Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 06-26-2024, 11:07 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal Davout View Post
Actually Not; as these were US Air Force Planes ! Ha ! But I might have been on an American Airlines jet as the Commercial Planes used to fly into McGuire AFB to take Marines and others to Europe. As ground crew Airmen we used to go on board to talk to the Stewardeses ; but the high command didn't like it; so then we were forbidden to go on civilian airliners ! The civilian commercial planes were refueled with AF Fuel; as they were on a US Contract.
At our one base; the Colonel commanding the squadron wanted all his Propellers with one prop down to the ground; so airman would have to go out occasionally to pull one prop till it pointed to the ground ! This is not actually a good idea; because if a Cylinder has gas in it; it can fire and rotate the props once hitting you ! But he was the Colonel Commanding ! So; having been in the USAF, I have a lot of AF stories, I might relate some time ! Ha !
I'd like to hear them!
Old 06-26-2024, 02:05 PM

Marshal Davout is on a distinguished road
Default Not actually a good story, but

I was in a war zone and I had gone to Breakfast at the "Chow Hall" at 5 AM; as I had to see my plane off at daylight ( as they flew during the day; and we worked on them at night, if we needed to ). The Night was Pitch Dark with no Moon and only very few lights way off in the distance. I knew approximately where I was and where my plane was on our Parking field which was Gravel. So; as I am walking out to my plane crunching along on the gravel in my combat boots. There was no sound anywhere. But the army had crossed me up and had put a private in a little sand-bagged "fort" at the end of our runway. He was in the fort with no lights on ! And so it was that I distinctly heard the sound of a guy charging his Rifle ! So then I knew he thought I was the enemy ! So I put my flashlight on myself ( as all AF Mechanics carry one and a long screwdriver to open cowling with ) ! I told him; "Don't Shoot; I'm Air Force ! " He didn't say anything, so I kept walking to my plane and breathed a sigh of relief, when I made it ! I never took that "shortcut" again !

Last edited by Marshal Davout; 06-26-2024 at 02:16 PM..
Old 06-26-2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I was in a war zone and I had gone to Breakfast at the "Chow Hall" at 5 AM; as I had to see my plane off at daylight ( as they flew during the day; and we worked on them at night, if we needed to ). The Night was Pitch Dark with no Moon and only very few lights way off in the distance. I knew approximately where I was and where my plane was on our Parking field which was Gravel. So; as I am walking out to my plane crunching along on the gravel in my combat boots. There was no sound anywhere. But the army had crossed me up and had put a private in a little sand-bagged "fort" at the end of our runway. He was in the fort with no lights on ! And so it was that I distinctly heard the sound of a guy charging his Rifle ! So then I knew he thought I was the enemy ! So I put my flashlight on myself ( as all AF Mechanics carry one and a long screwdriver to open cowling with ) ! I told him; "Don't Shoot; I'm Air Force ! " He didn't say anything, so I kept walking to my plane and breathed a sigh of relief, when I made it ! I never took that "shortcut" again !
What war zone and what type of aircraft?
Old 06-27-2024, 10:43 AM

Default I hate to say ; as it may "date" me. Ha !

The Aircraft was a little 2-Engine Prop Cargo Plane the C-7A De Havilland "Carabou" which was a short take off and landing type. It was actually made in Canada and I think is still used there as it is ideal for the outback and small airfields and it can be outfitted with Ski extensions on the wheels, so it can land and take off on snow ! I was trained on it in the states at Sewart AFB in Tennessee ; so I was familiar with it before I went overseas ! For a small Cargo
aircraft it is relatively neat; although you will have to make many trips to haul a lot of cargo! It is sort like a Mini C-130 ! Ha ! I hesitate to say the war zone; as I don't want to run afoul of our AA restrictions and don't mean to upset any readers as this was long ago, now ! We Didn't even have a Tarmac landing field; as our landing strip was composed of PSP or Perforated Steel Paving ( from WWII ); which are "planks" of steel about 15 feet by three feet as I remember and hooked together like some kind of tinker-toy ! when a plane landed the PSP would roll forward in front of it like some kid scuffing up a rug, which is a weird sight ! Then we would joke with the aircraft controllers that they would have to land the planes next day the other direction, as that would roll the PSP the other way ! Ha ! PSP is used for when you have to put in a landing strip fast; but you don't have time to concrete it or let it dry !

