Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 04-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theit77 View Post
I don't quite agree deepwaters. The feeling I get is that Mylene did a lot for Alizée - probably almost everything for her in the beginning (her 2001 'career'). I think that might be why its taken so long for the new album, Alizée has had to work through making an entirely new album all by herself.
First, she's not doing it all by herself, and second, there's a simpler explanation that's about to turn age 2. You CANNOT be a full-time recording artist AND a responsible mother at the same time. Obviously, and to her credit, Alizée chose to be a responsible mother. At this point, I'd bet good money at long odds that she's only a part-time recording artist, and THAT'S why it's taking so long. We know that Jérémy is working with her, and I've heard a few other names as well although I can't recall them at the moment. So she's not having to do it all, any more than in the old days.

I'm not saying Mylène didn't do a lot for Alizée, along with Laurent of course, obviously they did; all I'm saying is that I think Alizée has a stronger will than some of us give her credit for. I don't think Mylène ever dictated to her what she had to do musically. I've heard about the way the lyrics for her songs were created; Alizée would hear Laurent's compositions, discuss with Mylène what the music meant to her and what she wanted to say in singing it, and Mylène would write the lyrics. Moi Lolita may be an exception to that, as the first song, but probably not many others. I've been listening to some of Mylène's own music recently and the style is very much her own, not very reminiscent of Alizée at all (or I should say vice-versa, since Mylène came first). And if Mylène couldn't dictate Alizée's performing style when Alizée was a teenager, I don't see how anyone could possibly do it now.

Quote:
I think she's probably been through a lot in making the new album, but she'll be proud that it's her own work, and of course, the music will be phenomenal.
I agree that it will be phenomenal. I think it will show a side of her that was only hinted at in the past. I am just convinced that it will be Alizée calling the shots for it, not Jérémy.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716

Last edited by Deepwaters; 04-17-2007 at 10:35 PM..
Old 04-17-2007, 10:49 PM
You ain't seen nothin yet

Joey_adore_Jung is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
First, she's not doing it all by herself, and second, there's a simpler explanation that's about to turn age 2. You CANNOT be a full-time recording artist AND a responsible mother at the same time. Obviously, and to her credit, Alizée chose to be a responsible mother. At this point, I'd bet good money at long odds that she's only a part-time recording artist, and THAT'S why it's taking so long. We know that Jérémy is working with her, and I've heard a few other names as well although I can't recall them at the moment. So she's not having to do it all, any more than in the old days.

I'm not saying Mylène didn't do a lot for Alizée, along with Laurent of course, obviously they did; all I'm saying is that I think Alizée has a stronger will than some of us give her credit for. I don't think Mylène ever dictated to her what she had to do musically. I've heard about the way the lyrics for her songs were created; Alizée would hear Laurent's compositions, discuss with Mylène what the music meant to her and what she wanted to say in singing it, and Mylène would write the lyrics. Moi Lolita may be an exception to that, as the first song, but probably not many others. I've been listening to some of Mylène's own music recently and the style is very much her own, not very reminiscent of Alizée at all (or I should say vice-versa, since Mylène came first). And if Mylène couldn't dictate Alizée's performing style when Alizée was a teenager, I don't see how anyone could possibly do it now.

I agree that it will be phenomenal. I think it will show a side of her that was only hinted at in the past. I am just convinced that it will be Alizée calling the shots for it, not Jérémy.
it will be phenomanal and we all are looking forward to it and it has always been her choice just sometimes people look to other people for help but all in all it is and always shall be Alizee choice
Old 04-18-2007, 01:18 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
I think I will miss LB’s music the most. I also got to like the guys in the band from her MCE era and I will miss them too. I think Alizée’s return will be partly influenced by the fact she is a wife and mother now. She was cute and sexy, but she never went over the edge with it. I can’t see her heading more in that direction. I think Alizée will still be beautiful and naturally sexy, but I don’t expect her to flaunt it. She’s not a teenager anymore. I just hope the new music is good and does her justice.
Yes, couldn't say it better. Of course, flaunting it is what brought me into the fold in the first place. Mais, c'est la vie.
Quote:
...Obviously, and to her credit, Alizée chose to be a responsible mother...
Yes, admirable, and I am quite glad to have never seen anything scandelous about Alizée. Put aside anything I want from her if necessary for her to live a good life. As I see it, she seems to be living a great and commendable life in the sense that we should all be so lucky (if you get my sense of luck).
Quote:
...Alizée has a stronger will than some of us give her credit for...
Oh, yeah. She is often soft spoken, but make no mistake. I don't know how much her parents did to create/support her becoming a performer, but she did the work herself. She persued it and won her rewards. She decides to do what she does, oh yes.
Quote:
...listening to some of Mylène's own music recently and the style is very much her own...
Yes. I totally agree. After falling in love with Alizée, I had to take some time to check out Mylène (and Laurent's music). It is quite different. The music is different. There may have been much of them in Alizée's career, but if so, they chose to represent a different side of themselves it seems.
Well, we can't deny Mylène's great song writing in Alizée's songs, yes, but then I still wonder about songs like LUI ou TOI. Where did that come from? Well, from what I've heard Ali say, the songs were created by the three of them together. So, there you go. It was a team that was unique as a unit. It is what we love. I just hope I can come to love whatever she does next. I do have a clue, though. Alizée did performances of other people's songs: 'Il jouait du piano debout', 'Ella ella l'a', 'La Isla Bonita', 'L'important c'est d'aimer' and I love all of those performances. Why should I doubt?
By the way, I was actually looking for news. Have you all seen this http://tinkalizee.free.fr/newuk.htm? See http://www.mf-international.com/view...=109741#109741 for comments. If that doesn't get your attention, what will!? Can we get a Spanish speaker to post a translation?

