Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Support

Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 AM
Mňau ^_^

Fèvier is on a distinguished road

What if there is a private forum where you must gain 100 posts to be able to apply to get into and all forum members who are already in can vote?
-starting off would be the mods/older members to decide who gets in. After that whoever else is in will partake in a democratic type of voting once a member reaches 100 posts.
Kind of just repeated myself but you get the point.

And I am also in favor of deleting the "Her-" threads. If people were worried about Alizée seeing them, then what about noobs?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

Here's what I tried thanks to Brian's post :
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6250
Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Mňau ^_^

That's why I said "if"
And labeling threads, like I said before and mentioned by Brian, is a good test run to see how things go.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:24 AM

BlackAnthem is on a distinguished road

So lemme get this straight:

We want to change this forum to a private forum where members are selected through a process of voting by other members? Hmmm...I vote no on that. Being able to make newer members more mature is something left in the hands of the mods. Now if we could just allow everyone BUT THEN if any misconduct occurs then we could give them negative votes and a certain number of votes might get them temporarily banned or if enough happen then permanently.

I mean let's look at a real life example where this worked: ColdFlo. He was being immature and we had enough and banned him. It should be the same for other members.

Also I am in favor of getting rid of "Her ____" threads. I believe some other threads might require the same actions as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

More general comments:

The original idea I had in mind was to isolate some discussions so that we could have a go at more “controversial” and less conventional topics without hurting sensitivities. It was never my intention to segregate members. Also, when I use “private” forum, I refer to a forum that is “non-public”; this has nothing to do with some “private club” forum where only the selected few members could contribute. The point is that the public should not see those discussions and “over-sensitive” members should avoid that “non-public” forum. That’s basically all I am saying.

The discussion on this topic has drifted (and this is fine) and I am trying to include other people’s ideas. This is why the original concept is getting a little blurry right now. It seems many people are trying to solve all the issues of AAm forums with such a “non-public” forum. I am not sure this will work. We have to think about it.

And BTW, getting rid of certain threads because they don’t fit some people’s conception of what should be discussed on AAm forums is exactly what I am opposed to. I would like a “non-public” forum to explore all sorts of avenues (in the respect of all applicable rules, of course). This is exactly what my first intent was. Ultimately, if people prefer to just discuss the conventional topics and keep the format we have now, I think that unless Alizée really starts producing more music and promotes herself more, the contribution to the AAm forums will stay pretty low. There is just so much one can discuss when everyone’s sensibilities (EDIT:sensitivities) have to be protected.

Last edited by Corsaire; 02-01-2011 at 12:51 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 PM

BlackAnthem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
And BTW, getting rid of certain threads because they don’t fit some people’s conception of what should be discussed on AAm forums is exactly what I am opposed to. I would like a “non-public” forum to explore all sorts of avenues (in the respect of all applicable rules, of course). This is exactly what my first intent was. Ultimately, if people prefer to just discuss the conventional topics and keep the format we have now, I think that unless Alizée really starts producing more music and promotes herself more, the contribution to the AAm forums will stay pretty low. There is just so much one can discuss when everyone’s sensibilities have to be protected.
Ok. That's fine. But we should be able to control what threads are shown on the homepage. None of this "Her ____" stuff. That's what we're saying I think.

And the idea of privatizing threads based on people is no good. That there would split the whole site down the middle with massive conflicts. We wouldn't want that. I think what were concerned about is NOT ONLY NOOBS but other immature people who come in and frolic around for a bit then leave. It's kinda tedious.

But nonetheless we should clean up the site. Neaten things up and maybe...

__________________________________________________ _______________
Anyway a little off topic. Can we get the podcasts back up and running? Anyone wanna take that on? Maybe do a Alizee news stuff...? Kaythanksbye.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Mňau ^_^

So pretty much what you mean is that unless you register here you can't see the "private" forum? That's a good idea as well. It would be nice to be able to have a little area where one can discuss certain "controversial" issues without being scolded at, unless things get out of have of course. I would like to have this up and if one doesn't like a certain thread's discussion, then just don't get involved. If you do then just keep it at a civil and proper manner.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM

BrianO1 is on a distinguished road

@Corsaire---just a quick question about these "controversial" discussions.