Last edited by Marshal Davout; 06-27-2024 at 10:53 AM..
Old 06-28-2024, 03:04 AM

Quote:
The Aircraft was a little 2-Engine Prop Cargo Plane the C-7A De Havilland "Carabou" which was a short take off and landing type. It was actually made in Canada and I think is still used there as it is ideal for the outback and small airfields and it can be outfitted with Ski extensions on the wheels, so it can land and take off on snow ! I was trained on it in the states at Sewart AFB in Tennessee ; so I was familiar with it before I went overseas ! For a small Cargo
aircraft it is relatively neat; although you will have to make many trips to haul a lot of cargo! It is sort like a Mini C-130 ! Ha ! I hesitate to say the war zone; as I don't want to run afoul of our AA restrictions and don't mean to upset any readers as this was long ago, now ! We Didn't even have a Tarmac landing field; as our landing strip was composed of PSP or Perforated Steel Paving ( from WWII ); which are "planks" of steel about 15 feet by three feet as I remember and hooked together like some kind of tinker-toy ! when a plane landed the PSP would roll forward in front of it like some kid scuffing up a rug, which is a weird sight ! Then we would joke with the aircraft controllers that they would have to land the planes next day the other direction, as that would roll the PSP the other way ! Ha ! PSP is used for when you have to put in a landing strip fast; but you don't have time to concrete it or let it dry !
I think it depends on what you say as far as restrictions. I think they don't want us talking about any "action" where people got killed or wounded or about who was right or wrong or opinions on policy. I was in Vietnam. My primary job was as an avionics mechanic on hueys with a Dustoff unit and I flew along on some missions as what was called a patient protector but we would pick up wounded from both sides.
Old 06-28-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I think it depends on what you say as far as restrictions. I think they don't want us talking about any "action" where people got killed or wounded or about who was right or wrong or opinions on policy. I was in Vietnam. My primary job was as an avionics mechanic on hueys with a Dustoff unit and I flew along on some missions as what was called a patient protector but we would pick up wounded from both sides.
Ah ! So then we are fellow Vietnam war Veterans; as it was Vietnam ! We delivered supplies and people all over; as the Aircraft had the standard "Web" seats just like a C-130 or a C-141 Jet ! And it had "Rollers" on the inside so that Cargo Pallets could be run out the back over the ramp or else dropped by Parachute into difficult to get to areas ! ( I think we could get some three or four regular Pallets of food or other stuff in the interior to offload or drop by the Lodemaster by Parachute ! ). Since I was essentially a Mechanic on the Ground Crew I didn't usually have to go an any flights; as they would have Flight Engineers or Lodemasters to do that ! I have a few stories to relate about the planes as there was some controversy about them in the Pentagon and sort of with me on the base; but I can relate them later ! We would sometimes pick up Civilians and move them around incountry if they needed to. I wouldn't know what mission my plane went on and then I would have to clean up the interior as best I could when it got back that night !

Last edited by Marshal Davout; 06-28-2024 at 12:03 PM..
Old 06-28-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Ah ! So then we are fellow Vietnam war Veterans; as it was Vietnam ! We delivered supplies and people all over; as the Aircraft had the standard "Web" seats just like a C-130 or a C-141 Jet ! And it had "Rollers" on the inside so that Cargo Pallets could be run out the back over the ramp or else dropped by Parachute into difficult to get to areas ! ( I think we could get some three or four regular Pallets of food or other stuff in the interior to offload or drop by the Lodemaster by Parachute ! ). Since I was essentially a Mechanic on the Ground Crew I didn't usually have to go an any flights; as they would have Flight Engineers or Lodemasters to do that ! I have a few stories to relate about the planes as there was some controversy about them in the Pentagon and sort of with me on the base; but I can relate them later ! We would sometimes pick up Civilians and move them around incountry if they needed to. I wouldn't know what mission my plane went on and then I would have to clean up the interior as best I could when it got back that night !
I rode on C-130s (Noisy bastard!) a couple of times between Saigon and Nha Trang. After takeoff the crew would let us lie down back in the tail behind the pallets.
Old 06-29-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I rode on C-130s (Noisy bastard!) a couple of times between Saigon and Nha Trang. After takeoff the crew would let us lie down back in the tail behind the pallets.
The C-130 was awful Noisy ! I think they had fitted it with Turbo-Prop engines which are Noisier than just Props ! I never liked them as the Noise would go right through your Earphones ! If you were working on them a lot you would have to use Earplugs and the Earphones together in order to protect your Ears ! Even a four engine jet like the C-141 wasn't that noisy ! When I was out-processing out of the AF they tested my ears to see if I had lost any hearing in the four years and I think they said I had reduced hearing in certain ranges; but I never got anything for it !
Old 06-30-2024, 12:13 AM

Quote:
The C-130 was awful Noisy ! I think they had fitted it with Turbo-Prop engines which are Noisier than just Props ! I never liked them as the Noise would go right through your Earphones ! If you were working on them a lot you would have to use Earplugs and the Earphones together in order to protect your Ears ! Even a four engine jet like the C-141 wasn't that noisy ! When I was out-processing out of the AF they tested my ears to see if I had lost any hearing in the four years and I think they said I had reduced hearing in certain ranges; but I never got anything for it !
I had been around helicopters and tanks in my time in the service and took an exit physical and they noted a loss of hearing. I didn't ask for any compensation, but I should've. It didn't bother me that much over the years except when I'm in a noisy environment like a restaurant or a bus, it makes it tough to hear clearly what other people are saying.
Old 06-30-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I had been around helicopters and tanks in my time in the service and took an exit physical and they noted a loss of hearing. I didn't ask for any compensation, but I should've. It didn't bother me that much over the years except when I'm in a noisy environment like a restaurant or a bus, it makes it tough to hear clearly what other people are saying.
They have the new PACT act I think it is which is supposed to qualify Viet Vets for a lot of things; as you are presumed to have come in contact with the agent orange at some time; if you were "boots on the ground" there; but I don't know whether that would apply to hearing ? I may put in for it for something else; but haven't got started on anything yet !