Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 11-23-2011, 08:59 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
What caliber is the High Standard? I've never seen that gun before.
.22 lr. and is one of the finest .22 pistols most people even have the means to afford.

Quote:
Another topic me and a few friends are debating is dryfiring. What is your take on it? I've been taught it can damage the pin, especially with precision rifles, so I use snap caps. However, I know people who are adamant that it does nothing to your gun.
It's really hard on rim fire guns like .22s, however on center fire guns with good strong firing pins you should be fine, nothing wrong with using snap caps though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi Driver Aaron View Post
I never really understood why people put a scope on a pistol. That's like putting binoculars on a sword.
That High Standard will outshoot most .22 rifles, I'm hitting 2" targets at 100 yards everytime with any ammo I use from the cheapest Remington gold box up to the most expensive match ammo I have. Which I find damn good for a 5" barrel, I know a lot of people who can't hit that with their scoped high power rifles much less .22 pistols. Honestly it's probably the 3rd if not 2nd most accurate gun at 100 yards that is in this house which says a little something.

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-24-2011, 12:52 PM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
I know a lot of people who can't hit that with their scoped high power rifles much less .22 pistols.
There were a group of guys at my church that would get together at someone's farm and basically have a day of shooting. Really, it was just to get together and socialize, but people would always show off their guns. You'd see people pull out all these expensive guns and what not, but 90% could not hit crap. It was almost scary how often these guys would miss. And it wasn't even that far out (between 5-20 yds at most for pistols, maybe 50 yds for rifles). As I've said I'm relatively new to shooting, and I was outshooting these guys who have been shooting for years (Not to blow my own horn, but I would say I'm a pretty decent shot though).
Old 11-24-2011, 01:01 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
There were a group of guys at my church that would get together at someone's farm and basically have a day of shooting. Really, it was just to get together and socialize, but people would always show off their guns. You'd see people pull out all these expensive guns and what not, but 90% could not hit crap. It was almost scary how often these guys would miss. And it wasn't even that far out (between 5-20 yds at most for pistols, maybe 50 yds for rifles). As I've said I'm relatively new to shooting, and I was outshooting these guys who have been shooting for years (Not to blow my own horn, but I would say I'm a pretty decent shot though).
xD I usually keep the pistol shooting to 25 yards at most, however the High Standard is just so accurate that I gotta go back to the 100 mark for a while. The .357 will bang those 2" targets at 25 damn near every time with open sites too. with rifles I shoot anywhere from 50-600 usually, have taken some longer shots but not often. Don't shoot a lot of paper, as I'm much better at hitting targets than grouping on paper, don't know why it's an odd thing.

A couple years ago I ended up sighting my .243 in while deer hunting, didn't realize the rifle got knocked hard and threw the scope off to the right 2 feet ended up taking 3 shots at 400 to shoot that buck through the antler none the less which was a little higher than I wanted but it did the job.

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-24-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
xD I usually keep the pistol shooting to 25 yards at most, however the High Standard is just so accurate that I gotta go back to the 100 mark for a while. The .357 will bang those 2" targets at 25 damn near every time with open sites too. with rifles I shoot anywhere from 50-600 usually, have taken some longer shots but not often. Don't shoot a lot of paper, as I'm much better at hitting targets than grouping on paper, don't know why it's an odd thing.
Recently, we've been bringing odd targets around the house to shoot up at the range (my favorite has to be my employee of the month plaque). And I've found that I also am slightly more accurate when shooting targets than paper. What was really fun was shooting water bottles strapped with CO2 cartridges (or "suicide bombers" as I called them).

My best friend, who really kicked me into buying a gun, is probably the best shooter I've seen, but everytime we went to a particular range, he would always do bad at pistols, but I would do better than normal. Which was kinda funny because I kept making fun of him, saying a newbie was outshooting him. Eventually he deduced that he for some reason, he gripped the gun differently. But everywhere else we go, he doesn't.

Funny how the tiniest things can make a rather noticeable difference when shooting.

Quote:
A couple years ago I ended up sighting my .243 in while deer hunting, didn't realize the rifle got knocked hard and threw the scope off to the right 2 feet ended up taking 3 shots at 400 to shoot that buck through the antler none the less which was a little higher than I wanted but it did the job.

Regards,

Jung
Might be my lack of sleep (3 hours, hoo-rah), but did you shot the antler off? Don't you want to save those? Or were you hunting for the meat?
Old 11-24-2011, 01:31 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Might be my lack of sleep (3 hours, hoo-rah), but did you shot the antler off? Don't you want to save those? Or were you hunting for the meat?
Like I said it was a little high, but it didn't shoot it off, but went in at the base of the antler leaving a little 1/4" hole in it.

