Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 05-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

I think we'll have destroyed ourselves within 6 billion years!

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 05-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

and then, Wall-E
Old 05-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naft View Post
Lucky you! I would love to be able to see him live, he is so articulate it almost feels like a physical force!

If only we had such people in Sweden, whether it is that the population of Sweden simply aren't interested, or because they don't feel an appeal to come here is beyond me, but I hope either changes their minds so Sweden can get some scientific literacy.
He is... I like how he is a genius but yet you feel like you could be able to have a convo with him one on one... hes so down to earth!
Maybe one day we will come keep your hopes up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal View Post
Im not religious but ironically the bible tells of 'false prophets' just before the rapture. ..

: o Im guessing on end of times in 6 billion years when the sun explodes. I wonder if Ill be able to go without dropping calls by then..

Wow assuming mans survival can you imagine the tech in 6 billion years?!
As an engineer I can tell you honestly that I cant even imagine the technology 20years from now, its growing at an exponential rate. That is why engineers always have to keep going to back for some sort of schooling to stay current! So as for 6 billion years we might not even be humans anymore... it is predicted humans will be part of a computer where the laws of physics dont have as much baring as one would think.
But 6billion yrs isnt the end of times... it is the end of our solar system, our galaxy and our universe will still be very much ok! Humans will become a race of travel, we are already talking about colonizing mars ... so it is only another few 100 years before we will be like star trek and really reach for the stars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
I think we'll have destroyed ourselves within 6 billion years!
Sadly there's a lot credible people who agree with you, such as Hawking. Though im not optimistic about many things, I prefer to be a realist, I like to believe we will survive through the wars we are bound to face continually throughout our existence. But lets face the facts, war will always be .... it is a human thing, we are a competitive race of hunters! But one reason we may not wipe our selves out entirely is that by 6billion years from now there will be too big of a human population spread out on many different planets, so I think there will always be a population that will survive. Even now, if we were to nuke ourselves into oblivion, out of the 6.2 billion people here on earth im willing to bet at least 100,000 will have survived. The population is too spread out and not concentrated enough for everyone to be wiped out at once. Even some of the dinosaurs have survived their cataclysm such as birds and other reptiles. So I feel the likeliness of humans totally destroying ourselves is not likely and I even feel decreases as time goes on.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 05-23-2011 at 04:16 PM..
Old 05-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Recline yourself

I'm very curious as to how we will go out.

I don't think the planet could financially afford a war so vast that we'd all die as result; I feel like even if pollution increases we would start to evolve...

The only plausible things I can think of is an outrageous airborne virus or Romulans.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Cheesy

Naft is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
He is... I like how he is a genius but yet you feel like you could be able to have a convo with him one on one... hes so down to earth!
Maybe one day we will come keep your hopes up!

As an engineer I can tell you honestly that I cant even imagine the technology 20years from now, its growing at an exponential rate. That is why engineers always have to keep going to back for some sort of schooling to stay current! So as for 6 billion years we might not even be humans anymore... it is predicted humans will be part of a computer where the laws of physics dont have as much baring as one would think.
But 6billion yrs isnt the end of times... it is the end of our solar system, our galaxy and our universe will still be very much ok! Humans will become a race of travel, we are already talking about colonizing mars ... so it is only another few 100 years before we will be like star trek and really reach for the stars.