Merci Fanny
Old 04-18-2007, 04:37 AM
Iron and Silk

atra201 is on a distinguished road

i expect Alizee herself

"Such a shame to believe in escape
A life on every face
And that's a change, till I'm finally left with an eight
Tell me to react, I just stare
Maybe I don't know if I should change
A feeling that we share...
It's a shame
(Such a shame)
Number me with rage, it's a shame
(Such a shame)
Number me in haste, it's a shame
This eagerness to change
It's a shame..."
Old 04-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
By the way, I was actually looking for news. Have you all seen this http://tinkalizee.free.fr/newuk.htm?
Oh, did you follow the link to the recent pics of Alizée and Anny-Lee? What an adorable little girl!

And -- I had a feeling Alizée had grown her hair out more (don't ask why). The ponytail confirms it, looks like.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:14 PM

MiamMiam is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Well to be honest, that is all speculation, no one really knows what went on in terms of production, for all we know Mylene could have told Alizee exactly what to say during her interviews when asked about their working relationship. I have a feeling that Mylene basically held Alizee's hand through everything, at least at the beginning. True Alizee said she helped when it came to what the songs were about and such, but don't forget it was Laurent's music and Mylene's lyrics that made the songs...Alizee was the performer.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamMiam View Post
I have a feeling that Mylene basically held Alizee's hand through everything, at least at the beginning.
I'm sure that's true, in the beginning. As I said, Moi Lolita may be an exception. But I've gotten a feel for Mylène's style lately, and I like it a lot but it isn't Alizée's style. Yet doesn't Laurent write Mylène's music? So we have the same composer/lyricist team producing music that, while showing marks of the same talent, produce an entirely different feel. People talk about the sexual undercurrents in Mylène's lyrics, but that's only a small part of it. There are LOTS of undercurrents, usually dark ones, things that challenge the listener on a level of visceral or moral repulsion. Have you seen that long video of hers (I forget the name) that looks like it's set in a Polish ghetto under Nazi occupation? Creepy! Awesome music, though, and Mylène delivers a hell of a performance.

Alizée's songs could almost be written by completely different people. I know Laurent and Mylène DID write them, but they are so different from Mylène's own that it's clear to me there's a different influence at work. And I can't think where that influence would have come from if it wasn't Alizée herself.

Quote:
True Alizee said she helped when it came to what the songs were about and such, but don't forget it was Laurent's music and Mylene's lyrics that made the songs...Alizee was the performer.
I'm well aware who wrote the songs. I'm just saying -- well I'm saying a couple of things. First that I sense the songs were written largely to Alizée's own direction (again except for Moi Lolita). More so in MCE than in Gourmandises, probably. And second that I wouldn't want to be the one to try to push Alizée around or make her do something she didn't want to do. My feeling is that wouldn't pay off well.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I've wondered just how big Alizée’s contribution to the songwriting was. When I was in a band, if someone contributed a fairly detailed idea for a song, we would give them co-authorship on the copyright along with whoever finalized the lyrics and music. Maybe we were being generous, but I think we were just being fair. Either Alizée’s contribution to the process was not significant enough, or they just chose not to give her credit.

I think her involvement and desire in general to control the situation increased in the MCE era and may have culminated in Alizée and MF/LB going their separate ways.

This discussion also reminds me of this thread:

http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=1404
Old 04-19-2007, 12:00 AM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

If Alizée really had as much involvement in writing the songs as she said she did (in interviews), she would have had writing credits.

More than likely, that was just a line she was told to say to give her more credibility.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Greg View Post
If Alizée really had as much involvement in writing the songs as she said she did (in interviews), she would have had writing credits.
Two posters have assumed that. Is it a reasonable assumption in terms of European conventions? Especially given that 1) she was a minor through most of this time, and 2) her name was plastered all over the albums, and how much more credit can one have than that?