Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée News

Old 04-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronius31 View Post
Sounds like an okay idea. But the thing is, she's ten years older now so those songs won't exactly fit her in my opinion...
Maybe A quoi rêve une jeune fille (of what a "young" girl dreams) was a poor choice as far as her age now, but there are plenty of others that could and I think this idea is doable money wise and something her fans would love to see, but realisticly, I doubt something like this could or ever would happen for various reasons.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:24 PM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

Asside from hard core fans, dwindling every day, I question any interest especially in France for her early hits. We already know how they feel about Psych and Ueds. Four albums and all of the songs she has covered aren't close to enough for a best of album. I wish it weren't true, but it is. She must put out an epic new album in my opinion for any lasting relevence. I am speaking to the masses that will make Alizee popular again, not her hard core fans like myself. I will love her no matter what.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
Except there's already you know....a best hits album. Now, if she were going to put out a remix album, it would make more sense. I like Scruffy's idea about some new videos, but I just don't see that happening. It seems odd for her to want to promote old songs and photos.
What best hits album? Are you talking about En Concert? A live album and a best hits album aren't the same thing.

Anyway what's this "except"? You know something -- that "brown nosing" bullshit was unworthy of anyone interested in civilized discourse and I think you owe everyone here, especially the ones you intended that insulting absurdity to reference, whoever that was, at least an explanation and probably an apology.

You're a different sort of creature than the type of troll we get on this forum from time to time. All of your digs at Alizée seem to be sincere and meant as constructive criticism. The same cannot be said, however, for the way you treat other posters. That's unwise.

Regarding what you said about her, as opposed to us, I don't agree that a remix album would be a good idea at present. That's the sort of thing done by a successful artist with a big fan base. At this point, she no longer is that. She has a fan base, but it's fairly small, if passionate. A remix album would suffer from the same flaw as a best-of album. The only ones who would want to buy it and hear it are existing fans, and there just aren't enough of those left.

I said before that in making a comeback two and a half years ago, Alizée was not so much a returning artist as a brand-new one with a jump-start. Because she's doing things that are so different from the old days, she could not simply appear as if the years from 2004 to 2008 had never happened. She does have advantages over completely brand-new performers -- an existing fan base of sorts, lots of contacts in the music business and experience of same -- but she is not an established singer.

The loss of many of her old fans was inevitable. I suspect that it's probably gone about as far as it's going to, and anyone who's still interested in her music will continue to be. What she needs to do now is release something new that will resonate with a wide audience and create new fans. The best idea I've heard of the rumors flying around is the one of a return to her pop roots. I think UEDS was a cool experiment and an artistic success, but obviously it went over the heads of too many people, and was not the sort of music they were interested in hearing. That was what people predicted who first heard it before it was released: that it was artistically great, but would bomb commercially. Now that's fine if what she wants is a career in alternative-indie music without a lot of commercial potential but with much artistic satisfaction. There is nothing wrong with that. My sense, though, is that she wants something a little different. Not "more" -- only in the U.S. is anything that earns less money automatically considered "less," and it is NOT one of our positive national qualities -- but different.

Although there is no guarantee, and she is not entitled, a pop album would have the best potential -- well, really the only potential -- of hitting the big time. If that's what she wants to do, hit the big time again, then that's what she needs to do, and it needs to be promoted seriously, and even then it's a gamble. No guarantees, except failure is guaranteed if no attempt is made.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 04-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

She meant "Tout Alizée"...but yeah...uhh im out :S
Old 04-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Unhappy The end of an era - for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
I said before that in making a comeback two and a half years ago, Alizée was not so much a returning artist as a brand-new one with a jump-start. Because she's doing things that are so different from the old days, she could not simply appear as if the years from 2004 to 2008 had never happened.
While Psychédélices was more "synthy" than the earlier albums, I found its music and imagery largely maintained the spirit of Alizée's earlier work, and expected it would appeal to the fans of that work.

In contrast, I thought UEdS was a much bigger musical and dramatic shift. Not a single cheerful number was offered - hardly surprising, considering the tragic destiny of the album's protagonist. Some of the music was rather "thinly" orchestrated. We never had a high-production-value video, as much as I liked the one for Les collines, given its budget.

But with overall recorded music sales headed for the gutter, how can I fault anyone looking to justify their financial investment?

