Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:20 PM

ajaccio corsica is on a distinguished road
Talking

hi
corsicans are linked to central and south america mostly, venezuela, mexico, puerto rico etc..
it would be more interesting for her to organize a concert there, she already got a big audience in those countries
I think most of her fans in america are hispanic
a lingua inglese un hè micca quella di e zitelle di u borgu"
cheers
Old 12-11-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm not 20.

Zack -Alizee Lover- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindReaver View Post
Well, she did get married here.. okay okay.. in Vegas, so I guess that doesn't count.
Remember that marriage wasn't legal [or at least not in France].

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaccio corsica View Post
hi
corsicans are linked to central and south america mostly, venezuela, mexico, puerto rico etc..
it would be more interesting for her to organize a concert there, she already got a big audience in those countries
I think most of her fans in america are hispanic
cheers
All i could understand was
"idioma ingles" or at least i know what a lingua inglese means...
Old 12-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Alizée is a superstar who doesn't aspire to superstardom. Various points about the US would seem to keep her away from serious attempts to break in.

-The American press and American public are voracious consumers of personal information, which she doesn't much like sharing. Coming over here would be a great way to have every shred of privacy annihilated.

-She likes just making music, for music's sake. Starting as a relative unknown here, I don't know if she could find a label that would be willing to keeps its hands off her and let her retain control, while trying something as delicate as joining our market. That's a boardroom waiting to happen.

-Americans tend to be language bigots, for lack of a better term. While obviously most members of this board are an exception, there are a significant number of people in this country who think anything not in English is trash. In Europe, you can go to France, and watch a German TV program where Italian fans are cheering for a Spanish performer, and it's relatively normal. Here, you get protests demanding "you're in my country, you should speak my language!"

-Also, she doesn't like globe-hopping tours. Remember that her last tour, though it went all over France, would have fit completely within the state of Texas here in the US. For a relative homebody, promotions on the scale of the US are pretty darn massive, even just in terms of appearances. She can just about fly from Ajaccio to Paris in the time it takes me to get home from work.

I certainly hope she'll come visit us and do a show or two, and I would love it beyond words if she were to actively try and enter the US market. I just don't think we should expect much more than a visit. I don't think she would be happy :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaccio corsica View Post

Errr... Going by Italian, I'd have to guess that says something like "The English language is a point of contention amongst the old women of the village." Being as that doesn't seem to fit, I'll go ahead and ask what it means? :-P

Last edited by Cooney; 12-11-2007 at 07:55 PM..
Old 12-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Alizée's FireFighter

Youpidou1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
Alizée is a superstar who doesn't aspire to superstardom. Various points about the US would seem to keep her away from serious attempts to break in.

-The American press and American public are voracious consumers of personal information, which she doesn't much like sharing. Coming over here would be a great way to have every shred of privacy annihilated.

-She likes just making music, for music's sake. Starting as a relative unknown here, I don't know if she could find a label that would be willing to keeps its hands off her and let her retain control, while trying something as delicate as joining our market. That's a boardroom waiting to happen.

-Americans tend to be language bigots, for lack of a better term. While obviously most members of this board are an exception, there are a significant number of people in this country who think anything not in English is trash. In Europe, you can go to France, and watch a German TV program where Italian fans are cheering for a Spanish performer, and it's relatively normal. Here, you get protests demanding "you're in my country, you should speak my language!"

-Also, she doesn't like globe-hopping tours. Remember that her last tour, though it went all over France, would have fit completely within the state of Texas here in the US. For a relative homebody, promotions on the scale of the US are pretty darn massive, even just in terms of appearances. She can just about fly from Ajaccio to Paris in the time it takes me to get home from work.

I certainly hope she'll come visit us and do a show or two, and I would love it beyond words if she were to actively try and enter the US market. I just don't think we should expect much more than a visit. I don't think she would be happy :-/
Anyone who doesn't like a language doesn't have to like that certain artist. They can just ignore it. They need to learn to ignore it. There is many people in this country that like foreign artist. So the government shouldn't step in because of what we the citizens and civilians want. If we want Alizée to come here no-body should even think of suing her because of a tattoo, people shouldn't talk about bad stuff about other languages including the French. She said she would do a concert here, so we need to show her we care and get more fans and then try and get a concert here. Then she will see we all love her in America.

