Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Media Section

Old 08-24-2020, 01:01 AM

joebanana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by failax View Post
European tv recordings are at 25fps, so the double to set is 50 fps.
I know, most of the videos with Alizee that I have are 25fps but not all.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Here's something of some interest which I stumbled across the other day when viewing a video by Dave H., aka Scruffydog777, titled: “ Alizée A video history of the early years.” I noticed down below the title, under description, it said: “Suggested by Moi, Alizée,” which I'm quite sure is the official Youtube page of Alizée.

Last edited by Bamagirl; 10-08-2020 at 01:22 PM..
Old 10-08-2020, 08:54 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
Here's something of some interest which I stumbled across the other day when viewing a video by Dave H., aka Scruffydog777, titled: “ Alizée A video history of the early years.” I noticed down below the title, under description, it said: “Suggested by Moi, Alizée,” which I'm quite sure is the official Youtube page of Alizée.

That's interesting! I don't think I've noticed the "Suggested by Moi, Alizée” before; maybe because you have to click on the "Show more" to see it. I was wondering when this might have happened so I looked at the analytics of the video and in all of 2019 it had about 5,000 views. This year it's had around 80,000 with over half of those coming in the past month!

So I wonder how this process works. It gets the seal of approval from Moi,Alizee so how does that translate to more views. I know years ago that certain videos would get a "featured video" label from Youtube which meant when someone searched for Alizee, it was mainly the featured videos that would pop up, meaning a lot more hits for your video. It must be a similar thing here.

I wonder too how a video get's the "Suggested by Moi, Alizée,” label? I'm guessing "Believe" notices a video using Alizee material. They view it and if they think it's good, they suggest to Requiem approving it and monetizing it?

video history analytics 1.jpg

video history analytics 2.jpg
Old 10-09-2020, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I wonder too how a video get's the "Suggested by Moi, Alizée,” label? I'm guessing "Believe" notices a video using Alizee material. They view it and if they think it's good, they suggest to Requiem approving it and monetizing it?
It would be interesting to know how that process works. Could anyone's YouTube video be approved if it was acceptable to them? Or are only certain accounts eligible?
I am not even sure how the YouTube monetization process works, in general. It seems logical that it would have something to do with advertising...or does YouTube pay just for clicks, even if there are not ads directly associated with the video? Does YouTube insert ads, themselves?

Last edited by Bamagirl; 10-09-2020 at 10:26 AM..
Old 10-09-2020, 08:40 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am not even sure how the YouTube monetization process works, in general. It seems logical that it would have something to do with advertising...or does YouTube pay just for clicks, even if there are not ads directly associated with the video?
Advertising is the main source of revenue for both YouTube (YT) and people uploading videos. It doesn't matter how many views your video gets, if your channel is not monetized with ads it won't make any money. You need to tick a few boxes to gain monetization on your channel, including reaching 1000 subs and being approved by YT themselves through a review process.

For any one ad shown on a video, the revenue will be split roughly in half between YT themselves and the channel featuring the video. A single ad shown is only worth maybe 0.1 cents (just an estimate, the value of ads varies depending on many different factors), but of course for those creators regularly getting millions of views the money really adds up.

If your video breaks certain rules in regards to copyright or violent/inappropriate content, ads will be reduced or removed entirely. Demonetisation is a touchy subject and one I could ramble on for a long time but I'll just leave it at this.

There are a couple of other ways creators can earn revenue through YT. Similar to Patreon, viewers can pay to 'join' a channel which can unlock certain features and exclusive content in the form of a subscription on top of just subscribing to a channel normally, though you have to build up a fairly large channel to offer this as a creator.
Another source of revenue is YT Premium (formerly known as YouTube red) which is also a subscription based service but more so for the experience on the platform as a whole rather than individual creators. With YT Premium, viewers can listen to music on YT with the app closed or phone off (kind of like Spotify), plus they don't have to watch any ads. Some of the money YT makes from premium subscriptions is then distributed to creators dependent on the views they get (or at least I think that's how it works, I'm not 100% sure how exactly that money is distributed), so in essence you can make money through views alone, but your channel still needs to be monetized and it's not as much as from ads, maybe like 10-20% of total revenue.

And of course there are indirect potential streams of revenue including merchandise, patreon, sponsorships etc.

So to answer the question in short, yes, most money made is through ads shown on videos.

Quote:
Does YouTube insert ads, themselves?
Companies will pay to have ads shown for their products, and YT will essentially just dish out those ads to the whole platform. Though YT can also take advantage of user data to show you personalised ads based on your interests, and these ads are worth a particularly high amount in comparison to standard ads.

