Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Is it wrong to kill bugs?
Yes 4 19.05%
No 17 80.95%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
Perhaps this wasn't made clear, but incests aren't the only pests. You have some birds, some mammals and other various creatures. ( it was mice that contaminated the water and caused the black plague) Yet the pattern seems to be the more close their relation is to human up the chain the less they are exterminated like incests. Incests also are by far not the most dangerous animals when it comes to carrying diseases, mice, raccoons pigeons and even humans are dangerous and carry diseases but yet we don't kill infected humans do we? Also other animals such as dangerous and fierce animals in the wild like bears are also protected by various animal organizations. It just makes little sense to me to kill an ant or a fly who is doing nothing you to you just because you can! You are killing a living thing that can feel pain or experience fear. In terms of it just being a little bug that will have little to no impact on the world ok............. lets kill that little kitten too then, it also wont have a huge impact on the world either!
hahaha, i think you mean insects.. not incest.

and as i mentioned on my first post, any pest deemed to be a threat is delt with.

even our lovable dogs are put down if they are deemed too aggressive, or are infected with rabies and the like.

and the way you put it makes it sound like im going out of my way to kill insects, like im running around outside, finding bugs that aren't doing anything to me, and then going and killing them.

which is not it.

as for humans, we can't kill off infected humans my friend, that would be murder. and once again.. you can't equate a human life to that of an insect.

would you say that your mother's life is equal to the life of a dung beetle?

Old 07-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
whoops sorry im tired

Quote:

and as i mentioned on my first post, any pest deemed to be a threat is delt with.

even our lovable dogs are put down if they are deemed too aggressive, or are infected with rabies and the like.

and the way you put it makes it sound like im going out of my way to kill insects, like im running around outside, finding bugs that aren't doing anything to me, and then going and killing them.

which is not it.

as for humans, we can't kill off infected humans my friend, that would be murder. and once again.. you can't equate a human life to that of an insect.

would you say that your mother's life is equal to the life of a dung beetle?
People do go out of their way to kill them, if they aren't bothering you then you are going out of your way!
Yes my moms life is equal to the life of a dung beetle, they are both living things and who are you to put a value on life?

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 07-19-2009 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-19-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
whoops sorry im tired

Yes my moms life is equal to the life of a dung beetle, they are both living things and who are you to put a value on life?
so... you're telling me that you wouldn't be able to kill a dung beetle in order to save your moms life?

and im not putting a value on life.

all life is precious, yes. but certian individuals are more important than others.
why else is the President always guarded, but not that one guy drinking coffee at starbucks?

if the President dies, the impact of his death is much greater than that of the an average joe. while both would be tragic, the importance of them are different.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
so... you're telling me that you wouldn't be able to kill a dung beetle in order to save your moms life?
If the scenario was the beetle was confirmed dangerous/ poisonous and coming for my mom then sure I would kill it in the line of difference.Thats not the topic though, the topic is "bugs that cause you no harm" so therefore your point is irrelevant.
"I want you to really think about this, is it logical and morally right to kill bugs and insects that cause no harm to you?"

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz View Post
That's just daft, why wouldn't an insect feel pain and be able to learn something?
Because their central nervous system isn't connected to their brains? They can sense things, but only respond in reflex.

I think it's perfectly natural to become less hesitant about killing something the further removed it is from us. There's no objective right or wrong, only our subjective point of view. And the invertebrate line is a big one to cross because of the reason above.

I mean, millions of microorganisms are destroyed every time you take a step, yet no one even really thinks about that. It's practically impossible to exist without killing something, insects just happen to be the smallest we can see.

I don't go out of my way to harm them outside or in places I can't see. But if they're in my home... well just think about how you'd treat a human intruder. Not kill them, but well you can't exactly reason with or call the cops on a bug!
Old 07-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Im a 100% Sone

Srbski-kralj is on a distinguished road

i agree with ur point of view Ben, when you for example wash your hands you are killing millions of microscopic organisms, and ect.... Fot bug and such as that if they are in my personal area yes I would kill them. Same with if there is an intruder in my home or something like that, killing probably not, but unless he threatens my life or the lives of my family then yes I would hurt him, (try not to kill him) but if he pulls a gun on me and starts shooting at me or pulls a knife on me and trys to kill me, then yes i will kill him in self-defense. But on the subject og killing bugs i dont go out of my way to kill them if they are not bothering me.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
If the scenario was the beetle was confirmed dangerous/ poisonous and coming for my mom then sure I would kill it in the line of difference.Thats not the topic though, the topic is "bugs that cause you no harm" so therefore your point is irrelevant.
"I want you to really think about this, is it logical and morally right to kill bugs and insects that cause no harm to you?"
i didn't say that the beetle was dangerous or coming for your mom!
(how would a beetle even hurt a person anyways? )

i was just trying to show how odd it was that you feel that your moms life is equal to the life of a mindless bug.

and define harm. termites eating away at my house are simply eating to survive, but it harms me economically. do i have the right to get rid of them?

or a mosquito sucking my blood is also just doing its thing to survive, but it can give me malaria, west nile, and a whole host of other things. it might not, thus causing "no harm" but would you chance it just because you think a mosquito's life is equal to that of a humans?

and let me ask you one.. personally question;
if this is how you truly feel.. how can you justify your longing to be a fighter pilot? as a pilot in modern combat, dog fights are quite rare, and most of your missions will be bombing runs against infantry units(to help out ground pounders like me! ). not all of which are armed with anything more than AKs(Sure, others will have anti-air weapons, but not all).

bombing from thousands of feet in the air, those enemy combatants are of no threat to you.

would you still bomb them?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbski-kralj View Post
i agree with ur point of view Ben, when you for example wash your hands you are killing millions of microscopic organisms, and ect.... Fot bug and such as that if they are in my personal area yes I would kill them. Same with if there is an intruder in my home or something like that, killing probably not, but unless he threatens my life or the lives of my family then yes I would hurt him, (try not to kill him) but if he pulls a gun on me and starts shooting at me or pulls a knife on me and trys to kill me, then yes i will kill him in self-defense. But on the subject og killing bugs i dont go out of my way to kill them if they are not bothering me.
Also any insect in the home's a potential health hazard. Though sometimes it's beneficial to leave certain ones alone, like spiders, since they'll eat other bugs!

About how far something is removed from us, I wanted to add that it applies even within our own species. For example I think it's perfectly right to value the life of a family member over that of a stranger. In fact I'd call that the primary responsibility of a parent for their child. So at what point does killing become ok? I don't know, but it's all a matter of perspective. My primary responsibility is to those closest to me: my family, then my friends, then other humans, etc. And insects are a pretty long way down that ladder!
Old 07-19-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Also any insect in the home's a potential health hazard. Though sometimes it's beneficial to leave certain ones alone, like spiders, since they'll eat other bugs!
anything with more than 4 legs freak the hell outta me.

if some guy ever came to me to treat his tarantula.. ohmygod, i wouldn't know what to do.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Im a 100% Sone

Srbski-kralj is on a distinguished road

Hahah yeha spiders frak me out but still i would kill them, like Ben pointed out they kil and eat other bugs. Small ones Ill probably take him and put him outside. But big ones omg idk waht i would do . I can handle small spiders, if I see a big spider on man Im petrified.