Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 05-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronius31 View Post
Man, if the mods had enough time to read every thread and delete what should be deleted(I am refering to people mentioning/discussing anything about Alizée sexually), then this forum would be squeaky clean and be enjoyable for all and we'd most likely notice a small climb in membership.

But sadly the mods have just as much time as the rest of us so they can't catch everything that happens. And that is why we are trying to set rules for what can and what shouldn't be mentioned/discussed.
This is a concern at times. Things can blow up so quickly, and some pretty nasty stuff might be in plain view for many hours before someone finds it. We mods do not have shifts. We stop in when we can, and so there is no certainty that the site is watched 24/7. I have found stuff that went on for pages that had to be cleaned up.

That's why if I see a thread starting to go bad, I'm more inclined to maybe just close it if I have to leave and won't be around for a while. One can never be sure when the next mod will be here to pick up the pieces. I used to try to read every new post, everyday. But there have been times when I just couldn't keep up with it, so now I read what I can. Of course it depends on how busy the site is.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

I've read many posts here but damn there's just too much information for me to digest.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k_0U3DlLFSU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur
Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 PM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
This is a concern at times. Things can blow up so quickly, and some pretty nasty stuff might be in plain view for many hours before someone finds it. We mods do not have shifts. We stop in when we can, and so there is no certainty that the site is watched 24/7. I have found stuff that went on for pages that had to be cleaned up.

That's why if I see a thread starting to go bad, I'm more inclined to maybe just close it if I have to leave and won't be around for a while. One can never be sure when the next mod will be here to pick up the pieces. I used to try to read every new post, everyday. But there have been times when I just couldn't keep up with it, so now I read what I can. Of course it depends on how busy the site is.
Lefty, this is not to criticize anyone in particular, but...

Myself, I believe closing threads is really a very last resort solution. If a mod ends up closing a thread just because there is a “potential” danger that some rules will ultimately be transgressed, then that is a thread closed for the wrong reason. This is often more frustrating than anything else for members. I do understand that this is a question of lack of human resources, but couldn’t we make it a lot easier with a little tweaking?

What if we elected three or four regulars with the permission to move a thread to a section that would be hidden from all regular members and the public? Let’s call these regulars “premods” to simplify. With such premods always present, the threads could be left running until an actual rule is transgressed rather than closing them as a preventive measure. At the first sign of a transgression, if no mod was available, any premod could just remove the thread and that would most probably already produce a calming effect. When mods showed up on the forums they would simply check if that “hidden” section contained any thread to attend to before going to their usual moderating duties. If a thread showed up in that section, the first mod available would decide on the best remedy to apply; reinstate the thread (maybe after some pruning of the offending content), close the thread permanently, give a warning to offenders... all this without the pressure associated with the need to make an instantaneous decision live.

Selecting premods would not be that difficult because their responsabilities and powers would be extremely limited and any questionable decision they made could easily be overruled (return the thread unaltered to the original location) by a mod with very little impact on normal activities.

Would such a scheme help manage the forums?
Old 05-16-2011, 10:16 PM

SaintÀlizee is on a distinguished road

The "too young" reason isn't valid to me. Kids know boobs and vagina exist. You don't hear about it and then all of a sudden become an immoral, 12 year-old. I've already admitted, if it were not for Alizee's attractiveness, I probably wouldn't be a fan. As is most cases for people who become fans through her JEAM performance. I have no problem with admitting this either. She's absolutely gourgeous. But at the same time, I don't go on here to rave about her looks and gather up every picture of her wearing leather that I possibly can. *cough* It's a joke, IWMH.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As some of you may know, FanDeAlifee chose to post about Alizée elsewhere(which doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't browse here) a couple days ago due to an anonymous member politely asking him not to discuss or even mention some things about Alizée or members of her family sexually in threads of any kind here partly for the sake of the forum's well-being and growth....
FanDeAlifee was out of control. It seemed for the last week before this issue came to a head that each post seemed to push the limits further and further. You were not the only one who was tempted to act.

In my opinion, your PM to him was the perfect response to his behavior. However, his response - actually posting your PM - I thought was totally inappropriate.

