Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
FOR[e]VER 9

Joonhyuk is on a distinguished road

i hope satriani's going to win the lawsuit, hes my favorite artist and hes done way more for music than those coldplay people anyway.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
The Snowboarder

SimonH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz View Post
If I could fly came 2004 J'en Ai Marre in 2003. Cantplay probably stole music from both and made viva la vida.
My statement still holds true. He is before both of them... Coldplay didn't steal from anyone to be honest... there is this one band from 1973 that has similar sounding song too. To bad I can't put a name to it atm.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:13 AM
l´ordre d'Alizée

Tiwaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
My statement still holds true. He is before both of them... Coldplay didn't steal from anyone to be honest... there is this one band from 1973 that has similar sounding song too. To bad I can't put a name to it atm.
Before with what, playing music? What does that have to do with anything? JEAM - 2003, If I could fly - 2004, Viva la vida - 2008, That's the only thing that counts. And you know coldplay didn't steal or it's just your opinion? Cat Steven's song (if that's the one you mean) is way more vague in resmeblance then Alizée or Satriani.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iSwsEiFoRtE&hl=sv&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iSwsEiFoRtE&hl=sv&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<3
Old 05-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Before with what, playing music? What does that have to do with anything? JEAM - 2003, If I could fly - 2004, Viva la vida - 2008, That's the only thing that counts. And you know coldplay didn't steal or it's just your opinion? Cat Steven's song (if that's the one you mean) is way more vague in resmeblance then Alizée or Satriani.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iSwsEiFoRtE&hl=sv&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iSwsEiFoRtE&hl=sv&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

damn! that makes them sound so much more alike.

but i have to say, the songs themself are different, but the beat? rhythm? i dunno the technical musical term for it, but that beat/rhythm/whatever is very simliar in both songs.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

This has all been hashed out before, but in a nutshell, JEAM and Viva La Vida basically use the same chord progression, I – VI – IV – V. This is a very common progression used in pop music over the years and there must be literally hundreds of songs that use it. In the case of these two songs, the pattern starts in a different place than usual: IV – V – I – VI. If I Could Fly has a slightly different progression but is similar.

JEAM is actually slower in tempo than Viva La Vida, but they both have similar string parts in the beginning and they are in the same key. That’s what people hear as sounding the same.

If I Could Fly is in a different key, but the lead guitar (in what I will call the chorus), follows the vocal melody of Viva La Vida very closely, hence the reason people think that these two songs sound the same.

Notice nobody is comparing JEAM with If I Could Fly. If you take the melody from If I Could Fly, drop it onto JEAM and speed it up, you sort of end up with something that sounds like Viva La Vida...

Personally, I don’t know that anyone will be able to make a case in a court of law that anyone plagiarized anyone else in this matter, especially since the chord progression these songs are built on is already so widely used.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:09 PM
The Snowboarder

SimonH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes Cat Stevens. I don't think Alizee song sounds like Coldplay's at all. As to why I said Coldplay didn't steal the song.

1.) I doubt they ever heard of Alizee so how could they steal it on purpose.
2.) There are many other bands/groups with similar sound it lead me to believe its just a coincidence.

Joe Satrani & Cold Play's songs have the most resemblance musically speaking.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
This has all been hashed out before, but in a nutshell, JEAM and Viva La Vida basically use the same chord progression, I – VI – IV – V. This is a very common progression used in pop music over the years and there must be literally hundreds of songs that use it. In the case of these two songs, the pattern starts in a different place than usual: IV – V – I – VI. If I Could Fly has a slightly different progression but is similar.

JEAM is actually slower in tempo than Viva La Vida, but they both have similar string parts in the beginning and they are in the same key. That’s what people hear as sounding the same.

If I Could Fly is in a different key, but the lead guitar (in what I will call the chorus), follows the vocal melody of Viva La Vida very closely, hence the reason people think that these two songs sound the same.

Notice nobody is comparing JEAM with If I Could Fly. If you take the melody from If I Could Fly, drop it onto JEAM and speed it up, you sort of end up with something that sounds like Viva La Vida...

Personally, I don’t know that anyone will be able to make a case in a court of law that anyone plagiarized anyone else in this matter, especially since the chord progression these songs are built on is already so widely used.
yeah, chord progression is what i was trying to get to, thanks!

youd think after playing violin for 8 years id know a thing or two about music right?

Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 AM
l´ordre d'Alizée

Tiwaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
Yes Cat Stevens. I don't think Alizee song sounds like Coldplay's at all. As to why I said Coldplay didn't steal the song.

1.) I doubt they ever heard of Alizee so how could they steal it on purpose.
2.) There are many other bands/groups with similar sound it lead me to believe its just a coincidence.

Joe Satrani & Cold Play's songs have the most resemblance musically speaking.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
1. And again you just assume things. Alizée had big success all over Europe including England and JEAM is probably in top 2 of here most known songs (and the first one to show up when you type Alizée in youtube and have nearly 12mil views), her dance is even in World of warcraft. That doesn't have to mean anything but it increases the likeliness that they, one way or another, could have heard J'en ai marre.
2. Feel free to give some examples.

<3