Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 12-16-2007, 04:42 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
Oops on the seane, missed "sometimes" for some reason :-P

On reincarnation, I'm actually getting "React" rather than "respond" for reagir. Definitely different than what I had though - fixed.
As usual, one has to look at the spectrum of actions for which the word is applied. Clearly "react" and "respond" have a lot of overlap, but presumably are applied in slightly different ways....
I tried to generate a characterization of the connotation differences but I couldn't actually nail it down very well. The two axes I was thinking of were "the nature of what is being responded/reacted to" (e.g., whether it is an action directed toward the person, or just a situation) and "the nature of the reaction/response" (e.g., whether it is a conscious act vs. a reflex, and what kind it is, say written/verbal/physical).

But in any case, maybe "reagir" spans a certain subset in between the two.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquared View Post
As usual, one has to look at the spectrum of actions for which the word is applied. Clearly "react" and "respond" have a lot of overlap, but presumably are applied in slightly different ways....
I tried to generate a characterization of the connotation differences but I couldn't actually nail it down very well. The two axes I was thinking of were "the nature of what is being responded/reacted to" (e.g., whether it is an action directed toward the person, or just a situation) and "the nature of the reaction/response" (e.g., whether it is a conscious act vs. a reflex, and what kind it is, say written/verbal/physical).

But in any case, maybe "reagir" spans a certain subset in between the two.

Err... yeah, that's probably true. I was simply referring to what my verb book says:

Respond: Répondre
React: Réagir

I'll leave the rest to the philosophers :-P
Old 12-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

I think "react" is a better choice of word there. I was simply pointing out that she said she responded/reacted like a guy sometimes, not that she wanted to be one.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 12-16-2007, 08:39 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Definitely not a matter of wanting to be a guy, that's out of the question. The real problem here is that both react and respond fit perfectly in that sentence. However, because reagir overlaps, we can't be sure of which one really fits.

Of course, mooting all that, I have to go with react as well, because a response is part of a reaction, while a reaction is not part of a response.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Thing is, she does (or at least, did) want to come back as a guy as well :-P

The sentence "mais j'aimerais bien me réincarner en garçon" is "I would really like to be reincarnated as a boy." The one we changed is the next one after that.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:59 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Trippy. Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure there are tons of this sort of thing that I've never seen.
It's funny, the one thing she says she doesn't believe in is hypnotism. Someone once hypnotized me out of having the hiccups. That's what I call it anyway. It took about 15 seconds and instantly gone. Sounds funny, but after reading and hearing so many stories of all kinds of bizzare things, I must be skeptical; so, I have only my experience here to convince me.
That was also a good answer to the money doesn't buy happiness. I think people sometimes loose sight of the point of that saying. It's like saying that no matter how wealthy you are and no matter how much money you spend, you can still be unhappy. Certainly one needs money to be happy though. Going to see Alizée made me very happy at the time and continues to contribute to a sense of a fulfilled life. I could not have done that without plenty of money. Anyway, I'm belaboring the point. Good day.

Merci Fanny
Old 12-22-2007, 05:28 PM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

one thing to keep in mind is how people's views on things change especially in their teenage-young adult years. i don't think we should go back to interviews of years past and assume she still holds values and opinions on things like spirituality the same as she does now. i know i have changed so much from that age that i would probably laugh and not believe half the things i believed in back then. plus we'll never know with the old interviews how much of it was more answers fed by mylene to alizee since mylene had placed strict restrictions on all of alizee's interviews.