Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 02-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Corrupt mods? No way!

HelixSix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Ultimately it will be the music that makes or breaks the album, but if she comes up with a couple of maybe not great, but let's say good songs, a very good music video featuring her dancing abilities could do a lot to improve the type of success it has.
I think the proof here is Cascada's song, Evacuate The Dancefloor. It's a hit pretty much because of the song itself. Even though the theme is about being in a club she doesn't do one legit move (unless you count rubbing her hair or hip with her hand a move). No routine, no moves, and she is out of shape compared to American standards but the song is still a hit because of the beat, how catchy it is and a decent video aside from her standing around the whole time.

If you simply replaced her with Alizée I bet it would be so much more popular. Then replace her with Alizée plus a slick dance routine and you can only imagine.

It's sad when good music gets wasted by a performer and when a good performer can't get good music.

Last edited by HelixSix; 02-20-2011 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 02-20-2011, 07:20 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Yeah, Alizée has to pick up working seriously again, or this is it. No idea if she's actually willing to do it.

So, the fortunes in music biz are pretty unpredictable...means Alizée still has a chance for a successful comeback, but she really has to put everything into it, part-time singer will not work.
This, in a nutshell, is and has been the problem with Alizee?
There has been no indication whatsoever that she is willing to put the effort in to make another successful album.
I doubt if that's going to change any time soon.
IF it dosen't change (and change quickly) then the prospects are not good.
There is still time (maybe) but her work rate and attitude have to change.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I think the one promising thing is, when I watched her performances during En Concert, I often found myself muttering to myself, "unbelievably beautiful!". Once again while watching her dance and perform during this years Les Enfoires, I once again find myself muttering to myself "Unbelievably beautiful!" She still has it. Will she use it to the best of her ability?
Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it's all a matter of getting the right combination of music, performance and promotion together. Of course that's easier said than done, and there's no "easy" button for this. But Alizée definitely has what it takes.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

I think some people get really frustrated and do a bit of lambasting Alizée. And I think people defend her and her choices while displaying an ignorance of the situation and even her opinions. If you want to know what Alizée thinks, you can read the interviews.

One point, of course money matters to Alizée. It matters to everyone unless they are super rich. And of course it matters to those who work with her.

Aside from that, you define what success means to you and then go look at the situation and say whether or not she has done whatever you came up with. If you have to resort to assumptions because you don't know enough of the history or haven't read enough of what Alizée and others have said, then you aren't really capable of realistically having this conversation. That's my opinion.

I have a hard time coming here because topics like this come up and it just makes me frustrated and depressed to think about Alizée's career because even though some of her performances are good and even her last album had an arguably unique and admirable quality, mostly related to her singing, she doesn't seem to be able to get any traction and make any movement. And it's depressing to have this same conversation year after year after year and see people write the same things about it - from those who think she has done horribly to those who seem to be in full wishful thinking mode and can't possibly face reality. So, I'm sorry if I've been around too long and seen too many missed opportunities and broken promises, but you created the thread and I happened to see it on a day that I felt like responding. That's my perspective. I'm sorry if an honest summation of it seems like attacking people.

I want to respect Alizée and wish I could admire her more for what she has actually done rather than being disappointed by what she hasn't, but her 'solo' career seems completely defunct. She has done well with Les Enfoirés and others it seems. And, she has connections; so, who knows, maybe she'll make a few new songs some day or something. Enjoy what you can of the world before it ends folks. bye for now

Merci Fanny
Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Yes. We have said this all before. And you're right, she has not gotten traction.

So... she tries again... and this time she either does or does not get traction. If so... Great. If not... then whatever happens next is what happens. I would like to see her succeed, but she either will or she won't. It's a tough business... tough to get on top and tough to stay on top.

She loves to perform. I hope she has many future opportunities to do so.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:31 AM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Corsican folk dancing - the Moresca

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
I believe most Americans are very familiar with this type of music and a lot of people like it. Folk music of certain regions in the US was influenced by this music and music similar to it when immigrants brought it over many, many years ago.
Gosh, if I can feature a Hungarian folk dance here, why not a Corsican one? Good point!

