Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Translations

Old 10-03-2008, 11:27 AM

Fixty Sixty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo View Post
hmmm.....the more i look at the song, the more it seems like Andy Warhol doesnt have that much of a role in the song....i think its just talking about life as a celebrity in the 1960s.....
I agree that the song isn't about Andy Warhol. Edie Sedgwick tried to use Andy Warhol to achieve fame in the entertainment field while he was at the same time using her to further his own career as a filmmaker. She didn't have to leave college in Cambridge, MA and go to New York, but her desire or perhaps need for fame led her to do so and to also reject the help of people who were really concerned about her well being. This turned out very badly for her since she wasn't emotionally equipped or experienced enough to deal with the deceptive people she encountered.

While I see the song as specifically about Edie Sedgwick, its theme is valid for entertainers such as Alizée today, and with this song she may be letting people know that she's aware of the danger in pursuing a career in this business. She has talked about not wanting to come to America because of the 'sharks' in the music business. Unlike Edie, Alizée has taken control of her own career even if it means less popularity. Certainly, if Alizée wanted maximum popularity, she would have stayed with MF + LB. However, Alizée without question puts family before career, and, it would appear, other aspects of life as well.

Fauque wrote the song and it's about things that happened before Alizée's time, but Alizée has artistic control now and if she didn't approve of the song and the theme she would have rejected it.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:04 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixty Sixty View Post
I agree that the song isn't about Andy Warhol. Edie Sedgwick tried to use Andy Warhol to achieve fame in the entertainment field while he was at the same time using her to further his own career as a filmmaker. She didn't have to leave college in Cambridge, MA and go to New York, but her desire or perhaps need for fame led her to do so and to also reject the help of people who were really concerned about her well being. This turned out very badly for her since she wasn't emotionally equipped or experienced enough to deal with the deceptive people she encountered.

While I see the song as specifically about Edie Sedgwick, its theme is valid for entertainers such as Alizée today, and with this song she may be letting people know that she's aware of the danger in pursuing a career in this business. She has talked about not wanting to come to America because of the 'sharks' in the music business. Unlike Edie, Alizée has taken control of her own career even if it means less popularity. Certainly, if Alizée wanted maximum popularity, she would have stayed with MF + LB. However, Alizée without question puts family before career, and, it would appear, other aspects of life as well.

Fauque wrote the song and it's about things that happened before Alizée's time, but Alizée has artistic control now and if she didn't approve of the song and the theme she would have rejected it.
Well, I really don't think there is meant to be any resemblance between the character of the song and Alizée herself, but, undoubtedly Alizée is aware of the connection between herself and this story. I mean she rose to stardom explosively under the guidance of Mylène who told Alizée it would happen. Mylène knew what she was doing and what would happen, at least at first. I remember an interview where Alizée said something about Mylène telling her it would be really huge and telling her that Moi... Lolita would be with her for the rest of her life and so Alizée had to choose if she wanted to do it or not.

Maybe Sedgwick was more led to believe/promissed fantastic things than Alizée, but I suspect Alizée had her times of suffering the pain of disappointment. It seemed that with the second album they were trying to push out into the world and expand her influence, but it sold even less than the first album. That may have not been a failure to do well still, but maybe she saw it as not reaching the level they had hoped for and maybe that contributed to her desire to go off on her own realizing that she needed to take her life into her own hands. So, then Alizée wanted to comment on putting all your hopes into some benefactor or admirer. She has a sense of humility.

Maybe not. I suppose she had plenty of reasons for what she did. Maybe it was even kind of the opposite in that she felt fulfilled at the time and felt that moving on was necessary to maintain motivation. That's more in line with what she has said. Maybe it's just us who wished for more. Though she did even mention something like seeing Mylène cash the checks before they went to Alizée. Clearly there was a time when Alizée felt like she was an adult yet not seeing the full benefits of her labors like Mylène saw for herself. Alizée wanted to create her own thing and experience all the rewards of success from her own "production". From what I've heard, it's typical in this situation.

Sometimes a song is just a song. But clearly, Alizée has a range of emotions that she must deal with like everyone else. Like she said, it's not all rainbows and Disneyland. (or whatever she said) Still, whether it was from something she learned or something she always felt, I do get the impression that she went ahead with this song in order to express an opinion about life. One can only imagine what is coming next.

Merci Fanny
Old 10-03-2008, 05:25 PM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

People will always place their own interpretations to music, depending on how the song affects them, that may be different than what the artist had in their own mind.

Quote:
There are other double meanings about the past in the album, was this intentional?

No, but Jean Fauque couldn't hold himself back! (Laughs).

In "Mademoiselle Juliette", you say "Mademoiselle takes off, Don't break herself apart, In her role she only wants herself, No replicas of all the shows". Is this a transposition to your own past?

We didn't do it in that state of mind! When we sing a song written by somebody else, whether it be Mylene or Jean Fauque, we see several months afterward even more interpretations and then we say: "Cool, I didn't even realize that it could be interpreted like that!". So in effect, I realized a few months afterwards that it could be interpreted badly, but at the same time, I like this song a lot.

In "Jamais Plus" you say: "Yesterday nevermore. But yesterday is wrong. Today you see. It's never more. To forget I adore. That happens effortlessly. It disappeared quickly. And never more".

Its just a song about a love story. You see the vice everywhere! (Laughs).

That could also be a goodbye letter!

Yes, if we want it to be, but its more a good bye letter to a guy... (Laughs).

Lets talk about the clip "Mademoiselle Juliette", you go into a free and decadent universe in the 18th century. What is the story about that?

In fact, I go into that mansion as a visitor. At the foundation of Romeo and Juliette, there are two families: The Montagues and the Capulets. I didn't want to portray the boring story of their battle, so the families are represented by two colours: white and black. Juliette doesn't want to choose between the two and in the end she only makes one.

The clip is pretty hot, you are surrounded by female dancres and there is a bit of unbridled sexuality. Is this a lesbian reference?

In the song, Juliette completely doesn't care about her guy, what she wants is just to have fun. The guys are therefore excluded. There are only girls having the party so in fact its possible to imagine things. Its not explicit, each person has the right to his or her own interpretation. I like it when people put their points of view forward. Last time I met a gay person who told me that found himself in the same place as "Lui ou Toi" (Editors note: this is in the album "Gourmandises") and talks about a girl who doesn't know how to choose between two guys. It could have been a girl who told me that, but hey actually no, it was a guy! (Laughs). It is therefore necessary to do things subtly in the clip and to allow people to have their interpretations...
Source: http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/show...93&postcount=4

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...

Last edited by Sir Wood; 10-04-2008 at 05:24 PM..
Old 10-03-2008, 06:12 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Wood View Post
Merci pour le souvenir.

Merci Fanny