Gonna try and run these through the .300 win mag when they show up next week too xD

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/677...atch-box-of-50

Regards,

Jung

Last edited by jung_adore_ALIZEE; 11-24-2011 at 01:52 PM..
Old 11-24-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Like I said it was a little high, but it didn't shoot it off, but went in at the base of the antler leaving a little 1/4" hole in it.

Gonna try and run these through the .300 win mag when they show up next week too xD

Regards,

Jung
Gotcha. Like I said, I'm running on little sleep, I can't sleep now, and I have to go into work 5 hours early today which is in like 4 hours.

If all goes as planned, me and a friend might go deer hunting with bows in late December, but bring the rifles for coyotes.

I really need to go hunting.

Edit:

I've been noticing that my Sig's been shooting pretty consistent groupings with 55 gr. Remington, despite the fact that it has a 1 in 7" twist. I may have to start trying different bullet weights with my reloads to see how they shoot through it now.

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 11-24-2011 at 02:05 PM..
Old 11-25-2011, 07:27 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
I've been noticing that my Sig's been shooting pretty consistent groupings with 55 gr. Remington, despite the fact that it has a 1 in 7" twist. I may have to start trying different bullet weights with my reloads to see how they shoot through it now.
I'm kinda on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to the twist rate of 5.56 barrels, unless I were planning on the heavier 75 gr. bullets. Personally when doing 55 gr. bullets out of a 5.56 I would go with a 1 in 12 twist rate or a 1 in 9 at the fastest. I say that simply from a wounding standpoint, the slower twist rate will stabilize the lighter bullet, but just barely. this near unstable flight with cause the bullet to almost immediately yaw on impact. Granted with soft points or ballistic tipped bullets the yawing is not needed. Usually the slowest twist rate to stabilize a particular bullet is the best way to go.

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-25-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I'm kinda on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to the twist rate of 5.56 barrels, unless I were planning on the heavier 75 gr. bullets. Personally when doing 55 gr. bullets out of a 5.56 I would go with a 1 in 12 twist rate or a 1 in 9 at the fastest. I say that simply from a wounding standpoint, the slower twist rate will stabilize the lighter bullet, but just barely. this near unstable flight with cause the bullet to almost immediately yaw on impact. Granted with soft points or ballistic tipped bullets the yawing is not needed. Usually the slowest twist rate to stabilize a particular bullet is the best way to go.

Regards,

Jung
That's why I'm a little confused. According to most sites I looked at, a 1 in 7 tend to throw 55 gr. bullets all over the target. Some people were saying 7-8" "groupings" with their rifles when they used 55. But mine will shoot about 2"-4" groupings at 100 yards.

This is a target I found lurking on a Sig Forum:

For comparison, that is about the same size groupings, add about 1-1.5", that I get when using cheapy 55 gr ammo. Let's just say, by the time the shooting is over, the 9 and 10 rings (on the targets I use, his are a little bigger) are shot up, and the 8 has some hits in there as well. I'll have to take a picture next time I go.

I should mention that this particular shooter shot this target at 100 yds prone offhand, with an EOTech. I use a bipod/foregrip and a 4x scope.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:11 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
That's why I'm a little confused. According to most sites I looked at, a 1 in 7 tend to throw 55 gr. bullets all over the target. Some people were saying 7-8" "groupings" with their rifles when they used 55. But mine will shoot about 2"-4" groupings at 100 yards.

This is a target I found lurking on a Sig Forum:

For comparison, that is about the same size groupings, add about 1-1.5", that I get when using cheapy 55 gr ammo. Let's just say, by the time the shooting is over, the 9 and 10 rings (on the targets I use, his are a little bigger) are shot up, and the 8 has some hits in there as well. I'll have to take a picture next time I go.

I should mention that this particular shooter shot this target at 100 yds prone offhand, with an EOTech. I use a bipod/foregrip and a 4x scope.
The biggest problem you may have with the fast twist rate on light bullets would be possible bullet break up, It is rare, but it can happen. If your particular gun shoots them good then by all means continue. Usually a faster twist rate will stabilize the lighter bullets woo along with the heavier, but the opposite rarely happens.

Regards,

Jung

Edit:

So yeah I am a revolver addict.

Regards,

Jung

Last edited by jung_adore_ALIZEE; 11-26-2011 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 11-26-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
So yeah I am a revolver addict.

Regards,

Jung
New?

Unless I find a better deal in store, I plan on buying this revolver once I'm 21 (only 1 year and 4 months to go ).

Uberti 1858 New Army Conversion

I would prefer it in .45 Colt, but I'm not too picky on that.