Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 02-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Merci Alizée

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
And how many times have you heard just on this website that people would buy anything that she put out? Just saying.
And how many of them actually did so? How many of them end up buying anything buying what she put out and they didn't like? Did majority of people buy her albums despite hating it or was it that majority of people who bought her liked her album and bought it?

And how many times we have heard on the websites that didn't buy what she put out, even when they liked it a lot?

Just reminds me of an instance mentioned by a person. A very young girl(probably below 15) in France saw UEdS on a store and she wanted to buy it. But she didn't just because she was afraid that she won't get good response about her decision from other people.

Last edited by Merci Alizée; 02-01-2011 at 11:11 AM..
Old 02-01-2011, 01:21 PM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
Euphoria, I would like to see you compare Alizée's career to your music career, and point out every instance in where you made the "correct" decision and where Alizée totally derp'd.
I never pursued a career in music. Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but in the music industry, one tiny mistake can be detrimental to your career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
I'm confused.

Aren't album sales at an all-time low? Is judging success solely based on album sales, morally or otherwise, really a valid argument right now?

I think the reason she isn't successful from a strictly industrial point of view is one of two:

She has no idea how to manage a career. This seems most feasible to me.

How does Alizee herself define success? I don't know for sure. But if she is happy doing this and considers herself successful, that's good enough for me.
Like Jung said, I think its fairly obvious she wants to be commercially successful. Around the Psychedelices era, she had to cancel her large venues in France because ticket sales were dismal. And no, albums sales aren't as low as you'd think. Both Nolwenn Lorey and Mylene Farmer sold more than 100,000 albums in the first week of their release.

I honestly don't know how she wouldn't be able to manage a music career. Did she not glean anything from MF, who is possibly the most successful singer of all time in France? It just seems like she is trying too hard to be "different". With this next album, I really hope she goes with something a bit more mainstream.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:46 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
...Just reminds me of an instance mentioned by a person. A very young girl(probably below 15) in France saw UEdS on a store and she wanted to buy it. But she didn't just because she was afraid that she won't get good response about her decision from other people.
There it is again. From what I have gleaned from both Alizée's statements, as well as general discussion and articles I have read, it does seem to be very important in France to "follow the trend." In other words, you are not cool if you are not listening to the right music. And apparently there is a relatively small group of people that seem to have the power to define what the current trends are. [this is of course a simplification but you get the idea what she is up against] This is why she tried having the kickoff party for UEdS.

She tried being on the fringe with UEdS. This experiment unfortunately resulted in both a loss of time and momentum as well as some bad press. She has learned some good lessons, and I'm sure is having many discussions with her peers at L.E. on the dynamics of the industry and how the industry, and French culture in general, is shifting with time.

After this, she will make some decisions on where she would like to go and how she will get there. Eventually we will hear about what she has chosen.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
There it is again. From what I have gleaned from both Alizée's statements, as well as general discussion and articles I have read, it does seem to be very important in France to "follow the trend." In other words, you are not cool if you are not listening to the right music. And apparently there is a relatively small group of people that seem to have the power to define what the current trends are. [this is of course a simplification but you get the idea what she is up against] This is why she tried having the kickoff party for UEdS.

She tried being on the fringe with UEdS. This experiment unfortunately resulted in both a loss of time and momentum as well as some bad press. She has learned some good lessons, and I'm sure is having many discussions with her peers at L.E. on the dynamics of the industry and how the industry, and French culture in general, is shifting with time.

After this, she will make some decisions on where she would like to go and how she will get there. Eventually we will hear about what she has chosen.
Well you know what they say, even bad press is good press.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Alizée's Thug Life

severianb is on a distinguished road

I think the only way to discuss this subject is by stating what you think of her career based on your view of success. Let's not argue over who's view is correct.
*MY* definition of success is a new album that I enjoy every couple of years and some good live perfomances to enjoy. She is doing very well on the first point, sporadic on the second point.

Lilly-Mullet & Do-Rag Appreciation Club Member #2 (member #1 Fevier)
Old 02-01-2011, 04:09 PM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
I'm confused.

Aren't album sales at an all-time low? Is judging success solely based on album sales, morally or otherwise, really a valid argument right now?

I think the reason she isn't successful from a strictly industrial point of view is one of two:

a) She has no idea how to manage a career. This seems most feasible to me.

