppl who are able to speak or understand english is probably more important in france than in india
cheers
Are you serious? "Indian" English might be most widely spoken single variety of English in the world. Some people estimate 350 million people speak it there. Precisely because there are so many different indigenous languages in India, English was kind of settled upon as a unifying official language.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/tefl...355064,00.html

More details on official status of English in India:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officia...uages_of_India

Last edited by fsquared; 03-01-2008 at 07:52 PM..
Old 03-01-2008, 08:19 PM

Alizee=Czech-Princess! is on a distinguished road

I've got to be fair here, from my experience the difference between the Americans & Europeans is the way they want to go about learning. Without sounding harsh on the Americans they do think of themselves as world leaders. What kind of leader looks up to those below them? Something I must credit the Americans for, is that if they want to learn a foreign language they will do it thoroughly and try and become fluent. Europeans tend to try and get by on basic sayings of foreign languages. I can comment on this first hand, I live in England for 9 months of every year and the Czech Republic for the other 3. My English is practically perfect, and my Czech is less than impressive. In fact, I speak Spanish AND French better than I speak Czech, which is strange as I can technically call it my country of residence. Sorry if I'm boring you all but the point I'm trying to get across is that Europeans have a more relaxed attitude to learning foreign languages whereas when the Americans WANT to learn a foreign lingo, they will do it properly.
Hope that makes sense!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Jericho Kanes the Name

Renegade is on a distinguished road

I can't believe how this thread turned into a big debate.

Peace Out

I play Russian roulette everyday.... a man sport, with a bullet life.
YEA a bullet called life.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:04 PM

ggin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
I can't believe how this thread turned into a big debate.

Peace Out
I wondered when you would get a chance to say that! I hope you are having a wonderful time there! Indiana still sucks! (well, compared to Paris, I'd imagine!)
Old 03-01-2008, 09:07 PM

shelbydusty is on a distinguished road

that is cool that you are actually in France!! So is it really cold there? Have you seen/tasted any food that is different from food in america? Have fun touring France!!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Jericho Kanes the Name

Renegade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbydusty View Post
that is cool that you are actually in France!! So is it really cold there? Have you seen/tasted any food that is different from food in america? Have fun touring France!!
Yes to all
Peace Out

I play Russian roulette everyday.... a man sport, with a bullet life.
YEA a bullet called life.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:13 PM

GianGian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
And we Portuguese speakers are well-known for our hospitality... There are a lot (and I mean a LOT) English tourists in Portugal during the summer and not even one can speak a word in Portuguese? Do we find that offensive? No, because we're used to it, we must speak English and you guys seem to think that everybody speaks it (no offense please). But it still kinda annoys me because no one gives to the trouble of speaking Portuguese when we go to another country. It's sad but true... But yeah, latin languages are so much harder to learn than English...

Yeah, I see...but I it's a matter of the use you can make with the language...Portugal and Brazil are the only countries that make some difference economically on the world that speak portuguese, or at least I don't know about any other...So why would a person learn portuguese when they can learn spanish instead and talk to many other people from a lot of other places that know the language? Or chinese, and make a lot of money out of it? My town has rarely any tourists, but I would love to talk to some in english, so I could practise my conversation, I wouldn't find it offensive at all.
Abraço amigo!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Don't speak French :(

Edcognito is on a distinguished road

I'm glad your getting a chance to visit France Ren - Hope you have a wonderfull time, and bring back many great memories!

Ed

"Most men serve the state thus: Not as men mainly, but as machines . . . "
Henry David Thoreau
Civil Disobedience
Old 03-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Choosy moms choose Tchaikovsky

Tchaikovsky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggin View Post
Indiana still sucks!
Indiana no suck
Old 03-02-2008, 01:06 AM
lililover

lilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaccio corsica View Post
hi
india is not a good example, most of the ppl speak hindii (light green), tamul (grey/blue] and other local languages
actually, there are very few ppl who speak english
there are officialy 29 languages, about 122 spoken by less than 1 million ppl plus some europeans: portuguese, french in the south of the country
here's the map

the percentage of ppl who are able to speak or understand english is probably more important in france than in india
cheers
dude seriously that is such an outdated thing you are talking about. Im Indian and there are more English speaking ppl in metros and urban areas then there are non-english speakers.(India is one of the top ten english speaking population in the world, only the chinese, americans,etc beats us)
This is cause almost all schools in India teach in English. So, a kid in India knows better English than his mother-tongue.