Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

View Poll Results: Why did her new album fail?
Her clothing 0 0%
Deviation from mainstream pop 4 7.69%
Her long absense 1 1.92%
lack of sexiness 1 1.92%
lack of dance 2 3.85%
ineptitude of the record company 2 3.85%
Bad or lack of TV performances 0 0%
Bad producers 1 1.92%
Marriage 1 1.92%
Overall quality of album (I am sure no one is gonna vote for this) 3 5.77%
Bad single choice and music video 3 5.77%
Bad lyrics 1 1.92%
Separaation fro LB and MF 14 26.92%
Loss of her previous images 8 15.38%
Bad reviews 0 0%
Alizee's lack of experience (probably not true. I am sure no one is gonna vote for this either 0 0%
No international album 1 1.92%
Her overal looks 1 1.92%
Bad interviews 0 0%
....other 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2008, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mon Maquis is on a distinguished road

I just don't think the CD has been on the market long enough to say it failed. It's only been on the market for one month.

Take Fergie for example....She released her CD "The Dutchess" on September 19, 2006. It is now 2008 and her release of the single "Clumsy" just happend and its in the top 10. Who would of thought that a month after her CD released that she was going to have a top 10 song over 2 years from now from that album...

Hell the people in the US just started getting there CD's from Amazon US just a few days ago. Who knows if people are having problems getting the CD in other countries also.

With only one single release, I don't think we can even judge her lack of sales till months, if not years later...
Old 01-05-2008, 09:32 AM

GianGian is on a distinguished road

I think that it's a bit about the change on her image, the change on the musical direction and her abstinence. I see this as her first real album, so it's not doing that bad. And let's wait some more months to see how it turns out.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Paris féerique

Toc De Mac is on a distinguished road

Not enough promotion as well as a poor choice of the first single.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Wash warm, tumble dry.

ed2010 is on a distinguished road
Default Rca

It seems to me that RCA could have done a bit more in promoting the album.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:29 AM

Martin is on a distinguished road

I simply blame it on mediorce MJ. If psychedelices had Moi Lolita it would now be selling hundreds of thousands. Put a big hit even in a crap album and you'll see it selling out. Psychedelices is far from crap but MJ isnt a song you can actually love. Its decent and original but not good enough.
And I agree, its too early to call the album a failure. She said she is aiming for 75k-100k anyway. I think its possible since offcialy 30k are already sold and we are only in the first month and first single period.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:35 AM

clique is on a distinguished road

To all of you that think the rather poor sales are because of Mademoiselle Juliette: what song would you have chosen as a single? Fifty Sixty? I seriously doubt the sales would skyrocket just because a different single were selected. I don't see any song on the album being a huge commercial hit like Moi Lolita was and, to an extent, Jen ai marre. Say what you want about Mylene and Laurent, but they did know how to produce music for the big masses.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:39 AM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

Alizee ended her career in 2004. This forum didn't start until 2006. By then, most of her fans in europe had moved on. Some of the fans who did remain along with some of the fans in here, were dissappointed when she didn't return as the fresh face innocent she was when she started.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 AM

Actually, Psychedelices has no real single material. Singles are destined to be straightforward, instantly catchy with a really memorable chorus etc. Most songs on the album are good, but they are a bit more laid back and demand some more attention to grow on you. They lack that extra glossy varnish coat that will attract the masses. Par Les Paupieres is one of her best songs but I can't imagine her singing that in those bright Star Academy type shows. Lilly Town is too rockish maybe and Jemais plus is catchy and memorable but doesnt have that extra weight. Fifty-Sixty seems like a song destined to be a single and it could be more succesful than MJ, judging from polls etc, but muscialy is hopelessly unoriginal imo.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:54 AM

clique is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Actually, Psychedelices has no real single material. Singles are destined to be straightforward, instantly catchy with a really memorable chorus etc. Most songs on the album are good, but they are a bit more laid back and demand some more attention to grow on you. They lack that extra glossy varnish coat that will attract the masses. Par Les Paupieres is one of her best songs but I can't imagine her singing that in those bright Star Academy type shows. Lilly Town is too rockish maybe and Jemais plus is catchy and memorable but doesnt have that extra weight. Fifty-Sixty seems like a song destined to be a single and it could be more succesful than MJ, judging from polls etc, but muscialy is hopelessly unoriginal imo.
Overall I agree with you. I think the album is absolutely great, but it lacks that one song that could have made all the difference sales-wise. Pop artists in general are really dependant on those kind of songs that the general public will eat up, that gets played on the radio all the time. It's that kind of song that makes people buy a pop album, even if one is not too familiar with the artist.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:16 AM

Yep..its all about a single song. The one that would get things moving and make the big difference in sales. It's a shame because there is quality and attention in all of the songs of the album, with no filler tracks thrown in.