Sadly there's a lot credible people who agree with you, such as Hawking. Though im not optimistic about many things, I prefer to be a realist, I like to believe we will survive through the wars we are bound to face continually throughout our existence. But lets face the facts, war will always be .... it is a human thing, we are a competitive race of hunters! But one reason we may not wipe our selves out entirely is that by 6billion years from now there will be too big of a human population spread out on many different planets, so I think there will always be a population that will survive. Even now, if we were to nuke ourselves into oblivion, out of the 6.2 billion people here on earth im willing to bet at least 100,000 will have survived. The population is too spread out and not concentrated enough for everyone to be wiped out at once. Even some of the dinosaurs have survived their cataclysm such as birds and other reptiles. So I feel the likeliness of humans totally destroying ourselves is not likely and I even feel decreases as time goes on.
As our new technology we improve, chances are turning higher that we'll kill ourselves, our civilization and perhaps even our race with it. If we compare the bombings in Hiroshima and Naggasaki which were both at an impact force of less than 0.02 megaton TNT (seperately) yet is an indicator to the destruction atomic fission can bring. Recently, more precisely in 1961 a H-bomb was tested in Russia that was called "Tsar Bomba", this was not much than 20 years later but this bomb instead had the detonative force of 50 megaton, and this was only at half of its true potential. This energy would equal to 1.4% of the suns discharge each second, everyone within a 10 mile (European mile) radius would be incinerated, the mushroom cloud reached a height that is 7 times the size of Mt. Everest and the earthquake from the impact went 3 times around the Earth before it slowly faded. Note that an was deemed "un-fissionable" about 100 years before all of this happened. We can't afford to lose nuclear energy and a country that is fairly up-to-date in technology has at least one nuclear weapon. The difference from the dinosaurs is that the dust raised and the direct impact didn't kill some smaller mammals and birds because they were so small they didn't require a big amount of either, like the dinosaurs that lived on couldn't live on the very limited amount of plants that were available after this, so they got extinct. Nuclear weapons leave some waste, such as radiation (H-bombs are more into the direct impact and force of the explosion itself, but there is still a small bit included because it's used to start the fissioning) that will last there for years. One misunderstanding, one misconception and a nuclear winter could occur, leaving us to the same faith as the dinosaurs. There are far worse scenarios, but for now this will have to do.

We won't die in 6 million years, the sun will constantly grow in heat and make the closer planets uninhabitable, one after one, the Earth won't be habitable in about 2 billion. In 5 billion it will turn into a red giant and turn weaker, but bigger.. This would most likely consume the remains of Earth (not guaranteed) and we'd be even more screwed.

However, we would most likely be running out of resources before we had to face any of these dangers, making exploratory spacecrafts a necessity for the human race to survive. Once we find out ways to travel long distances without the extreme need of space for provisioning and all other requirements for us to survive. If we can stabilize a worm hole this would solve all problems, however we would still need a planet, Mars is a good milestone but as the wanderers our race is, we need to wander further always having a frontier.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Recline yourself

tl;dr <like a boss, lying here in satisfactory pain due to an exuberant amount of Panda Express>
Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Mňau ^_^

Fèvier is on a distinguished road

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/23/136560...n-intact-world

jaja xD

Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
As our new technology we improve, chances are turning higher that we'll kill ourselves, our civilization and perhaps even our race with it. If we compare the bombings in Hiroshima and Naggasaki which were both at an impact force of less than 0.02 megaton TNT (seperately) yet is an indicator to the destruction atomic fission can bring. Recently, more precisely in 1961 a H-bomb was tested in Russia that was called "Tsar Bomba", this was not much than 20 years later but this bomb instead had the detonative force of 50 megaton, and this was only at half of its true potential. This energy would equal to 1.4% of the suns discharge each second, everyone within a 10 mile (European mile) radius would be incinerated, the mushroom cloud reached a height that is 7 times the size of Mt. Everest and the earthquake from the impact went 3 times around the Earth before it slowly faded. Note that an was deemed "un-fissionable" about 100 years before all of this happened. We can't afford to lose nuclear energy and a country that is fairly up-to-date in technology has at least one nuclear weapon. The difference from the dinosaurs is that the dust raised and the direct impact didn't kill some smaller mammals and birds because they were so small they didn't require a big amount of either, like the dinosaurs that lived on couldn't live on the very limited amount of plants that were available after this, so they got extinct. Nuclear weapons leave some waste, such as radiation (H-bombs are more into the direct impact and force of the explosion itself, but there is still a small bit included because it's used to start the fissioning) that will last there for years. One misunderstanding, one misconception and a nuclear winter could occur, leaving us to the same faith as the dinosaurs. There are far worse scenarios, but for now this will have to do.

