Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 02-23-2008, 05:08 PM

tbailey is on a distinguished road
Cool

Again look at the example of "Polysics" a Japanese New Wave Band
They sing in Japanese...that's right JAPANESE

And they play shows in the U.S., England, France, other countries in Europe, and all over Asia.

They sell out every show

And you may have not have heard of them but they have a strong and devoted fan base in dozens of countries throughout the world

They were signed by Myspace Records recently and are featured on Tom's personal page

see their own page:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...0-70c74c3be310

That in itself means a lot

Look at all the cities they have gone to:

And here are the cities and places we are playing:

10/11 San Diego, CA | The Casbah
10/12 Pomona, CA | Glasshouse
10/13 Los Angeles, CA | Troubadour
10/14 San Francisco, CA | Bottom of the Hill

And then there is the MySpace Music Tour with Say Anything and Hellogoodbye:

10/16 Seattle, WA
10/17 Portland, OR
10/19 Magna, UT
10/20 Denver, CO
10/21 Wichita, KS
10/22 Milwaukee, WI
10/24 Chicago, IL
10/25 Detroit, MI
10/26 Covington, KY
10/27 Moon Township, PA
10/28 Atlantic City, NJ
10/30 New York, NY
10/31 Allentown, PA
11/1 Providence, RI
11/2 Gettysburg, PA
11/3 Emmitsburg, MD
11/4 Raleigh, NC
11/6 Orlando, FL
11/7 Miami Beach, FL
11/9 Houston, TX
11/10 Dallas, TX
11/11 San Antonio, TX
11/13 Tucson, AZ
11/14 Tempe, AZ
11/16 San Francisco, CA
11/17 San Diego, CA
11/18 Los Angeles, CA
11/19 Los Angeles, CA
11/20 Anaheim, CA
11/23 Las Vegas, NV

Last edited by tbailey; 02-23-2008 at 05:16 PM..
Old 02-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I hate to be negative, but if I was a betting man I would bet that Alizée will never come to the US as a performer. I am a big proponent of her coming here and I will always hope she does, but I don’t think it will happen.

I was watching for 2 signs of this when her third album came out. Had she worked on her English skills during her 3 years off and does her new album have one or two English songs on it? Of course the album does not have English songs, but that’s OK by me. Like many of you, I prefer her singing in French. But it was probably indicative of the fact she had no plans to enter English speaking markets.

The other question has been answered to some extent by some of our members who went to the Paris autograph session, as well as a recent article where Alizée said she wasn’t bilingual. The impression I got is that she wouldn’t be comfortable coming to the US as an artist if she is not bilingual. She also said that she is very scared of the American market. I don’t think her English is strong enough to give her the confidence she needs, and she didn’t use her 3 years off to improve it to that level. Again, this indicates to me she had no plans or made any effort to prepare for entering English speaking markets.

When asked about singing in the US she did say “Why not?” and she also said she hasn’t forgotten about us (meaning the US fans), but I think these remarks were just made on the spur of the moment. When asked about touring in a recent interview she said that if it was up to her, she would never leave France. She then mentioned going to Mexico, Germany and Japan, but it sounded more like a career obligation and not something she necessarily desired. She never mentioned the US. I think Alizée’s dream is to maintain a solid career in France that pays the bills and keeps her going, and she would be happy if the rest of the world would just forget about her. I’m sure she agonizes over what to do about us.

The only way I see getting Alizée to the US is to have the same thing happen here as happened in Mexico. The fans would have to get her into the US media and make her a phenomenon here. Alizée and her record company are not going to make any effort to do it, as far as I can see. Either we have too few fans, or we’re not willing to work that hard, or we can’t break through the wall separating us from the media. And if we did succeed, would we be putting a burden on Alizée that she just doesn’t want?

I think as US fans of Alizée, we have to make peace with the fact that our lot in life is to admire her from a distance, or travel to where she is. Many other international fans are in the same boat. This is not about her disliking anybody, this is about her not wanting to be that famous.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:58 PM

mal is on a distinguished road

@tbailey dont even bother. Im sick of arguing with this grotesquely delusional negative types. they spew all this negativity on a fan site and call themselves fans without any real factual basis. I avoid this thread generally b/c of the posts. I cant believe some of these arent moderated out.

I sometimes think its some enemy/competitor of Alizee's here just to rain gloom. Facts are facts, example upon example and all I hear is "naaahaaa naahaaa" like kids refuting whether they stole a cookie or hit out in baseball.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Alizée's FireFighter

Youpidou1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
I hate to be negative, but if I was a betting man I would bet that Alizée will never come to the US as a performer. I am a big proponent of her coming here and I will always hope she does, but I don’t think it will happen.

I was watching for 2 signs of this when her third album came out. Had she worked on her English skills during her 3 years off and does her new album have one or two English songs on it? Of course the album does not have English songs, but that’s OK by me. Like many of you, I prefer her singing in French. But it was probably indicative of the fact she had no plans to enter English speaking markets.