Well that was a pretty long answer, I spent a few years uploading videos on several different channels and pay fairly close attention to what's happening on the platform. I even made some money myself (about $70) but it wasn't enough to meet a certain threshold so I can't access it, oh well, maybe one day I'll pick the camera back up again

Hopefully I've answered your question

Last edited by Ben.Daly; 10-09-2020 at 10:03 AM..
Old 10-09-2020, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post

Well that was a pretty long answer, I spent a few years uploading videos on several different channels and pay fairly close attention to what's happening on the platform. I even made some money myself (about $70) but it wasn't enough to meet a certain threshold so I can't access it, oh well, maybe one day I'll pick the camera back up again

Hopefully I've answered your question
Ben.Daly, thank you so much for your excellent answer! It makes it a lot clearer to me. I knew that you could pay to have no ads on YouTube when you watched it, but beyond that I couldn’t quite understand how the whole system worked.
If you ever decide to reactivate your YouTube channel, please let us know! By the way, I find the fact that they are keeping your $70 till you make more money to be quite galling. What a racket. I hope you can someday get your money out of their hands!
Old 10-09-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
...By the way, I find the fact that they are keeping your $70 till you make more money to be quite galling. What a racket. I hope you can someday get your money out of their hands!
Upon signing up they make it clear that there's a $100 threshold before you can transfer any money from Google Adsense to your bank account, I suppose it's done to make sure your channel is genuine and for other security reasons.

Quote:
If you ever decide to reactivate your YouTube channel, please let us know!
Any support would be appreciated of course, but the content wouldn't be Alizee related, so if I did make it known don't feel obliged to watch if the content isn't of a topic you're interested in.

I've always got ideas on my mind for videos to make but never really commit to them. It's just a matter of deciding on a niche to make videos about.

Maybe I'll set up an Alizee channel on the side to upload the occasional video, otherwise it's a matter of building up my own audience. Regardless, thanks Bamagirl for the encouraging words!
Old 10-10-2020, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Upon signing up they make it clear that there's a $100 threshold before you can transfer any money from Google Adsense to your bank account, I suppose it's done to make sure your channel is genuine and for other security reasons.
I do understand that, and I guess they have their reasons. But, having worked in the finance world, I admit it still irks me—unless, of course, you are earning interest on your $75. Otherwise, they are getting the benefit of a long term (or permanent) interest-free loan!

Quote:
Any support would be appreciated of course, but the content wouldn't be Alizee related, so if I did make it known don't feel obliged to watch if the content isn't of a topic you're interested in.
You have such a wide range of interests and talents. I’d be very interested in seeing whatever content you create!
Old 10-11-2020, 04:58 AM

joebanana is on a distinguished road

Ben.Daly explained great how YT works.
I would only add the part when someone posts a non-copyrighted video (Like me for example with most videos on my YT channel).
I read somewhere that YT allows the publication of such videos but the profit from watching the video goes to the one who owns the copyright (Which is fair to me). In principle, when you publish such a video, you work for the author.
I think that’s why posting such videos is allowed which is not always the rule. From my experience with YT most videos I am allowed to post but some of them may not be available for viewing in some states and a few videos are completely forbidden to post, there are no rules.
Even videos that are currently allowed to me if the copyright holder decides otherwise will be banned.
Of course I have a small channel and there is no profit but the principle is the same for much larger channels.
Today it’s raining in my part of the Mediterranean so I have a little more time to work related to Alizee.
I was watching her video “Fifty Sixty” and I was wondering what it would look like in color so I decided to play around with it a bit and try to add a bit of color.
It’s not real video coloring it’s a 4 color filter in the corners of the video. Some scenes look good and some don’t.
The ambiance and hair color look best to me. Anyway here is the video.

While working on that video I noticed the familiar clothes at 1:12 in the video. Is that the clothes from the video below?

Old 10-11-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
I would only add the part when someone posts a non-copyrighted video (Like me for example with most videos on my YT channel).
I read somewhere that YT allows the publication of such videos but the profit from watching the video goes to the one who owns the copyright (Which is fair to me). In principle, when you publish such a video, you work for the author.
I think that’s why posting such videos is allowed which is not always the rule. From my experience with YT most videos I am allowed to post but some of them may not be available for viewing in some states and a few videos are completely forbidden to post, there are no rules.
Even videos that are currently allowed to me if the copyright holder decides otherwise will be banned.
Of course I have a small channel and there is no profit but the principle is the same for much larger channels.
Yes, forgot to mention that. Copyright is another difficult situation, much more so than demonitization in many circumstances.

I heard maybe a year or two ago that YT was implementing a system where if your video gets a manual copyright claim, ads are shut down altogether so neither you nor the claimant get any revenue. In principle this is actually a fantastic idea as it takes away the incentive for companies to search through videos and make often unwarranted copyright claims. I'm not sure if this feature has been implemented yet or if it's made a noticeable difference, however I don't see quite as many creators complaining about copyright as a couple of years ago so perhaps it has worked (?).

Tags
alizee, alizeeamerica, section, video, youtube