Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 07-27-2021, 07:04 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroKenSkullDG View Post
I would not say, she comes across as overprivileg. Her use of Social Media is rather uninspired if not to say boring, but as a person, I wouldn't say that enjoying fancy clothes, glamour or the "finer things" in life makes anyone appear overprivileged unless they didn't deserve it. But it's not like she made a fortune on her music to begin with. And she had to practically carry her own promotion, in a time where it is difficult enough to stand out and get noticed.

Don't really matter if she has what Alizée had 20 Years ago or not. They are two very different people. And seeing how Alizée's success visibly declined after leaving Mylène in 2004, I'd say she very simply got Lucky to be the right person, in the right position, at the right time with the right amount of talent needed to be as big as she was. Not that she seems to care nowadays, with her pool being the only thing she'll reach for.

I will agree though, that Alizée came across as more of your everyday girl whereas Julia seemed a bit more... preselected. Makes it rather obvious which one of the two appeared more relatable.
Just to clear it up, I did not use the words "over-privileged", but "very privileged." There is a difference.

A person cannot choose their parents or what country or their socio-economic status they are born into. Julia is beautiful and has a great voice and obviously has the means to enjoy the finer things in life at a young age. Hey, if my father bought me a brand new Maserati to drive when I turned 16, I would not say no.

My point is that the climate we live in today, her status is enough to turn away many people from her without even giving her a chance. Thirty years ago, it would have been a non-issue and maybe even an asset. It's not to say she should shun the finer things she is able to enjoy, but where is the down to earth side? What was missing in her own self-promotion is the pics of her in sweat pants and t-shirts. Without make up. Messy hair. Julia tries to look perfect and posed in her posted pics, and that is fine, but the price she is paid is that she appears unrelatable to most of her potential audience.

Another observation about promotion. Alizee had tons of live appearances to promote her album and herself and people just ate it up. Julia had only one that I know of (SEXTO) and looked terrified and stiff on stage in front of an audience. Outside of a few more videos for new songs, live appearances seem to have stopped. I don't know if Mylene saw the writing on the wall early and just did enough to fulfill their contract obligations, but Julia was left to fend for herself.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:56 AM

BroKenSkullDG is on a distinguished road

She was very privileged to be able to work with Mylène. That's as far as I'd go with using that term. As for her, I think there's been little to suggest if she was raised more or less privileged than say, Alizée for example. You make a good point about her never showing herself more 'naturally', always a little too flawless in her own portrayal, but that's just how she is it seems. I still wouldn't go as far as to call her 'privileged', but if she's giving off this sort of vibe to you, then I'd call it a matter of opinion and personal observation and I'll just leave it at that.

I literally don't know what was up with her lack of Live Appereances. I suppose there could've been plenty of factors adding to the ones you've mentioned. According to rumors 'Et Toi Mon Amour' was supposed to get a Live Performance on The Voice before the COVID-19 Lockdown hit.

The months of literate silence (which is something that only works for Mylène because that's how she always worked), newly released Songs going cold in no time, suffering from next to no Media buzz and / or coverage, having to market herself and adding to that the long wait in general with almost zero communication...

I could go on and on but what's the point. It was all a rather unfortunate situation for Julia that she had little actual control over. And yet, I find it unfair to say she didn't succeed because she didn't have what made Alizée succeed nearly two decades ago. It would be like asking what made Mylène succeed with such longevity across four decades whereas Alizée ran her career into the ground so quickly (I could write an essay on that!). Not everyone has what it takes to make it onto that next level.

Although Alizée's early rise in popularity would probably still happen, at least to some degree, if it were to happen now. Compared to Julia, she'd still fare better. If that's what you were getting at, then I agree.

Last edited by BroKenSkullDG; 07-27-2021 at 01:52 PM..
Old 07-27-2021, 10:07 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizée-Nederland View Post
Thanks for posting that. I had missed it before. I didn't really like the song, but then again, I don't speak the language. With Alizée, it's been well proven you don't have to understand the language to like a song, but then again I know the words to a song can make or break a song, so I guess we'll have to see what happens with this.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 07-27-2021 at 10:15 PM..
Old 07-28-2021, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Thanks for posting that. I had missed it before. I didn't really like the song, but then again, I don't speak the language. With Alizée, it's been well proven you don't have to understand the language to like a song, but then again I know the words to a song can make or break a song, so I guess we'll have to see what happens with this.
The writing was well applauded in the comments. More mixed response for the rap genre (which is understandably not for everyone but I got a feeling is very popular in France).
Old 07-28-2021, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The months of literate silence (which is something that only works for Mylène because that's how she always worked), newly released Songs going cold in no time, suffering from next to no Media buzz and / or coverage, having to market herself and adding to that the long wait in general with almost zero communication...

I could go on and on but what's the point.
Well, this is a forum and having conversation is what we do here.

