Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Alizée, "Italian" princess of the House of the Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-4 View Post
Docdtv,
Great comparison between Annette and Alizée... I never thought about this comparison but it is a really close one...
Stephen
Thanks for an informed compliment, Stephen. For the benefit of those who don't know about what we are writing, I will point at it, <a href="http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/o/docdtv/Alizee/2009Dec/"><i>Alizée: The return of Annette</i></a>.

One of Annette's fans wrote this about the comparison:
<blockquote><i>[Alizée] is dark-eyed, princess-like, very composed like Annette, a polished performer at a very young age, and with a sweet, reserved smile...

Now I've watched a few more of her videos on YouTube, and some of them are much more mature and very sexy - today's dancing of course is much more overtly sexy than anything Annette did. Yet, to every boy of that generation, Annette was sex appeal personified - and Alizee's sexy dances have much the same effect...

I see on Wikipedia that Alizee was born in 1984 and is now 25, married, with a daughter. So she's actually been in the limelight for quite a long time... it's funny to "discover" this 15-year-old singing sensation, and then realize that was ten years ago already!
</i></blockquote>We, her fans, wish Alizée great success in <i>evolving</i> her image, as is her desire, so that she can <i>endure</i> in show business for a long, long time. But like all entertainers today, it seems Alizée will have to deal with the reality that <i>all</i> her previous work will remain very available in a world where it is so hard to enforce copyright, and previous work appeals to new generations. Of course, as one's career grows long, the import of any small portion of it will diminish - as long as there is new material which is comparably popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-4 View Post
I grew up watching the Mickey Mouse Club and Annette, and watched the singers come and go throughout the years, while continuing to play professional music for the last 54 years, in addition to my day job. (I'm still at it)

It wasn't until a friend of mine in Europe put me onto Alizée that I found a singer who possessed the qualities that I found so attractive, and appealing.
I hope your words will reach Alizée's eyes, because they are born of long relevant experience and are so flattering!
Old 03-29-2010, 02:37 PM

Vista is on a distinguished road

"Never been to Corsica? Imagine France, Ireland, Texas, and the Carribean all colliding in the Mediterranean. What a badass place."
Post by Lance Armstrong, Mar 28, 2010 - 7:16 AM via UberTwitter
http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong
Old 03-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Ireland, Texas, and the Carribean are the last things I think of when I think of Corsica.

Ireland - pastey white drunk people with hard R's and a dislike for the English
Corsica - Beautiful bronze gods and goddesses sipping wine from golden chalices carried to their open hand by mystical dragons.

Texas - well.... Texas
Corsica - well.... not Texas

Carribean - Henry Morgan, Christopher Columbus, Edward Teach, Jack Rackham
Mediterranean - Alizée, Odysseus, Helen of Troy, rich yacht owners/"Monacoanianeses"
Old 06-21-2010, 01:42 AM

Smile The Girl From Corsica

The Girl From Corsica is a 1959 musical composition by the late English composer Trevor Duncan. It is described here as follows:<blockquote>Such a wistful work as The Girl From Corsica could not have been entirely imaginary, and Trevor Duncan used as his inspiration the memory of a girl he had met on holiday a year before he actually immortalised her charms in music. Half French, and half Corsican, this young lady realised the impression she had made, but the relationship remained spiritual. The coda, you will notice, ends suspended on an unresolved chord... Two compositions, both written in 1959, were to assume great importance in furthering Duncan's career. [One,] The Girl From Corsica was heard almost daily on British radio, helped in no small measure by a fine commercial recording by the Ron Goodwin Orchestra... [Yet a third work, St Boniface Down (1956)] ...is dedicated to C. Gurrieri (the Girl from Corsica) who came from the Auvergne... The welcome success of The Girl From Corsica prompted his publishers to ask Trevor Duncan to compose more pieces with a Mediterranean flavour. In Wine Festival [from 1964] he imagines the sunny south of France where no one really needs an excuse to celebrate the riches of the vines.</blockquote>A review for the 2010 CD A Trip To The Library (GUILD LIGHT MUSIC GLCD5164) here writes:<blockquote>Among the special highlights on this CD is the original, full-length version of Trevor Duncan’s Girl From Corsica. Ron Goodwin’s best-selling version on Parlophone was abridged, but here we can enjoy the full sensual beauty of a work inspired by a young lady from the Auvergne, C. Gurrieri. She also moved the composer (real name Leonard Charles Trebilco 1924-2005) to write his tone poem St Boniface Down around the same time...</blockquote>It is interesting to note that like Corsica, Auvergne cuisine is famous for its charcuterie and cheeses. Long ago, it was the home of Vercingetorix, King of the Arverni, who led the Gallic resistance against Julius Caesar. Finally, Audrey Tautou, of whom Alizée is an admirer, was also born and raised there.

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/raNcpNvwl4g&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/raNcpNvwl4g&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

Last edited by FanDeAliFee; 06-21-2010 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: describe Auvergne
Old 06-22-2010, 09:28 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
Now, now Jalen It's time for a telling off!

