Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 09-12-2007, 11:45 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
Much if not all the money spent by the record company has to be recouped from the artist’s royalties before the artist starts to get a check. Break even can require sales of up to 250,000 units. These people are in business to make money, not give it away. The longer the artist sits in that studio, the higher the bill is.

But since Alizée was working on this recording while under her old contract, either she picked up the tab or her new record company had to pay off the old record company. There are probably other scenarios but I think these are the most likely. I'm guessing Jeremy's production company may have foot the bill, but I don't know.
Legal issues can get sticky. She may have been legally blocked from working on anything for anyone other than the record company for the contract period.

If she has a hit, and some catch like this was in place, she could be sued.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Legal issues can get sticky. She may have been legally blocked from working on anything for anyone other than the record company for the contract period.

If she has a hit, and some catch like this was in place, she could be sued.
I assume her old record company knew exactly what she was doing and they had come to some sort of "understanding". I don't think Alizée would make that kind of mistake and I'm sure she had legal advice on the matter.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:13 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
I assume her old record company knew exactly what she was doing and they had come to some sort of "understanding". I don't think Alizée would make that kind of mistake and I'm sure she had legal advice on the matter.
One would hope not, but sometimes there are gray areas.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 AM

Capn is on a distinguished road

gray areas can be used against the person that brings them up just as easily as the person they are sueing there is no reason to worry Alizée's new record companey wouldn't risk disaster by doing stupid things

Old 09-13-2007, 12:30 AM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

I have forgotten the (recent) source but somewhere out there in forum-land (maybe in the discussion of that interview with Sebastien Gerbi (sp?) ) it seemed like some executive of the old record company had said nasty things about the record (it was a French word that I didn't understand but it sounded bad), but the new record company liked it.

Maybe she recorded the album with Polydor, they didn't like it, she dug in her heels and refused to change it, and so it couldn't get released until she found another company willing to buy it off of Polydor, and maybe Polydor refused to terminate her contract early so they had to wait it out?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:26 AM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquared View Post
I have forgotten the (recent) source but somewhere out there in forum-land (maybe in the discussion of that interview with Sebastien Gerbi (sp?) ) it seemed like some executive of the old record company had said nasty things about the record (it was a French word that I didn't understand but it sounded bad), but the new record company liked it.

Maybe she recorded the album with Polydor, they didn't like it, she dug in her heels and refused to change it, and so it couldn't get released until she found another company willing to buy it off of Polydor, and maybe Polydor refused to terminate her contract early so they had to wait it out?
It's extremely doubtful that any record company would want to stay away from Alizée. We know how very awesome the new album is (not just because we love her, it has high production values regardless). Even if it wasn't good, Alizée's name still carries enough good for it to sell adequately even if the album were to be lame.

Alizée probably just got a better offer from RCA. Better royalties, more rights, something like that.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:33 AM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by espire View Post
It's extremely doubtful that any record company would want to stay away from Alizée. We know how very awesome the new album is (not just because we love her, it has high production values regardless). Even if it wasn't good, Alizée's name still carries enough good for it to sell adequately even if the album were to be lame.

Alizée probably just got a better offer from RCA. Better royalties, more rights, something like that.
Whatever I read is out there (maybe a rumor only) or at least it used to be...AFC seems to have done lots of housecleaning so I dunno if it's there anymore....you never know what a record company's exec thinks. Look at Kelly Clarkson vs. Clive Davis.