Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 05-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
That's only different in terms of the music styles and weapons technology.
And reasons, demographics, organizations, and well... everything really, other than the fact that it's poor and full of crime.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
And reasons, demographics, organizations, and well... everything really, other than the fact that it's poor and full of crime.
No, it emerges from the position of Marseilles as an entry point and an interface between the Mediterranean and France proper. Hence the high immigrant population, and everything else flows from that.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 05-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Century Child

Quote:
No, it emerges from the position of Marseilles as an entry point and an interface between the Mediterranean and France proper. Hence the high immigrant population, and everything else flows from that.
That's not the only reason for the current conditions there, though (which also include politics, industrialization, destruction during WW2, etc). You can't compare modern urban poverty to pre-first century piracy.

Marseilles has always been a port, but it hasn't always been dangerous. Yes, it's interesting that it was long ago and is again today, but there were periods of prosperity in between.

Last edited by Ben; 05-05-2007 at 12:22 PM..
Old 05-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Marseilles has always been a port, but it hasn't always been dangerous. Yes, it's interesting that it was long ago and is again today, but there were periods of prosperity in between.
Could that be because Europe was more insulated from the Mediterranean in certain periods between Roman times and modern ones? The similarity between the two being that in Roman times there was a mingling of very different cultures, facilitated by open sea-trade routes and booming-busting commerce.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 05-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Century Child

Quote:
Could that be because Europe was more insulated from the Mediterranean in certain periods between Roman times and modern ones? The similarity between the two being that in Roman times there was a mingling of very different cultures, facilitated by open sea-trade routes and booming-busting commerce.
Probably at times yes, at other times no. I don't know specifics, but I think your looking at the history of the city too broadly. I mean, Marseilles' status as a port hasn't changed in the last 30 years, yet that's when the current crisis hit. And even just last year it started to pull out, so maybe it won't be a dangerous place much longer. There are lots of factors, but I doubt many (if any) are directly connected to those from two thousand years ago.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:57 PM
You ain't seen nothin yet

Joey_adore_Jung is on a distinguished road

hmm interesting deepwaters and snatcher really interesting guys. not that i can say anything about it for i know nothing about it interesting.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:48 PM

Matrix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah, though I wasn't even referring to history, just contemporary conditions. It's a bit different kind of "hood" now. Think, ya know, Harlem, rap videos, etc.
I just watched the Travel Channel on Marseilles, france and they said the city has undergone a transformation just like New York Times Square did, they cleaned up their act or were forced to.

Of course the Travel Channel was saying come to Marseilles, it's different now, you will like it. That city appeared to me to be a place where alot of different cultures converge on one another, Africa and Middle East meets Europe sort of thing.

I have no doubt Marseilles would be a very interesting city to visit where anyone, no matter who you are would be welcome.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
That city appeared to me to be a place where alot of different cultures converge on one another, Africa and Middle East meets Europe sort of thing.
Indeed. Quick googling and wiki-ing gives some idea of those immigrants (and their offspring) I talked about.

Marseilles total population consists:

37% Italians
25% North Africans
12% Armenians

Quick calculations tells that French and other ethnic groups takes only 26% of total population. Since there's significant amount of ethnic groups from Greece, German, Turkey and Vietnam, it leaves French population maybe to 15% to 20% total.

It's kinda bizarre city population wise. French city with 80% non-French ethnic groups.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:44 PM
You ain't seen nothin yet

Joey_adore_Jung is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
Indeed. Quick googling and wiki-ing gives some idea of those immigrants (and their offspring) I talked about.

Marseilles total population consists:

37% Italians
25% North Africans
12% Armenians

Quick calculations tells that French and other ethnic groups takes only 26% of total population. Since there's significant amount of ethnic groups from Greece, German, Turkey and Vietnam, it leaves French population maybe to 15% to 20% total.

It's kinda bizarre city population wise. French city with 80% non-French ethnic groups.

so is it just me or does it look as the the french really don't controlthe area or just not ome of the most populated of them there? am i getting this right?
Old 05-06-2007, 01:40 AM
Alizée Cynic

lead2gold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhehe View Post
so is it just me or does it look as the the french really don't controlthe area or just not ome of the most populated of them there? am i getting this right?
Well, its still a French city, even if most of the people are of a different ethnicity.