There was excitement and anticipation here when Julia became the "new Lolita" under Mylene. Right from the start there was confusion as to what was going on. SEXTO was the album teaser. It quickly got many views the first month or so. Then the Making of SEXTO video came out which was more interesting for Alizee fans because, of course, Alizee was in it. Then there was silence... for months. SEXTO views dropped off sharply and it went into the following year and Mylene was touring so she obviously was busy preparing for that.

But you are right about almost zero media buzz or coverage. I saw one interview she did during that time. Maybe there was more but nothing substantial.

Quote:
Although Alizée's early rise in popularity would probably still happen, at least to some degree, if it were to happen now. Compared to Julia, she'd still fare better. If that's what you were getting at, then I agree.
Well, the "privileged" point I made was a factor and not solely the cause, just to be more clear. Maybe the American experience of being a teenager is different that the German experience and we see it differently. Alizee appealed to her age group, which was the primary target, but older age groups found her compelling as well. Almost half of her fans were females. She didn't intimidate anybody and was friendly and you can see and hear it on and off stage. There was nothing not to like about Alizee.

Julia projected a different image, perhaps the rich, pretty girl at school who is a cheerleader and steals other girl's boyfriend type. She might be just the opposite but never had the chance in public to dispel that notion.

The popularity game is just that, a game, but it sells records.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizée-Nederland View Post
Note who gave this IG post a "like"--badouchatelain, who is non other than Annily!

Julia Instagram75.jpg

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Scruffydog, I think this song might be a good example of your point.

English Lyrics

Sorry

Before we hurt each other
We were good friends
This is where we sign
This is where we part
Too many foolish love words
So many undecided signals
I didn't grow up
This is where we live

And from love to hate
You know there is only one way
I told you some ugly things
You know I didn't mean it

I should've screamed screamed
Sorry
But I let you pack your bags
You are not coming back
I'm (really) sorry
I should've ripped off your shirt
Not let you down

Before the fights
Before we lost ourselves
I promised you
I loved you without warning
I poison myself with anger
The pain I take it I squeeze it
I lost gold and joy
Shouldn't put myself outside of my mind

And from love to hate
You know there is only one way
I told you some ugly things
You know I didn't mean it

Sorry
You are not coming back
I'm (really) sorry
Not let you down

I'm (really) sorry
I, I'm (really) sorry
I'm (really) sorry
I, I'm (really) sorry

Sorry
You are not coming back
I'm (really) sorry
Not letting you down

Sorry
You are not coming back
I'm (really) sorry
Not let you down

I'm (really) sorry
I, I'm (really) sorry
I'm (really) sorry
I, I'm (really) sorry
I'm (really) sorry
I, I'm (really) sorry
I'm (really) sorry
For letting you down

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/d%C3%...e-sorry.html-0

Last edited by Bamagirl; 07-28-2021 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 07-28-2021, 11:30 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
Note who gave this IG post a "like"--badouchatelain, who is non other than Annily!

Attachment 3545

Edit:

Scruffydog, I think this song might be a good example of your point.

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/d%C3%...e-sorry.html-0
I think you're right. Louane is one of my favorite singers. I had listened to many of her songs from her latest album including that one and none really grabbed me but after looking at the lyrics while listening to it, I'm adding it to my play list.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
Well, the "privileged" point I made was a factor and not solely the cause, just to be more clear. Maybe the American experience of being a teenager is different that the German experience and we see it differently. Alizee appealed to her age group, which was the primary target, but older age groups found her compelling as well. Almost half of her fans were females. She didn't intimidate anybody and was friendly and you can see and hear it on and off stage. There was nothing not to like about Alizee.

Julia projected a different image, perhaps the rich, pretty girl at school who is a cheerleader and steals other girl's boyfriend type. She might be just the opposite but never had the chance in public to dispel that notion.
Nah, the experience aint't that different, except our stereotypes usually involve beer, not Jocks or Cheerleaders. To us, I'd say, she's just a very pretty girl.

Anyway, I really don't see what ever life she's trying to make anyone believe she is living as more hurtful than having a rather common name, instread of something inspired or exotic.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Nah, the experience aint't that different, except our stereotypes usually involve beer, not Jocks or Cheerleaders. To us, I'd say, she's just a very pretty girl.

Anyway, I really don't see what ever life she's trying to make anyone believe she is living as more hurtful than having a rather common name, instread of something inspired or exotic.
I am very good friends with a German couple who fit that stereotype very well.

Anyway, we seem to have beat this subject to death. A musical career does not seem to be in Julia's future (at least pop music), but it might be modeling. She seems to like that a lot and she has a great look for it.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:08 AM

Julia revealed on her Instagram Story, that she is still collaborating with Mylène Farmer. Meaning that any current projects are meant to kill time.