Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

View Poll Results: Why did her new album fail?
Her clothing 0 0%
Deviation from mainstream pop 4 7.69%
Her long absense 1 1.92%
lack of sexiness 1 1.92%
lack of dance 2 3.85%
ineptitude of the record company 2 3.85%
Bad or lack of TV performances 0 0%
Bad producers 1 1.92%
Marriage 1 1.92%
Overall quality of album (I am sure no one is gonna vote for this) 3 5.77%
Bad single choice and music video 3 5.77%
Bad lyrics 1 1.92%
Separaation fro LB and MF 14 26.92%
Loss of her previous images 8 15.38%
Bad reviews 0 0%
Alizee's lack of experience (probably not true. I am sure no one is gonna vote for this either 0 0%
No international album 1 1.92%
Her overal looks 1 1.92%
Bad interviews 0 0%
....other 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2008, 02:00 AM
star traveller

-MihaiL- is on a distinguished road

She became more intelligent, more interesting as a personality, but I don't like the music and the hair.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:05 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Ok lets be realistic: the album sales are definitely a disappointment, no two ways about it. But yes, saying it "failed" is a bit excessive. It's already a disque d'argent and I believe will continue to slow burn it's way to disque d'or. However I do not believe like others that some magical single and/or push in promotion is going to suddenly boost sales. Get used to how things are, because they're set to continue.

However, I do actually kind of agree with one or two of your points. For instance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
Quote:
Her songs lack connection to her previous two albums and what defines Alizee.
Of course they do. She's trying to redefine herself. Lack of connection to a previous definition is de rigeur.
True, but I think Alizée does need to consider her image more. I almost see it on the album, but in interviews and appearances... no. "Being yourself" is rarely sufficient for most artists. She needs to look at herself and decide how to create a universe from that. Of course it will be different than the old, but the problem right now is that the new is still unclear.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:28 AM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanARG View Post
To put this in perspective Psychédélices, a rapid comparison with his contemporary Jenifer Bartoli (Lunatique) and Lorie (2 Lor En Moi ? )
is necessary:

Charts in France and Sales numbers - Ifop :

Jenifer

04/11 - 10/11 1 32400 ex.
11/11 - 17/11 3 16110 ex.
18/11 - 24/11 7 10870 ex.
25/11 - 01/12 9 10478 ex.
02/12 - 08/12 12 12740 ex. Gold Disc +75000.
09/12 - 15/12 15 17449 ex.
16/12 - 22/12 11 27650 ex.
23/12 - 29/12 16 13928 ex.

Totally : 141.620 ex. 8 Weeks.

Lorie

25/11 - 01/12 7 12000 ex.
02/12 - 08/12 7 15400 ex.
09/12 - 15/12 16
16/12 - 22/12 23
23/12 - 29/12 30

Alizeé

02/12 - 08/12 16 11292 ex.
09/12 - 15/12 33 7701 ex.
16/12 - 22/12 52 7360 ex.
23/12 - 29/12 65 3649 ex.

Totally : 29.822 ex. 4 Weeks.
Hmmm, interesting... The problem I see with this is that Jenifer and Lorie have not been out of public eyes/ears for 4-years. They've had all this time to grow a continuing fan base. There's a lot to be said with "out of sight, out of mind."

Lili came back with something new that some older fans did not come to expect. They've been listening to Gourmandises and MCE for all this time and was expecting the same thing as if the years in between had never occured. That they would see the same Alizée that they've been following on You Tube and the likes. I've said this before, upon hearing Psychédélices all the way through for the first time I was indifferent to some songs and thought that the music was all over the place -- poppy, hip-hop, ballads. As it stands now, all 11 songs have grown on me.

Given the options listed, I'd probably go with the not following mainstream pop. Then the other variable could be any MF/LB fans lost due to the split. Besides, she did say she is doing what she wants. And success is really up to ones definition on what that might be. For all we know, this album has already been a success personally for Lili. Who can really say what the future may bring. At any rate, Lili is back and I'm enjoying this album as I've enjoyed her previous ones.

