Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 11-26-2011, 01:52 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
New?
Used and a hell of a deal, 8" S&W 686 in .357 magnum with a Leupold M8-2X scope.all for seven and a quarter. Very smooth like all S&Ws and good cylinder lockup. Hopefully gonna be a 100 yard deer pistol for me, plan on testing it out tonight or this afternoon.

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-26-2011, 02:02 PM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
Used and a hell of a deal, 8" S&W 686 in .357 magnum with a Leupold M8-2X scope. all for seven and a quarter. Very smooth like all S&Ws and good cylinder lockup. Hopefully gonna be a 100 yard deer pistol for me, plan on testing it out tonight or this afternoon.

Regards,

Jung
Very nice. That is one good lookin' revolver. I kinda prefer the classic wooden hand grips over the modern black plastic ones. Don't know why, but I think they look a lot nicer.

Are .357's good deer hunting rounds? I thought they were a little on the small side.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:19 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Very nice. That is one good lookin' revolver. I kinda prefer the classic wooden hand grips over the modern black plastic ones. Don't know why, but I think they look a lot nicer.

Are .357's good deer hunting rounds? I thought they were a little on the small side.
The Houge Rubber grips are actually very comfortable.

The .357 is a fine Deer round, load em up with a nice 158 gr. bullet and you got a bullet that will penetrate and expand quite well out to 100 yards at least

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-27-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
The Houge Rubber grips are actually very comfortable.

The .357 is a fine Deer round, load em up with a nice 158 gr. bullet and you got a bullet that will penetrate and expand quite well out to 100 yards at least

Regards,

Jung
In terms of comfort, I do find modern handgrips to be more comfortable, however, in terms of aesthetics, I prefer the looks of classic wooden grips.

I guess I never figured handgun rounds to be serious hunting rounds. I don't think I'll be able to take down a deer with one anytime soon. I'll stick with a .308 for now, until I get more experience hunting.

Edit:

Just read about these in a gun magazine:

Kruger Dual Tactical Sight

I think it's pretty cool, and if they didn't cost more than my rifle, I would consider buying one. Not crazy about the design (too boxy), but to be able to switch from a red dot to a scope instantly is pretty sweet.

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 11-27-2011 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 11-27-2011, 10:57 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
In terms of comfort, I do find modern handgrips to be more comfortable, however, in terms of aesthetics, I prefer the looks of classic wooden grips.

I guess I never figured handgun rounds to be serious hunting rounds. I don't think I'll be able to take down a deer with one anytime soon. I'll stick with a .308 for now, until I get more experience hunting.
A .357 pushing a 158 gr bullet at about 1500 FPS will put down any deer I've seen If need be I could step up to a 180 gr bullet too, but I find that it would probably be overkill for Deer specially for my shooting style. Neck shots only, either they drop or I miss.

Quote:

Edit:

Just read about these in a gun magazine:

Kruger Dual Tactical Sight

I think it's pretty cool, and if they didn't cost more than my rifle, I would consider buying one. Not crazy about the design (too boxy), but to be able to switch from a red dot to a scope instantly is pretty sweet.
Looks interesting, but I think I'll stick with a fixed 2 or 4 power scope for such conditions, either that or a red dot with a flip up doubler.

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-27-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Neck shots only, either they drop or I miss.
Well aren't you hardcore?

Just kidding, that's awesome. In time, hopefully I will be able to hit that as well.

Quote:
Looks interesting, but I think I'll stick with a fixed 2 or 4 power scope for such conditions, either that or a red dot with a flip up doubler.

Regards,

Jung
For me, I'd probably put it on my Sig, because at the range I go to, they have a pistol range that goes from 10-50 yds and a 100-200yd range. When I first got my Sig, I got a basic BSA Multi-Reticle sight, but later on picked up a 1-4x Nikon. It would be nice to be able to have both a short and long range sight. I could then practice CQB at the pistol with the red dot, then walk over to the rifle range, flip a switch and do some long distance shooting.

But, that is all wishful thinking, as they cost more than the Sig itself.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Well aren't you hardcore?

Just kidding, that's awesome. In time, hopefully I will be able to hit that as well.
it's not too hard. I've done it for quite a while now, ever since I hit one in the vitals and had to track it for 2 plus miles. Which makes taking those neck shot so much easier, haven't had one that hasn't dropped dead in it's tracks since.

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-27-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
it's not too hard. I've done it for quite a while now, ever since I hit one in the vitals and had to track it for 2 plus miles. Which makes taking those neck shot so much easier, haven't had one that hasn't dropped dead in it's tracks since.

Regards,

Jung
Sounds like fun. *end sarcasm*

Have you ever hunted deer with shotgun slugs? I've been thinking about it since deer in Illinois can only be hunted with bows or shotguns, and I would like to take a deer with a firearm, without having to leave the state.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:08 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Sounds like fun. *end sarcasm*

Have you ever hunted deer with shotgun slugs? I've been thinking about it since deer in Illinois can only be hunted with bows or shotguns, and I would like to take a deer with a firearm, without having to leave the state.
A 12 gauge slug will put down about anything out to at least 100 yards. My dad and one brother used to hunt with 20 gauge slugs too with great results. A shotgun will actually out penetrate most rifles at that distance, a slow heavy payload will always outperform a fast light one. They make great brush guns too xD, give it a try and see how it turns out for you.

Regards,

Jung

Edit:

I'm thinking I might try something like this out of the new 8" .357. see how they do anyway and maybe start casting my own next year xD.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/247...eck-box-of-100

Regards,

Jung

Last edited by jung_adore_ALIZEE; 11-27-2011 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
A 12 gauge slug will put down about anything out to at least 100 yards. My dad and one brother used to hunt with 20 gauge slugs too with great results. A shotgun will actually out penetrate most rifles at that distance, a slow heavy payload will always outperform a fast light one. They make great brush guns too xD, give it a try and see how it turns out for you.

Regards,

Jung
I just found out I'm gonna miss the window for firearm deer season by about 2 weeks. This whole hunter safety course requirement is bull. Hypothetically, someone who has never held a firearm, but was born before 1980, can buy a permit, but anyone after that cannot without this stupid course.

At least coyote season is year round. Speaking of, what is a reasonable caliber to use on coyotes (as in kills but not totally mutilates)? I was thinking of using the Sig, but don't know if the .223/5.56 is enough to take one down. If not, I can use the Weatherby.

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 11-27-2011 at 07:31 PM..