We won't die in 6 million years, the sun will constantly grow in heat and make the closer planets uninhabitable, one after one, the Earth won't be habitable in about 2 billion. In 5 billion it will turn into a red giant and turn weaker, but bigger.. This would most likely consume the remains of Earth (not guaranteed) and we'd be even more screwed.

However, we would most likely be running out of resources before we had to face any of these dangers, making exploratory spacecrafts a necessity for the human race to survive. Once we find out ways to travel long distances without the extreme need of space for provisioning and all other requirements for us to survive. If we can stabilize a worm hole this would solve all problems, however we would still need a planet, Mars is a good milestone but as the wanderers our race is, we need to wander further always having a frontier.
Yea the Russian Tsar Bomba is not something to be messed with! It will most likely remain the most powerful nuke due to international agreements as well as countries (The US included) in a current state of disarming weapons of mass destruction, so in a sense as time goes on you can move back the doomsday clock conversely to what you were correctly saying about the evolution of weapons. The "new thing" in the weapons industry is not who can make the most powerful weapon but who can make the smartest weapon. Basically these weapons will be used to take out key targets of major significance instead of taking out a whole city or country for that matter. For instance one doesnt need to nuke a country... instead one can use an electro-magnetic pulse over the enemy's city crippling their economy as well as their weapons production. Or you could launch a cyber war crippling a countries computer network. You could essentially win the war without killing a single person; that is the future of warfare my friend. Weapons of mass destruction is something of the cold war era... only a few rouge nations today are interested in what is considered a thing of the past.
The sun still has 5-6 billion years left until it starts to forum into a red giant and yes it will consume the earth. The red giant will grow to be so big it will get to about where Mars is today. Finally about 6 billion years from now the sun will explode and form a super nova wiping out our entire solar system. The earth will still be habitable for another 5 billion years.
Well NASA is currently doing experiments on how the human body reacts to living in space, ISS is a great example. Also there have been life essential experiments such as having sex in zero gravity. All of these experiments prove humans can live for a period of time in a zero gravity environment. However I personally think these experiments arnt even needed; a centrifuge is not that hard to make and it will produce good old normal 9.81 /s^2 earth gravity or any other gravitational force that we so desire. So humans can undoubtedly survive traveling in space. The problem is how long will we have to travel in our vast universe. Worm holes might not be possible becuase no one is really sure what is the the shape of space time. If it is a hyperbolic paraboloid then worm holes are possible as well as time travel. However some people say space time is flat and if so there is not way to tunnel through time (the shortest way between two points is a line therefore there is no short cut). Also there is the problem of creating a wormhole which requires using a black hole. Personally I think we have a better chance of finding a way around E= mC^2 and travel faster than light than use "worm hole technology." The problem is going faster than the speed of light for a 1 gram particle would require energy on an unimaginable scale..... try doing that with a with a million+ kilo-ton star ship you start to see how problematic it gets. So one starts to think .... maybe the starship will have to be something like in the movie Wall-E, where we live on the ship for 1000s of years until we reach our new planet.

Edit:

I have been thinking and what I think is the best term I have ever herd to call our planet was coined by Disney
"Spaceship Earth" I couldn't agree more!

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 05-23-2011 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Cheesy