<table cellpadding="10" ><tr><td></td><td>The Wikipedia article on the music of Corsica writes:
There are two dances of ancient origin found in Corsica: the caracollu, a women's funeral dance, and the moresca, illustrating the struggle between Moors and Christians.
One of the best examples of the Moresca can be seen in Franco Zeffirelli's 1968 production of Romeo and Juliet, which has a scene with Moresca characters and lavish, florid portrayal of the dance in the Capulet home.</td></tr></table>

<object width="640" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/QZztlBFjiqQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/QZztlBFjiqQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="510"></embed></object>

By the way, the English term Morris Dance: is believed to be a corruption of Moorish dance, i.e. it denotes a derivative of the Moresca.

Unfortunately, while some of Alizée's earlier songs reference Corsica, only Mon Maquis contains a genuine sample of Corsican musical culture. I will not hold my breath until she dances the Moresca!

Last edited by FanDeAliFee; 02-21-2011 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: add flsg
Old 02-21-2011, 08:46 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
I think some people get really frustrated and do a bit of lambasting Alizée. And I think people defend her and her choices while displaying an ignorance of the situation and even her opinions. If you want to know what Alizée thinks, you can read the interviews.

One point, of course money matters to Alizée. It matters to everyone unless they are super rich. And of course it matters to those who work with her.

Aside from that, you define what success means to you and then go look at the situation and say whether or not she has done whatever you came up with. If you have to resort to assumptions because you don't know enough of the history or haven't read enough of what Alizée and others have said, then you aren't really capable of realistically having this conversation. That's my opinion.

I have a hard time coming here because topics like this come up and it just makes me frustrated and depressed to think about Alizée's career because even though some of her performances are good and even her last album had an arguably unique and admirable quality, mostly related to her singing, she doesn't seem to be able to get any traction and make any movement. And it's depressing to have this same conversation year after year after year and see people write the same things about it - from those who think she has done horribly to those who seem to be in full wishful thinking mode and can't possibly face reality. So, I'm sorry if I've been around too long and seen too many missed opportunities and broken promises, but you created the thread and I happened to see it on a day that I felt like responding. That's my perspective. I'm sorry if an honest summation of it seems like attacking people.

I want to respect Alizée and wish I could admire her more for what she has actually done rather than being disappointed by what she hasn't, but her 'solo' career seems completely defunct. She has done well with Les Enfoirés and others it seems. And, she has connections; so, who knows, maybe she'll make a few new songs some day or something. Enjoy what you can of the world before it ends folks. bye for now
Hey Roman! It's good to see you in here again. You should stop by more often. A few weeks ago we discussed in here the fact that we wanted to have discussions that might be of a controversial nature, might be kind of depressing, might be critical of Alizee. We knew these discussions might get kind of heated so we decided to label any forum that might fall into this category as MDO, which means mad dog orations (with my forum name, I shouldn't have said that). Just kidding, it means mature discussion only (guess that leaves me out). So be forewarned that when ever you join in a forum with that label, it could be kind of depressing.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 02-21-2011 at 09:20 AM..
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Hey Roman! It's good to see you in here again. You should stop by more often. A few weeks ago we discussed in here the fact that we wanted to have discussions that might be of a controversial nature, might be kind of depressing, might be critical of Alizee. We knew these discussions might get kind of heated so we decided to label any forum that might fall into this category as MDO, which means mad dog orations (with my forum name, I shouldn't have said that). Just kidding, it means mature discussion only (guess that let's me out). So be forewarned that when ever you join in a forum with that label, it could be kind of depressing.
Yeah and I'm rarely in this thread so I don't want to be thought of as the person that created this depressing thread Roman. I was just doing what others suggested to make a Mature Discussion Only type of thread and hey, it worked out. But man, these conversations are indeed very depressing...I'm out
Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM

Quantum is on a distinguished road

I know nothing about Alizeé's motivation or work ethic. I do sense, as I noted long ago in one of my rare and infrequent posts in this forum, whoever is in the position of managing her career overall, is having a bit of a difficult time of it. In my opinion even at her current ripe age pushing 27 she still possesses the talent and ability to be a major industry influence. As well noted, her career choices have taken her down a different path in the past few years. That coupled with industry changes from when she was first launched, leave her career in some jeopardy.

Musical hits are doing well as are those performers on the tail (niche). It is middle-range audience that is shrinking, as reported by Billboard in the States and elsewhere. In Britain for example people in their 40s spent more on pop and rock music than teenagers or people in their 20s (TNS). Thus both genre appeal and demographics matter.

In my view to survive in this industry in any meaningful degree she must broaden her audience base, which must be reflected across the board in all her production values, not merely song selection. A strong vision is required by her and those managing her and a clearly charted path to achieve it. Else, she could easily wither into musical oblivion.