All you need is 1 Truck.

Last edited by Youpidou1; 12-11-2007 at 08:11 PM..
Old 12-11-2007, 08:09 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFan View Post
I think we can all agree....
I don't agree.

I want to agree.....I would like to think our exuberance on these boards is but a small drop in the ocean of American Alizée fans....but there is nothing I can objectively latch on to that supports that agreement.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Cooney: LOL yeah, hard as we've worked to try to learn French, and that guy hits us with Corsu and we're stumped.

It's close to Italian. It's even closer to Latin, but not close enough that I can make it out. Oh, well.

One possible reason why Mylène didn't want Alizée to hit the American market (and why she herself has never done so) may come from the fact that she's Canadian. A lot of Canadians resent their neighbor to the south. It's been said that Canadians aren't patriotic in the sense of being proud to be Canadian, only in the sense of being proud not to be Americans. Now that Alizée is on her own, she may change that. I'm still hoping for a U.S. release of her albums, which might generate enough interest to justify a tour down the road.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Member

WindReaver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alizée is a superstar who doesn't aspire to superstardom.
I agree. She does not seem to desire going that far with her career. I think she likes sleeping in her own bed at night when possible.

Quote:
Not necessarily. As I have said in another post, there are a great many singers and actors that keep themselves out of the tabloids. If you are not doing anything "newsworthy" to these people they will leave you alone. When Alizée is promoting an album she will be in the news because she wants to be there. But during her downtime she is not going to out and get drunk in public and end up in the tabloids.

Quote:
No need. She is already signed with RCA/SonyBMG and they are a global company.

Quote:
Grr.. I actually thought this today at work. It is VERY annoying when instructions or labels are written in Spanish in an English speaking country. And this was on an official company paper. Thankfully I do not normally work at that location, I'm just filling in there for someone.

This *IS* a big pet peeve for most Americans for one simple reason: When we travel to their country we are expected to use their language, but they get pissed off when we want them to speak English while they are here.

I don't know why this seems to only be a problem for Spanish speakers. Stereotyping be damned, but it is true from what I have seen. I work with one guy that moved here from Puerto Rico over 20 years ago and still can barely speak English. Another guy learned English when he moved here from France and can speak it better than me.

Ok, done ranting. That one just hit be at a bad time.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Paris féerique

Toc De Mac is on a distinguished road

I know that I'm going off-topic, but eh...

On the subject of Mylène, I discovered one of her fans at a little Christmas party that my French tutor was hosting. He began to speak about a French singer that he very much enjoyed, and the first ladies that came to mind were Mylène and Alizée. Sure enough, it was Mylène (he went on to talk about the beauty of her songs, but the somewhat provocative nature of her videos), and I ended up mentioning Alizée, whom he also knew and had apparently heard some of her songs.

Quite a night!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youpidou1 View Post
Anyone who doesn't like a language doesn't have to like that certain artist. They can just ignore it. They need to learn to ignore it. There is many people in this country that like foreign artist. So the government shouldn't step in because of what we the citizens and civilians want. If we want Alizée to come here no-body should even think of suing her because of a tattoo, people shouldn't talk about bad stuff about other languages including the French. She said she would do a concert here, so we need to show her we care and get more fans and then try and get a concert here. Then she will see we all love her in America.
The company would have no basis to sue her over the Tinkerbell tattoo unless she used it for specific commercial purposes. Thosuands of people in this country have tattoos of trademarked characters, including Disney ones, and nobody has ever been sued for it. Even if the company did try to go after her, which they wouldn't, it's unlikely they would succeed.

I agree about the language thing - it would be nice if people could open their minds at least enough to not care if other people enjoy something. Sadly, many people can't make that step. I do indeed hope she comes to see us :-)
Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Member

WindReaver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The company would have no basis to sue her over the Tinkerbell tattoo unless she used it for specific commercial purposes. Thosuands of people in this country have tattoos of trademarked characters, including Disney ones, and nobody has ever been sued for it. Even if the company did try to go after her, which they wouldn't, it's unlikely they would succeed.
Right. They would also sue her regardless of whether she is in France or the USA as Disney is in both places. The laws are probably similar in both places as far as copyright is concerned. If they have not sued her yet, then it is doubtful that they will.
Closed Thread