Naft is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
Yea the Russian Tsar Bomba is not something to be messed with! It will most likely remain the most powerful nuke due to international agreements as well as countries (The US included) in a current state of disarming weapons of mass destruction, so in a sense as time goes on you can move back the doomsday clock conversely to what you were correctly saying about the evolution of weapons. The "new thing" in the weapons industry is not who can make the most powerful weapon but who can make the smartest weapon. Basically these weapons will be used to take out key targets of major significance instead of taking out a whole city or country for that matter. For instance one doesnt need to nuke a country... instead one can use an electro-magnetic pulse over the enemy's city crippling their economy as well as their weapons production. Or you could launch a cyber war crippling a countries computer network. You could essentially win the war without killing a single person; that is the future of warfare my friend. Weapons of mass destruction is something of the cold war era... only a few rouge nations today are interested in what is considered a thing of the past.
The sun still has 5-6 billion years left until it starts to forum into a red giant and yes it will consume the earth. The red giant will grow to be so big it will get to about where Mars is today. Finally about 6 billion years from now the sun will explode and form a super nova wiping out our entire solar system. The earth will still be habitable for another 5 billion years.
Well NASA is currently doing experiments on how the human body reacts to living in space, ISS is a great example. Also there have been life essential experiments such as having sex in zero gravity. All of these experiments prove humans can live for a period of time in a zero gravity environment. However I personally think these experiments arnt even needed; a centrifuge is not that hard to make and it will produce good old normal 9.81 /s^2 earth gravity or any other gravitational force that we so desire. So humans can undoubtedly survive traveling in space. The problem is how long will we have to travel in our vast universe. Worm holes might not be possible becuase no one is really sure what is the the shape of space time. If it is a hyperbolic paraboloid then worm holes are possible as well as time travel. However some people say space time is flat and if so there is not way to tunnel through time (the shortest way between two points is a line therefore there is no short cut). Also there is the problem of creating a wormhole which requires using a black hole. Personally I think we have a better chance of finding a way around E= mC^2 and travel faster than light than use "worm hole technology." The problem is going faster than the speed of light for a 1 gram particle would require energy on an unimaginable scale..... try doing that with a with a million+ kilo-ton star ship you start to see how problematic it gets. So one starts to think .... maybe the starship will have to be something like in the movie Wall-E, where we live on the ship for 1000s of years until we reach our new planet.

Edit:

I have been thinking and what I think is the best term I have ever herd to call our planet was coined by Disney
"Spaceship Earth" I couldn't agree more!
I read somewhere that it wasn't absolutely guaranteed to what size it would reach, just that it was a 50/50 devouring the Earth, or else being closer than Mercury is to it today. As for the supernova, our sun is too small to actually make one of those, so it'll just turn into a red giant, then a white dwarf, then it'll just cool down slowly over the time span of a few billion years. The problem with it becoming a red dwarf is that it emits much less heat even if it grows in size, even if humans were to live and still be bonded by the Earth as we are today it would reach temperatures exceeding -100 degrees Celsius. I read in Carl Sagan's book A Pale Blue Dot, A vision of the human future in Space that one problem with space is that we lose body mass and density of our bones for each second we're out there. It is not by a lot we lose, but in the long run it turns to make a difference. Our circulatory system and the entire way we're made depends on a gravitational pull, we need it for longer journies unless we can get there faster.

There have been works to try to get around E=Mc², one of the many theories is that you crush space in front of you as you make a wave of space behind you, this would move space without requiring you to move the slightest; creating a condition where you actually can travel faster than the speed of light. This would take more energy than man know to harness, but maybe one day it will be a possibility. Michio Kaku explained it if you didn't understand what I'm trying to get across, I advice you to look him up if you haven't!

Essentially, we do not know where a wormhole might lead us if we manage to stabilize it, which would also require a tremendous amount of energy, but if it works as I think (where you might emerge somewhere else in space or time) it might be worth it, for exploratory purposes. I am sure there would never be such a program made involving men though because it's too much of a risk.

Edit:

Aside from how our race will survive and actual sane facts; here is something that can spice up this topic.

The same guy (Harold Camping) said in a press conference that he was sorry for not having the numbers worked out as accurately as he could have! The end of the world is actually the 21st of October according to him, third time's the charm!

Read the article here.