Like I said in another thread, she has had little to no experience with the music industry without a team of expert musical geniuses to make every move for her. Alizee brought the music to life, she inspired millions, and she was (and still is) fantastic. But in terms of career choices she never lifted a finger, or at least that's how it looks to me. Is she completely free of blame for the position she is in sales-wise? No. Is it ALL her fault? Still no. It's hard to make it in today's industry without solid management, and I would be lying (I'd even venture to say that all of you would as well) if I said that I would not be confused and floundering in her position.

b) She simply does not want to be famous. This is also possible. With that much credibility and fame in the music industry, she could still be a sensation today if she wanted to. But she chose this instead. People measure success in more ways than one and we can argue in circles for hours over which is right, but the truth is that there is no absolutely correct, unshakable, solid way to define it. There's no right answer, just what your personal opinion is.

How does Alizee herself define success? I don't know for sure. But if she is happy doing this and considers herself successful, that's good enough for me.
WOW! You make a lot of sense for your age! I wish more people think like you.
I'm not going to debate this as I've already done so extensively in the past. However, I would like to recommend the site below to those who are unaware of this. They have a lot of really good articles/blogs regarding Alizee's career. They also have new pictures that I know you'll enjoy!

http://alizee-music.blogspot.com/

One of my favorites:

Sunday, December 5, 2010
Alizée... the contrarian

Alizée... the contrarian
Sure, kind of like Conan... the barbarian, why not.

Contrarian thinkers test boundaries and challenge the status quo. They are risk takers.

Alizée has always railed against conventional wisdon.
Being young she "played" the lolita role.
Being a sensation she dropped out of site, married and had a daughter.
Coming back she discontinued her affiliation with Mylene and friends.
The public looking for lolita part II came the real Alizée.
Looking for pop came electro
When information is expected it doesn't come, out of nowhere information shows.
Alizee Store opens out of nowhere, it closes for Christmas...

You get the picture.

After all these years... it's part of her charm! It IS Alizée.

Contrarian: somebody disposed to taking opposite position: a habitual opponent of accepted policies, opinions, or practices

So based on that... I advise you to not tweet me or email me. Conventional wisdom says it would not be a good idea. So I repeat... do not tweet or email me.
(lol, battle of the minds and I am at a disadvantage)

Remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, and not with it. - Henry Ford.

Last edited by Jake04; 02-01-2011 at 04:39 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

My view of success. Let's start with Psych. I spent a week on vacation in France, a month after this album was released. I rented a car and drove to Normandy, Mont St Michael, Rennes, Saumur, Tours and Le Mans, then back to Paris. I never heard one of Alizée's songs on the radio. There were several songs I heard a number of times, but it was obvious, Psych was not much of hit in France. You add the fact that there were 2 cancelled concerts, well it doesn't take long to do the math. Pysch was not a success in France.

Now we have UEDS. The French media have labeled it a flop. Some people have said it was and artistic success. Well that type of success wont put food on the table, wont put her kids through college (I'm sure she'll have more). She's still quite young and has to be wondering, how will I keep providing for my self, let alone my family, If I can't make it as a singer.

She says she wants to last and she wants to matter, but how hard it is for her to show up on Les Enfoires each year and answer all the questions she must face from her peers?
How's your new album doing?
When's your next concert?
When are you going on tour?
She loves being on this show, but to be on this show, you have to matter, and in France she hasn't mattered since she left MF and LB.

Is there a chance for her? I think so, but it will be a long, hard road in front of her.
As I said before she needs a manager who knows what they're doing. That in itself is a tall order. Then once she gets one, he (she) is going to have to find some good musicians and song writers to go along with her. That's another tall order. Is it possible? I think so. I just wonder if she realizes what needs to be done.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:42 PM

Karin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Is there a chance for her? I think so, but it will be a long, hard road in front of her.
As I said before she needs a manager who knows what they're doing. That in itself is a tall order. Then once she gets one, he (she) is going to have to find some good musicians and song writers to go along with her. That's another tall order. Is it possible? I think so. I just wonder if she realizes what needs to be done.
you are 100% right... she needs very good manager who knows how it is going/working... everyone could see in the letter on Myspace, when she cancelled Paris concert, that she wrote there something about her manager (I dont know completely what about manager was there, but I think there was something)

correct me if Im wrong
Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post
you are 100% right... she needs very good manager who knows how it is going/working... everyone could see in the letter on Myspace, when she cancelled Paris concert, that she wrote there something about her manager (I dont know completely what about manager was there, but I think there was something)

correct me if Im wrong
Yes, but it was also a coverup for low ticket sales.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:20 PM

Karin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
Yes, but it was also a coverup for low ticket sales.
yea... but I think that was problem of bad/no promotion too