In fact, I would suggest that a personal PM be the first contact. Then, if not sucessful, a complaint to one of the mods could be the next step. Try to resolve it as friends prior to contacting the "authorities."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
Very true, I hadn't thought of that. I think it's safe to say that most most controversial subjects can prove to be a bit of a slippery slope.
The "line" is not black and white, but always a gray zone. Depending on the topic, the line would generally be perceived to be at different locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferb96 View Post
...But then people make a fuzz on the forum about "to censor or not to censor". Personally i think a 15 year-old like me must know what is right and what is wrong about sex so ... just ... just don't make it too explicit.

The [MDO] label is fine. Maybe some people found some really really "dirty" meaning in the lyric about this stuff or that stuff but don't know where to share they can use this label....
Ferb - I'm really glad you commented. When someone is 30 it is often tough to remember what it was like to be 15.

Quote:
Man, if the mods had enough time to read every thread and delete what should be deleted(I am refering to people mentioning/discussing anything about Alizée sexually), then this forum would be squeaky clean and be enjoyable for all and we'd most likely notice a small climb in membership.

But sadly the mods have just as much time as the rest of us so they can't catch everything that happens. And that is why we are trying to set rules for what can and what shouldn't be mentioned/discussed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
This is a concern at times. Things can blow up so quickly, and some pretty nasty stuff might be in plain view for many hours before someone finds it. We mods do not have shifts. We stop in when we can, and so there is no certainty that the site is watched 24/7. I have found stuff that went on for pages that had to be cleaned up....
There have been times in the past when the forum has been much more closely monitored. Even then, the moment that a conversation went into certain areas it was immediately closed.

In fact, I find that the mods currently are much more tolerant (cut people more slack) than they did 3 and 4 years ago. Unfortunately, I have noticed that that tolerance has resulted in a slight to moderate decline in the quality of the threads, as there are always those that enjoy pushing the limits (kind of makes you wonder why some of them are actually here, doesn't it).

So, the simple answer is to ask all to simply call on their common sense before posting. However, if too many fail to do that, then rules are better than nothing.

Last edited by Rev; 05-16-2011 at 10:30 PM..
Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I've discussed the subject of hidden threads before with other "officials" of this forum and I don't think they'll go for the idea of hidden threads.

I don't like the idea of premods either. Mainly because I don't think we're that large of a forum that has members participating on a regular basis and I think over the next several months, things are going to get really slow in here until we start hearing news from Alizee about her next album. There are numerous threads I never go into and I'm sure that might be the case for other mods. I had no idea of what was going on in the thread about Osama until someone reported it to me.
I think we already have enough mods. Creating more officials is kind of what my country does when faced with a crisis. They create more bureaucracy. I think what might be a better idea is we try and adopt a self policing policy where if members think the conversation is getting out of hand, they can click on a button at the bottom of a page next to the quote, multi qoute buttons to report it. This button would be labeled Armageddon or Y2K or 2012 or the gaga effect or whatever. This system would post a pm to a moderator's thread that would have an indicator that would stay red until addressed.

As far as FanDeAifee is concerned, he made some errors in judgement I have to admit, but I've made far worse errors in my days here. I could have been easily banned on a few occassions but luckily for me I wasn't. But I think he is a very valuable member of this forum. He brings so much insight and views of of such significance that if he leaves, he will definitely be missed.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:03 PM

len56 is on a distinguished road

I think it should be fine to talk about the meanings of the lyrics, or even how gorgeous/sexy Alizée is. At least for someone my age (18), I mean, JEAM Alizée is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Especially as long as it's not vulgar.

I think if someone says "I'd tap that" it's acceptable (and the truth , though I'm a gentleman so for me it would be "I'd make love to that" ), so long as you keep it classy and don't go into detail (if you want that, you can always go visit the somewhat disturbing youtube comments) (sorry Annily/Alizée, I know it's awkward :P).

Just wondering, who the hell is talking about her family in a sexual way? thats just disturbing

Last edited by len56; 05-16-2011 at 11:07 PM..
Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

Deleted.....