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...
Old 01-05-2008, 02:30 AM

mibir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
It failed? Under whose standards? I was under the impression that it made me happy, therefore it did not fail. Is that not what artists do? Bring happiness to their fans?
I agree with solaris. Album makes me happy so I can't ever agree that it failed. The album sales are low, there's no way around it but regardless, I love the album and have faith things will be quite alright.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:39 AM

RadioactiveMan is on a distinguished road

The only album sale I care about is the one I bought. We should be examining the quality of the album to measure its success, not high or low sales. Counting sales is for people in the music business, not us. Bandwagon fans make less sense in music than in sports.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:20 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
Ok lets be realistic: the album sales are definitely a disappointment, no two ways about it. But yes, saying it "failed" is a bit excessive.
Quote:
True, but I think Alizée does need to consider her image more. I almost see it on the album, but in interviews and appearances... no. "Being yourself" is rarely sufficient for most artists. She needs to look at herself and decide how to create a universe from that. Of course it will be different than the old, but the problem right now is that the new is still unclear.
I agree. Essentially every performance in her early years was focused on her, and what she does best:
1. Move
2. Relate to the audiance
Her ability to move and sing was part of her charm. Also, she always tried to connect with the audiance.

It's almost as though she is saying "I'm not that anymore." However, we haven't really gotten a chance to see who she "is" yet. MJ is a good song, but she can't (or at least hasn't) used it to play with the audience the way she could with ML, and G.

It was too early to do duos and large stage performances. She needs to get out there and really connect again, every time she gets on stage (It's as though she has forgotten that every preformance is a seduction). Then, once she has them, she can play a bit, but not before.

She may have thought she could pick up where she left off. She can't. Four years has gone by, people have moved on, and on top of it she has changed her style. She needs to start over; build a rapport with her audiance.

When she was young, she had to go for it in every performance. This was part of her charm. I think she is playing it safe. She needs to stop playing it safe and go out and knock their socks off.

Hopefully she will when she releases the next single.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:54 AM

ShoboRo is on a distinguished road

dude i cant even imagine how u can compare alizee with those two.. she is a lot better then them even if she doesnt have as many albums sold ...it makes to difference...especially that priscilla she is awfull...watch her interview on JT de la musique on the 2nd of this month

Last edited by ShoboRo; 01-05-2008 at 04:01 AM..
Old 01-05-2008, 04:40 AM

Mikey51 is on a distinguished road

Aside from MJ, all of her songs seem kind of dry and lacking depth. Maybe it's just me, but I think Mylene and Laurent were a crucial component of her music's well being. They also helped her develop a good image like mentioned previously.

Either way the album is fine, and definately not a failure. I much prefer her first 2 though.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:50 AM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

I've said it before, I'll say it again: applying American concepts of album sales numbers to French albums doesn't work. Things go slower there.

The top selling French album for the entire first half of the year, that's 6 months, sold a total of 581,749 copies - fewer than some new releases in the US sell in their first week. The top female artist in that same period sold less than half that, at 222,469. True, Lorie and Jenifer have sold more than Alizée this go around, but both their albums are well on their way to being in the top 10 for the year, and are coming from artists who have been recently active, with an established and loyal following.

Psychédélices may not be racking up the huge immediate sales numbers we'd love to see, but I'd actually say it's doing respectably given the circumstances - returning from out nothingness and with a new style and a changed fanbase. It's well on its way to Silver certification (40,000), and I imagine will make its way to gold over time (75,000) with the continuing singles, publicity, and other such stuff.

While I know it's in vogue to be pessimistic around here, I have to say I'm pleased by what we've had so far.

Last edited by Cooney; 01-05-2008 at 04:53 AM..
Old 01-05-2008, 04:52 AM

Mikey51 is on a distinguished road

Me too.

Also after thinking about it... if it weren't for so much music piracy I bet sales would be even better.

It's hard to find people that actually buy albums and don't just download them.