Quote:
...a pop album would have the best potential -- well, really the only potential -- of hitting the big time. If that's what she wants to do, hit the big time again, then that's what she needs to do, and it needs to be promoted seriously, and even then it's a gamble. No guarantees, except failure is guaranteed if no attempt is made.
Sadly, considering the fatal destiny of the recording industry, I think most singers really must start to look at any recording they produce as a loss leader which simply markets them for live performance work. If they cannot afford to give it away, they should think twice about recording it. And if fans want new recordings from some artist, they might think about patronage schemes.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mon Maquis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What best hits album? Are you talking about En Concert? A live album and a best hits album aren't the same thing.
Man you don't know what your talking about....you don't even know what "Tout" is....

Your making yourself look like a fool...
Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 PM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Theres nothing wrong with trying something new and coming out with an album that isn't very commercial. The biggest problem is the TIME she is taking to release these albums. She took 4 years to come back with Psychedelices. Since most of her original fan-base were Mylene fans, I assume they followed Mylene because she came out with 1 album during Alizee's hiatus, and then another only 8 months or so after Alizee came back. There are artists who start working on an album after a tour, and that album is out in less than a year! Sure, UEDS didn't sell well and thats okay, but if she takes another 2-3 years for her next album, I think her career is doomed.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
Theres nothing wrong with trying something new and coming out with an album that isn't very commercial. The biggest problem is the TIME she is taking to release these albums. She took 4 years to come back with Psychedelices. Since most of her original fan-base were Mylene fans, I assume they followed Mylene because she came out with 1 album during Alizee's hiatus, and then another only 8 months or so after Alizee came back. There are artists who start working on an album after a tour, and that album is out in less than a year! Sure, UEDS didn't sell well and thats okay, but if she takes another 2-3 years for her next album, I think her career is doomed.
I agree that a long wait for the next album could be disastrous. There has been a loss of momentum with the commercial failure of UEDS and I just don't think she can leave things that way for long. I'm not recommending that she sacrifice quality in her haste, but the sooner she releases something good that will get her back on track, the better.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:40 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
I agree that a long wait for the next album could be disastrous. There has been a loss of momentum with the commercial failure of UEDS and I just don't think she can leave things that way for long. I'm not recommending that she sacrifice quality in her haste, but the sooner she releases something good that will get her back on track, the better.

Very true.

I hope the rumor that she was given a short time frame in which to do it is also true (in order to keep her focused).

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon Maquis View Post
Man you don't know what your talking about....you don't even know what "Tout" is....

Your making yourself look like a fool...

Actually, making a comment like that only shows that you are the fool.

Last edited by Rev; 04-02-2011 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

It's possible that Alizee is under the gun to come up with something before the end of the year and so this thought of a best of album crossed her mind so she decided to send it out as a rumor to get some feedback. Well I'm surprised myself by how many people agree the time is wrong for such an album, but I think there's another possibility of why they're thinking along these lines.

Her trip to Mexico, for her concerts had to be an expensive endeavor, plus you add the fact that there was the failed autograph session before that. I was just looking at air fares on Air France for a round trip flight from Paris to Mexico. You usualy have to get tickets 2 months in advance to get the cheapest flights so I checked 3 months from now.

A round trip ticket in first class is $14,000, business is $5,000 and economy is $1,400. So how big a crew flew with her? I think around 20 give or take would be a conservative estimate. Of these, maybe about 4 flew up front (first or business) so a conservative guess would be about $40,000 would be a saft bet. Then you add in the failed autograph session flight which was probably another $20,000 minimum. Then you throw in all the expenses of putting these people up in hotels, feeding them, moving them to the different cities in Mexico, then you throw in the costs of renting the different theaters.

Then you go back to Paris. You keep paying your cast for practicing before the Rex concert was cancelled, plus the cost of renting the theater, then the same thing is repeated with the second concert. Bottom line is I don't think they could have made much money during the Psych era if any. Then you have the UEDS era where they must have taken a financial beating.

Bottom line is they probably have enough money to finance another album, but they're having their doubts about whether they should risk it or not. So they're trying to think of ways to raise some money for this endeavor and probably the cheapest idea they came across was a best of album. The songs are already there. All you have to do is package it and sell it. It was worth tossing the idea out as a rumor to see what kind of feed back you got and you could always deny it if the response was negative as such seems to be the case, which has me worried.

It shows to me who ever is running this show is an amateur. Doesn't really know the business. Has no faith in what they are doing or maybe not enough money for what they want to do.

Tags
judgement day will happen, sooner, the leak is inminent, yep.still waiting...