The other question has been answered to some extent by some of our members who went to the Paris autograph session, as well as a recent article where Alizée said she wasn’t bilingual. The impression I got is that she wouldn’t be comfortable coming to the US as an artist if she is not bilingual. She also said that she is very scared of the American market. I don’t think her English is strong enough to give her the confidence she needs, and she didn’t use her 3 years off to improve it to that level. Again, this indicates to me she had no plans or made any effort to prepare for entering English speaking markets.

When asked about singing in the US she did say “Why not?” and she also said she hasn’t forgotten about us (meaning the US fans), but I think these remarks were just made on the spur of the moment. When asked about touring in a recent interview she said that if it was up to her, she would never leave France. She then mentioned going to Mexico, Germany and Japan, but it sounded more like a career obligation and not something she necessarily desired. She never mentioned the US. I think Alizée’s dream is to maintain a solid career in France that pays the bills and keeps her going, and she would be happy if the rest of the world would just forget about her. I’m sure she agonizes over what to do about us.

The only way I see getting Alizée to the US is to have the same thing happen here as happened in Mexico. The fans would have to get her into the US media and make her a phenomenon here. Alizée and her record company are not going to make any effort to do it, as far as I can see. Either we have too few fans, or we’re not willing to work that hard, or we can’t break through the wall separating us from the media. And if we did succeed, would we be putting a burden on Alizée that she just doesn’t want?

I think as US fans of Alizée, we have to make peace with the fact that our lot in life is to admire her from a distance, or travel to where she is. Many other international fans are in the same boat. This is not about her disliking anybody, this is about her not wanting to be that famous.
There may be a lot of fans in the USA but they are all distant from each other. Which would cause the CD stores to not get so much business because of not alot of fans in the area. Lets make a commercial with Alizée's CD in it!!!!!! YEAH!!!!

All you need is 1 Truck.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:26 AM

Cool

hey - i know i've probably talked a lot about this band

but they are an important example of a foreign band that can make it in the U.S.

and hell their music is great!!!
a different style from the typical U.S. music

here are some u tube videos

Electric Surfin Go Go
their best video i've seen

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m9aL7tQhnwI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m9aL7tQhnwI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I My Me Mine
Pretty good video - cool dancing

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N3cchoBmgG8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N3cchoBmgG8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Black Out Fall Out
this video is rather uneventful but shows how the everyday business world in Japan sucks and the song is great

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWpfX5jqKxg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWpfX5jqKxg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Computer (something?)
latest single

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7q3aiPQS3-E&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7q3aiPQS3-E&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

their self-proclaimed forefather is Devo - the 80's band from Akron, Ohio (if anybody here is from that area you may find that interesting)
Devo's main symbolic message was the "de-evolution" of humankind i guess refering to how humans have to work more hours than ever before in history, more cases of clinical depression, proliferation of drugs, crime, wars, and so on.

Polysics is much more, for lack of a better word, happier and more up tempoed...but musically somewhat similar to Devo

here's their new album - i bought mine at a local BestBuy (it wasn't in the World/foreign section but the U.S. Rock section)

official site: http://www.polysics.com/en/

and some more pictures (i'm on spring break right now - i have some time on my hands)

Last edited by tbailey; 03-29-2008 at 01:40 AM..
Old 03-22-2008, 03:53 PM

Cool

hey here's another really good Polysics song
i think its a remix of an older Japanese classic pop song

its a really cool video and always puts me a good mood

hey also, mods, how come this wasn't made the official thread for Alizee coming to America?

it has over 140 posts and has been seen by over 5,000 people
that just hurts
Old 03-22-2008, 04:51 PM

NeverMore is on a distinguished road

Those guys are pretty cool, i might have to go see them
Old 03-22-2008, 06:24 PM

davmuz is on a distinguished road

Hey, i'm not in the USA, but she does have her own popular American site, (check out the Google ratings thingy). The UK website isn't any where as near as good, even though geographically closer. On another point, with reference to Madonna, personally i'd rather listen to any track of Psycedelices than the complete, mind boggling, mess that has been made with Madonna's new release. It seems to have gone through a backwards production phase, where the thaught is, 'how can we make this good song sound like a sewer?'. I think Madge's producers should be phoning Alizee's, not the other way round. hmm bah.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:21 PM
A 19 KILLA

vercingetorix is on a distinguished road

anyone here
Old 03-25-2008, 04:00 PM

mal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal View Post
@tbailey dont even bother. Im sick of arguing with this grotesquely delusional negative types. they spew all this negativity on a fan site and call themselves fans without any real factual basis. I avoid this thread generally b/c of the posts. I cant believe some of these arent moderated out.

I sometimes think its some enemy/competitor of Alizee's here just to rain gloom. Facts are facts, example upon example and all I hear is "naaahaaa naahaaa" like kids refuting whether they stole a cookie or hit out in baseball.

No one is here for reasons I stated before.