Last edited by User22; 05-16-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Old 05-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
Lefty, this is not to criticize anyone in particular, but...

Myself, I believe closing threads is really a very last resort solution. If a mod ends up closing a thread just because there is a “potential” danger that some rules will ultimately be transgressed, then that is a thread closed for the wrong reason. This is often more frustrating than anything else for members. I do understand that this is a question of lack of human resources, but couldn’t we make it a lot easier with a little tweaking?

What if we elected three or four regulars with the permission to move a thread to a section that would be hidden from all regular members and the public? Let’s call these regulars “premods” to simplify. With such premods always present, the threads could be left running until an actual rule is transgressed rather than closing them as a preventive measure. At the first sign of a transgression, if no mod was available, any premod could just remove the thread and that would most probably already produce a calming effect. When mods showed up on the forums they would simply check if that “hidden” section contained any thread to attend to before going to their usual moderating duties. If a thread showed up in that section, the first mod available would decide on the best remedy to apply; reinstate the thread (maybe after some pruning of the offending content), close the thread permanently, give a warning to offenders... all this without the pressure associated with the need to make an instantaneous decision live.

Selecting premods would not be that difficult because their responsabilities and powers would be extremely limited and any questionable decision they made could easily be overruled (return the thread unaltered to the original location) by a mod with very little impact on normal activities.

Would such a scheme help manage the forums?
Just to be clear, the threads I closed in this manner were already technically breaking the rules, as they had turned political and the posts were beginning to show some anger. I knew I couldn't stay around and monitor it all night long, nor could I be sure someone else would. In the past, when we had more coverage and knew someone would be around, we might have let the thread go, and cleaned it up as it went along, closing it as a last resort. Typically, they often end up closed anyways. A heavily edited thread can begin to not make much sense. The interesting thing is these problems usually seem to come in spurts. This site can go for long periods of time with no problems. One just doesn't know when it will happen.

To be honest, the issues of moderating do matter, but they are not necessarily the main factor. The goals and rules of the site established by the owner are the driving force behind the essence of this discussion. As I pointed out in a previous post, this site has covered mature subjects in the past without necessarily having any serious problems.

I know the subject of mature topics has come up a number of times recently. But I'm still not clear on what this is about exactly. For all I know, people are asking to discuss topics that have already been allowed by precedence. If people want to discuss politics, religion or Alizée's personal sex life, then I'd say that ain't going to happen without a change of the rules. If you want to analyze the sexual nature of the lyrics of Alizée's songs, well that's already been done, and those threads are still on this site and they are still open.

As far as your suggestion of "premods" goes, that is beyond my power and authority to implement. You will have to take it up with a higher power.

So I think I will leave it at that. I am not the spokesperson for AAm, and I've probably said more than I should at this point. The only thing I can say is if people want the rules changed, you'll have to talk to Ben. If you believe what you want does not break the current rules, then by all means, feel free to discuss. All I ask is that it be done with civility.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
I think it should be fine to talk about the meanings of the lyrics, or even how gorgeous/sexy Alizée is. At least for someone my age (18), I mean, JEAM Alizée is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Especially as long as it's not vulgar.

I think if someone says "I'd tap that" it's acceptable (and the truth , though I'm a gentleman so for me it would be "I'd make love to that" ), so long as you keep it classy and don't go into detail (if you want that, you can always go visit the somewhat disturbing youtube comments) (sorry Annily/Alizée, I know it's awkward :P).

Just wondering, who the hell is talking about her family in a sexual way? thats just disturbing
wait, did you just...hold on let me get my contacts in AND glasses on...did you just say you think people saying "I'd tap that" in reference to Alizée is acceptable? Not putting you down, but some advice would be to discuss that stuff in PMs with someone you trust on here, thats what a lot of people do. But that kind of stuff isn't exactly accepted well on here (I know from experience ).

And I'd rather not disclose who talked about some of Alizée's family members in a sexual way right here, but if you look earlier in this thread you can read all about it.

Edit:

And thanks for the info Lefty

Last edited by User22; 05-16-2011 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts