Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron14 View Post
It does me a great honor to be replying to the great Jalen for the first time.
But yes, I do agree with you. I would definitely not have expected such a big change in her style back at the end of '09, when I first discovered Alizée. I wonder what she would have thought of her current music back in 2000 or 2001. Even though Psychédélices was a big shift, she still kept her upbeat, sexy image. Well now we are hit with UEdS, and an image so profoundly altered I wondered if I was still seeing the same girl who had stolen my heart after my first watch of L'alizé back in November. I don't see why Edie was chosen as the subject of her new album (or why it needed to be a concept album at all) And I don't really dig her "dark" image either. Don't get me wrong, I still adore Lilly (it even feels strange to be calling her that now), still love to listen to UEdS, and I am still almost bursting with anticipation of meeting her on Monday.
I am still a new member, I hope my post is appropriate for this thread.

I think what in the end affects me the most, is that she doesn't seem as happy now as she was the last three albums, if you compare promotional pictures for both Psych and UEdS
Old 03-26-2010, 12:21 PM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

Ah, Jalen ain't that great. Kidding! But honestly, when I fell in love with Alizee back in either the first week of janvier or the last week of decembre, if this was the image I was initially introduces to, I don't think I would love her as much. Not at all. In fact, I might have dismissed her entirely. But I do like UEdS now, tough. Let's just say I'm glad I became a fan (barely) before this new Alizee was around. I'm glad my first Alizee was 'bum ba dum bum bum Alizee' and not '60's dark and brooding Alizee'. I love her as much, but not the same. Does at all make sense?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Post Real Europeans are somber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron14 View Post
...I don't see why Edie was chosen as the subject of her new album (or why it needed to be a concept album at all) And I don't really dig her "dark" image either... I am still a new member, I hope my post is appropriate for this thread.
Threads sometimes wander off course quite a bit. This need not be bad if the discussion is interesting.

I hope you will not find my remarks here too personal, Aron.

Perhaps you lived in the United States so long you are not very European any more. When a fairy tale ends, the American and European versions differ.

The American version ends:
"And they lived happily ever after."

The European version ends:
"And they lived happily - until they died."

Hungary is supposed to have the highest suicide rate in the world. If too many young Hungarians think as you do, this strange honor will be lost.

I am half-Austrian. I always thought that because Austrians like jokes, they were hysterically happy compared to Hungarians. And yet even they seem to feel that all good Europeans need to cry often. A very good example is the <a href="http://lemontree.typepad.com/a_lemon_tree_of_our_own/2006/11/linzs_fairytale.html">Grottenbahn world</a> in Linz, up the Danube from Budapest.

Maybe I am just an old man and my ideas are no longer relevant. I was born in the middle of the 20th century, while you were born at the turn of the century. Ask your parents if they, or maybe your grandparents, think as I do!

But I do have a confession to make. I was very sad after a long personal drama that proceeded to the slow and horrible death of a loved one. I didn't smile again until I discovered Alizée, when Youtube premiered in early 2006. This is one of many reasons I am very fond of her and will support her as best I can whatever direction she wants her art to take - even into darkness.

We were given notice that Alizée's tastes and aspirations were very wide with <i>Psychédélices</i>. It included the naive joy (portending tragedy) of <i>Fifty/Sixty</i>, featuring the dawn of Edie's story. I think Alizée wanted to escape the "happy teenager" stereotype which would prove unsustainable as she aged. With <i>UEdS</i> she pioneers a new artistic direction with courage, not to mention serious limitations on venture capital. Good luck to our Corsican princess!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:49 PM

Default Proper English song titles?

[QUOTE=docdtv;155970]Threads sometimes wander off course quite a bit. This need not be bad if the discussion is interesting.

I hope you will not find my remarks here too personal, Aron.

Perhaps you lived in the United States so long you are not very European any more. When a fairy tale ends, the American and European versions differ.

The American version ends:
"And they lived happily ever after."

The European version ends:
"And they lived happily - until they died."

Hungary is supposed to have the highest suicide rate in the world. If too many young Hungarians think as you do, this strange honor will be lost.

I am half-Austrian. I always thought that because Austrians like jokes, they were hysterically happy compared to Hungarians. And yet even they seem to feel that all good Europeans need to cry often. A very good example is the <a href="http://lemontree.typepad.com/a_lemon_tree_of_our_own/2006/11/linzs_fairytale.html">Grottenbahn world</a> in Linz, up the Danube from Budapest.