Speaking for Northern Ireland. I can't speak for the Republic of Ireland as i've never been there (passed through part of it on a bus once but never got off).

Pastey - Well i suppose i am but i know thousands that aren't.
White - Yes, i'm definetly of the white persuasion.
Drunk - I don't drink (alcohol) at all. I know plenty who do as i'm sure you know plenty of Americans that do?
Hard R's - I speak with an entirely different accent from my counterparts in the ROI and don't have hard r's at all.
Dislike for the English - No. England is the same country as Northern Ireland (i.e. United Kingdom). Fellow Brits. No problem with them at all.

One word springs to mind. Stereotypes.
I have a stereotype for Americans but i won't go there.

Here endeth the lesson.

BTW - This reply is intended to be taken as it is meant. Firmly tounge in cheek
Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

The similarity between Corsica and Ireland:

Both are islands.
Both are magical.
Both have a history of persecution.
Both have a highly cantankerous, rebellious approach to life.
Both have their own native languages that have been suppressed by a conqueror.

So the similarities are really rather striking. Although the weather, of course, is radically different. And a good thing, too, for the Corsicans.

I don't think Ireland ever produced an equivalent of Napoleon, though. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Texas -- hmm, that's a harder one. I grew up in Texas, though, so maybe -- nah, I think that one's just wrong.

The Caribbean, no, actually the climate of the Mediterranean is a lot more like what I have here in California. The only similarity between the two that I can see is that both are seas and both are warm.

Obviously Alizée still thinks of herself a une femme de la Corse and most likely always will. That in itself, along with similar attitudes I've found in other Corsicans I've communicated with, says that Corsican national consciousness is alive and well, despite its political definition as two French Departments.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 06-23-2010, 11:58 PM

Wink The Corsican Connection

Quote:
Ireland... and the Carribean are the last things I think of when I think of Corsica.

...Carribean - Henry Morgan, Christopher Columbus, Edward Teach, Jack Rackham
Mediterranean - Alizée...
As it happens there is quite a substantial Corsican community in Puerto Rico. And Alizé (no second e) is the name of Air France's regional premium economy product for flights to the Caribbean. Finally, while most sources say that Cristoforo Colombo ("Columbus") was born in Genoa, some Corsicans say he was really an island boy born in Calvi.

Quote:
Corsica - Beautiful bronze gods and goddesses sipping wine from golden chalices carried to their open hand by mystical dragons.
Although James Boswell is best remembered as Samuel Johnson's vivid biographer, he first won fame for writing the book Account of Corsica in 1768, and long bore the sobriquet "Corsica Boswell" in consequence. In the 1920s a great part of Boswell's private papers, including intimate journals for much of his life, were discovered north of Dublin. You now have your Irish connection with Corsica!

By the way, Boswell, who as a Scot was presumably descended of people who in ancient times invaded Picti Britain from Ireland, was described as swarthy. It's also none too kind to fault people for what one supposes are their national proclivities. As Boswell himself famously protested: "Mr. Johnson, I do indeed come from Scotland, but I cannot help it." LOL. One must however admit this particular person developed a very unhealthy attachment to strong drink, among other colorful vices.

<center><object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hOSYiT2iG08&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hOSYiT2iG08&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object></center>

Last edited by FanDeAliFee; 06-24-2010 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: add Columbus
Old 06-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Lili Loyal

paintballpdh19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
"Never been to Corsica? Imagine France, Ireland, Texas, and the Carribean all colliding in the Mediterranean. What a badass place."
Post by Lance Armstrong, Mar 28, 2010 - 7:16 AM via UberTwitter
http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong
great quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:48 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post
Now, now Jalen It's time for a telling off!

Speaking for Northern Ireland. I can't speak for the Republic of Ireland as i've never been there (passed through part of it on a bus once but never got off).

Pastey - Well i suppose i am but i know thousands that aren't.
White - Yes, i'm definetly of the white persuasion.
Drunk - I don't drink (alcohol) at all. I know plenty who do as i'm sure you know plenty of Americans that do?
Hard R's - I speak with an entirely different accent from my counterparts in the ROI and don't have hard r's at all.
Dislike for the English - No. England is the same country as Northern Ireland (i.e. United Kingdom). Fellow Brits. No problem with them at all.

One word springs to mind. Stereotypes.
I have a stereotype for Americans but i won't go there.

Here endeth the lesson.

BTW - This reply is intended to be taken as it is meant. Firmly tounge in cheek
I know there are exceptions to everything... but I was basically describing my family on my mom's side.

Mainly remembering a certain Thanksgiving that ended in my uncles and grandpa drunk off their ass, trying to play Wii sports

Last edited by user472884; 06-24-2010 at 01:51 AM..
Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 PM
>9K

AlizéeInspired is on a distinguished road

I figured that I would make this post special And this seemed like an appropriate place to post it.

And so, for my 300th post ...