Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 06-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Ask me about France.

LeFantôme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs View Post
It's gotta soothing touch to it. Can't see how folks wouldn't identify it as her.
Do you mean the Rubato video or the Nellson remix? Are you guys aware that there is a third remix on her myspace?
Old 06-15-2008, 11:31 PM

Fixty Sixty is on a distinguished road

While I don't think the original song is about Nico, it certainly has been transformed into a tribute to Nico with it's dark gothic symbolism, slowed vocal and simple musical arrangement. There is even a funeral pyre representing Nico's cremation, embers enveloping Aliée and dead trees overtaking her on the bike. I'm impressed that Alizée would do something this non-commercial, and recognize an artist who was not particularly popular but who was influential.

This remix reminds me of my favorite Nico video performance Femme Fatal.

Artwork by MacKenzie
Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 AM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

Meh, I was never really a big fan of the Rubato remix. I'll take the original music and video over the current remix. It's just a happier and fun beat that way.

Addendum:
Ohhh, I just heard the Nellson remix on her MySpace and I like it.

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...

Last edited by Sir Wood; 06-16-2008 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: addendum
Old 06-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Perfecting tmesis

Par mon paupieres is on a distinguished road

I really like the Rubato mix.I've been listening to it an awful lot recently (it was the only thing that got me through the tedious France-Romania Euro match) and it's a real grower.It adds an almost sleazy (not in a bad way) aspect to the track and coupled with the downbeat video really works for me.

I appear to have come full circle on Fifty/Sixty as a whole as initially I wasn't a fan but then playing it full blast driving in the sunshine ( I think I posted a thread about this) revealed the song in a whole new light.Now with this remix I'm starting to think I prefer this version to the original.

This has surprised me as , with a few exceptions , I normally find remixes usually take away more from a track than they add to it.Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
Domo arigato, Mr. Rubato...and Alizée too...
Simply beautiful , Lefty.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par mon paupieres View Post
I really like the Rubato mix.I've been listening to it an awful lot recently (it was the only thing that got me through the tedious France-Romania Euro match) and it's a real grower.It adds an almost sleazy (not in a bad way) aspect to the track and coupled with the downbeat video really works for me.

I appear to have come full circle on Fifty/Sixty as a whole as initially I wasn't a fan but then playing it full blast driving in the sunshine ( I think I posted a thread about this) revealed the song in a whole new light.Now with this remix I'm starting to think I prefer this version to the original.
I'm right there with you--for some reason, the remix has been showing up a lot on my perpetually-on-random iPod the past week or so, and I've really found myself grooving on it.

The other day, though, I had a real 'American Beauty' moment with it. I was riding the bus home from work after a long day, and was half asleep with my head against the window when a sudden downpour started just as the Rubato remix cued up. Listening to it as the rain ran down the window, watching as adults ran for cover while high school kids gleefully danced in it in the middle of the road...with even the windshield wipers apparently synced to the beat...it was surreal and bizarrely perfect...this weird confluence of random factors that collided to create a beautiful moment, seemingly just for me.

Freaky, huh?

So yeah...while I still love the "shiny happy" version of Fifty/Sixty to death, I kind of "get" the remix now on a level I can't explain, and it's kinda become the "real" version of the song for me.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
I'm right there with you--for some reason, the remix has been showing up a lot on my perpetually-on-random iPod the past week or so, and I've really found myself grooving on it.

The other day, though, I had a real 'American Beauty' moment with it. I was riding the bus home from work after a long day, and was half asleep with my head against the window when a sudden downpour started just as the Rubato remix cued up. Listening to it as the rain ran down the window, watching as adults ran for cover while high school kids gleefully danced in it in the middle of the road...with even the windshield wipers apparently synced to the beat...it was surreal and bizarrely perfect...this weird confluence of random factors that collided to create a beautiful moment, seemingly just for me.

Freaky, huh?

So yeah...while I still love the "shiny happy" version of Fifty/Sixty to death, I kind of "get" the remix now on a level I can't explain, and it's kinda become the "real" version of the song for me.

Looks like you just got one of your movie moments. I remember one of my movie moments...I'd not get into detail.

The remix grew on me as well, I think it's pretty allusional, like something mysterious with a background, sort of like Pink Floyd and album covers.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:41 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

For those as ignorant as I was until a few minutes ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_libitum

In music, [ad libitum] appears in sheet music to indicate that a part can be left out, such as an unnecessary accompaniment or that a passage is to be played in free time rather than in strict tempo. This kind of freedom with the beat for expressive ends, when not explicitly indicated by the composer, is known in classical music as rubato. [Tempo rubato (Italian stolen time)]
Too much of a mere coincidence, eh?

Merci Fanny
Old 08-11-2008, 06:44 PM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

interesting tidbit roman, thanks.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Logical Progression

Tomtentp is on a distinguished road

Hmm, at first glance im not sure wether i like it or not. I've never been a fan of remixes, not at first anyway. When i first listen to a remix it somehow feels like it's the original but wrong, i have to listen to it a couple of times to get that feeling out of my head.

Im a relatively new Alizée fan but from what i've heard she is in an experimental stage of her carrier, not really sure what kind of music she want to make. This seems to be one of those little experiments. I think this is very positive since (as understand it) the fanbase is very split up music taste wise and by creating material with a great variety of styles i think there is something for everyone to like.

It's kinda late so i don't have time to fully "explore" the tune right now, but it's Alizée alright.

I didn't read all the pre posts either cus i got tierd of the fuzz about uttering your opinions properly. Enough with that stuff please, it's just energy consuming for everyone.