Can you post a few examples of the topics you dont feel ok posting now, but would if this new section opened?

Last edited by BrianO1; 02-01-2011 at 01:41 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelixSix View Post
...That is assuming the beginning of the end hasn't already started. I think it's closer to the end. At least the end of a respectable forum. And as each new generation takes over more of the older guys get irritated and leave. I used to talk to them a lot in the off topic section, that was of course way before it turned into the troll section.

It might work for the new people but what about the older ones? There will come a day (if it hasn't already) when Ben, Roman and the others will roll over in their legendary graves because of what their hard work turned into.

I've been apart of great forums that died because people thought "it isn't that bad" but did nothing until it was too late. One of those I ended up being banned for making claims like I'm kinda doing right now. The mod's were in denial and perma banned me and when I went back 4 months later it had vanished. Admins pulled the plug.

Like me, you have been here for years, so you have seen how it has shifted over time. I agree that the tone of the forum has changed (and not for the better), however I do not believe that segregating part of the group is the solution. Rather, simply trying to get the forum back on track is what we need to focus on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
More general comments:

...And BTW, getting rid of certain threads because they don’t fit some people’s conception of what should be discussed on AAm forums is exactly what I am opposed to. I would like a “non-public” forum to explore all sorts of avenues (in the respect of all applicable rules, of course). This is exactly what my first intent was.

Ultimately, if people prefer to just discuss the conventional topics and keep the format we have now, I think that unless Alizée really starts producing more music and promotes herself more, the contribution to the AAm forums will stay pretty low. There is just so much one can discuss when everyone’s sensibilities (EDIT:sensitivities) have to be protected.
The problem with having a separate area is that the core people will tend to hang out there, to the exclusion of the rest of the forum. This will end up creating the split I am referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAnthem View Post
...And the idea of privatizing threads based on people is no good. That there would split the whole site down the middle with massive conflicts. We wouldn't want that. I think what were concerned about is NOT ONLY NOOBS but other immature people who come in and frolic around for a bit then leave. It's kinda tedious....
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fèvier View Post
So pretty much what you mean is that unless you register here you can't see the "private" forum? That's a good idea as well. It would be nice to be able to have a little area where one can discuss certain "controversial" issues without being scolded at, unless things get out of have of course. I would like to have this up and if one doesn't like a certain thread's discussion, then just don't get involved. If you do then just keep it at a civil and proper manner.
If we do end up with a "private" members-only area (and I have already indicated my preference not to) then it needs to be open to all members.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:48 PM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianO1 View Post
@Corsaire---just a quick question about these "controversial" discussions.

Can you post a few examples of the topics you dont feel ok posting now, but would if this new section opened?
This is a very good question but I would rather not give examples of topics here (anyone interested can PM me) because people will tend to fixate on these and then we might start to discuss the topics themselves instead of discussing the main item on the menu, which is, do we want to create this “non-public” forum, or not.

If you want to get a feel for what topics it could be, just think of it this way: just about anything could be discussed as long as all rules applicable would be respected. This includes keeping it at “PG-13” level, I suppose. The beauty of it would be that if anyone found any of these topics boring, stupid, offensive... they could just avoid that forum altogether. It would even be legitimate that other members challenge a member that is complaining about the content of some thread and ask him/her to leave the “non-public” forum instead of constantly complaining. This is not so clearly legitimate in the public forum sections and members hesitate to police themselves.

We also need to keep in mind that threads that are more conventional would still be posted in the public forums. The “non-public” forum would just be a place where people agree to discuss more “contentious” issues in a mature and civilized mannered, that’s all. The public forums should still be used for the vast majority of threads. Would there be a shift after a while and everyone would just switch to the “non-public” forum, well, that would be a serious problem for AAm forums and we do have to consider that the possibility is there.

For the rest, I think the people involved (including myself) have basically exhausted the topic and I will take a break from this issue and return later on.
Have fun if you still have more to add! ... I will keep reading...

Last edited by Corsaire; 02-01-2011 at 03:55 PM..

Tags
forum, suggestion box