Last edited by Naft; 05-24-2011 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 05-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
I read somewhere that it wasn't absolutely guaranteed to what size it would reach, just that it was a 50/50 devouring the Earth, or else being closer than Mercury is to it today. As for the supernova, our sun is too small to actually make one of those, so it'll just turn into a red giant, then a white dwarf, then it'll just cool down slowly over the time span of a few billion years. The problem with it becoming a red dwarf is that it emits much less heat even if it grows in size, even if humans were to live and still be bonded by the Earth as we are today it would reach temperatures exceeding -100 degrees Celsius. I read in Carl Sagan's book A Pale Blue Dot, A vision of the human future in Space that one problem with space is that we lose body mass and density of our bones for each second we're out there. It is not by a lot we lose, but in the long run it turns to make a difference. Our circulatory system and the entire way we're made depends on a gravitational pull, we need it for longer journies unless we can get there faster.

There have been works to try to get around E=Mc², one of the many theories is that you crush space in front of you as you make a wave of space behind you, this would move space without requiring you to move the slightest; creating a condition where you actually can travel faster than the speed of light. This would take more energy than man know to harness, but maybe one day it will be a possibility. Michio Kaku explained it if you didn't understand what I'm trying to get across, I advice you to look him up if you haven't!

Essentially, we do not know where a wormhole might lead us if we manage to stabilize it, which would also require a tremendous amount of energy, but if it works as I think (where you might emerge somewhere else in space or time) it might be worth it, for exploratory purposes. I am sure there would never be such a program made involving men though because it's too much of a risk.

Edit:

Aside from how our race will survive and actual sane facts; here is something that can spice up this topic.

The same guy (Harold Camping) said in a press conference that he was sorry for not having the numbers worked out as accurately as he could have! The end of the world is actually the 21st of October according to him, third time's the charm!

Read the article here.
Well what you herd can be right becuase no one is really sure, most calculations right now are just estimates and will get more precise as time goes on. However from the scientists I have listened to, they all say the earth will be consumed. The size of a star has nothing to do with forming a super nova, a super nova is the final death blow of a star and that is when it explodes from burning all of its energy.

Yes that is correct, becuase our bodies have less force on them so our body adapts and becomes weaker. However im sure starships will all have centrifuges so we wont have to worry about a 0 gravity environment.

"There have been works to try to get around E=Mc², one of the many theories is that you crush space in front of you as you make a wave of space behind you"

You're talking about Michio Kaku's theory, it is a very interesting one for sure. His theory would work assuming one can bend space time. Blackholes are right now the only thing that man knows of that can bend space time and im not sure having a black hole around a ship would be a good idea. For one .. time would be slowed down for everyone on board the ship and also they would constantly have to worry about being sucked into the singularity..... also that would have to be one strong ship! Michio Kaku had an episode about this on his science channel show I am assuming you saw this as well. I am a huge fan of his books but I think he is too much of a sci-fi guy and not a realist like other scientists.... but hey maybe that's a good thing.
Its really nice talking to people who know about some of my favorite physicists .... good deal guys!! Remember this kids name Jacob Barnett. You will be hearing a lot about him in the future. He is just a kid now, but he understands things far beyond what it took me my whole 20 year life to just begin to comprehend. He is said to have an IQ high than that of Einstein's and is already on his way for a PHD. Watch his videos and videos he is in, you will learn a lot from him. I try to do this when ever I can in my spare time.

Also I like to go here and attend some lectures when ever I can as well, they are free!
http://www.youtube.com/user/MIT
http://www.youtube.com/user/khanacademy?feature=chclk
^whenever I want to brush up on somethings I go to these two links

For the worm hole ... the problem is you have to have two black holes that intersect creating a tunnel through space time and at the same time you have to avoid their singularities. The first black hole (the entrance) is the easy part, but how is one going to make the exit at the destination? There is too many moving parts the the worm hole approach which is why I don't think it will ever be implemented. I agree with you, it is just not practical and that's assuming our space time is shaped like a sphere or a hyperbolic paraboloid, if space time is flat a worm hole is impossible so there's that to take into account as well.

Heh yeah I herd that, I will see everyone October 22nd

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 05-24-2011 at 02:03 PM..