Ah, oui! I completely agree! Now, to my question! I have wondered for a while what the correct titles of the English versions of both Youpidou and Amelie M'a Dit are. I call the English Youpidou 'Youpidoo', and the English Amelie M'a Dit just plain 'Amelie'. But it seems there would be something better to call them. Unless youpidou is French slang for something, then it can'tbe translated. Does anybody know the signifigance of this strange word? And what does m'a dit translate to? I know some French, but still have trouble with contractions, so I don't know where the m comes from. Thanks!

Edit:

I completely agree, doc! But my question is thus: we all know the English version of J'en Ai Marre ! is I'm Fed Up! We know that J'ai Pas Vingt Ans ! is I'm Not Twenty! But I don't know what the correct titles of the English Youpidou and Amelie M'a Dit are. I refer to the English Youpidou as 'Youpidoo', and the English Amelie M'a Dit as just plain 'Amelie'. Youpidou, from what little French I know, is not a word. And I have trouble when it comes to French contractions, so I can't translate M'a Dit very well. I think these two songs were left out in this area because they weren't singles. Help!

Last edited by VVVACCPLPNLY; 03-26-2010 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 03-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Recline yourself

Quote:
Ah, oui! I completely agree! Now, to my question! I have wondered for a while what the correct titles of the English versions of both Youpidou and Amelie M'a Dit are. I call the English Youpidou 'Youpidoo', and the English Amelie M'a Dit just plain 'Amelie'. But it seems there would be something better to call them. Unless youpidou is French slang for something, then it can'tbe translated. Does anybody know the signifigance of this strange word? And what does m'a dit translate to? I know some French, but still have trouble with contractions, so I don't know where the m comes from. Thanks!

Edit:

I completely agree, doc! But my question is thus: we all know the English version of J'en Ai Marre ! is I'm Fed Up! We know that J'ai Pas Vingt Ans ! is I'm Not Twenty! But I don't know what the correct titles of the English Youpidou and Amelie M'a Dit are. I refer to the English Youpidou as 'Youpidoo', and the English Amelie M'a Dit as just plain 'Amelie'. Youpidou, from what little French I know, is not a word. And I have trouble when it comes to French contractions, so I can't translate M'a Dit very well. I think these two songs were left out in this area because they weren't singles. Help!
For the English versions of the MCÉ songs, the only correct translation is their titles. "Youpidou" is just plain "Youpidou" unless it is some Corsican or French slang, and the literal translation of "Amélie M'a Dit" is "Amelie [has] told me".

Edit:

-----

Another question,

Does anybody else get a "Moi... Lolita" vibe or feeling from "Factory Girl"?

Last edited by user472884; 03-26-2010 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 03-26-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
For the English versions of the MCÉ songs, the only correct translation is their titles. "Youpidou" is just plain "Youpidou" unless it is some Corsican or French slang, and the literal translation of "Amélie M'a Dit" is "Amelie [has] told me".
Thanks. I like the Amelie translation, but I'll probably keep English Youpidou as Youpidoo, to keep it easy on myself. And sorry about having poted the same message twice within itself, my phone didn't register that the message had been sent the first time. I get like, 2 bars if I'm lucky up here in northern VA. Stupid T-mobile...
Old 03-26-2010, 03:26 PM

ptjmwa is on a distinguished road

why is her nickname lilly?
Old 03-26-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjmwa View Post
The middle syllable of her name, a-LI-zee, is pronounced in French as 'lee', and her nickname is just this syllable reapeted, or 'lee-lee'. The exact spelling is debatable.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Recline yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVVACCPLPNLY View Post
The middle syllable of her name, a-LI-zee, is pronounced in French as 'lee', and her nickname is just this syllable reapeted, or 'lee-lee'. The exact spelling is debatable.
Lili, Lilli, or Lilly, I don't think we've earned the privilege of calling Her that.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:14 PM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjmwa View Post
It was reported that is what her friends called her in school.
BP (Before Psychédélices): Lili, Lilli
AP (After Psychédélices): Lily, Lilly

I've always used Lili since that was the most common spelling that I saw being used back then (BP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
Lili, Lilli, or Lilly, I don't think we've earned the privilege of calling Her that.
No, one would not go up to her or others using a nickname, but amongst a fan forum it's accepted.

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...

Tags
chronology, dates, events, misc., questions, timeline