Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you preordering Une Enfant Du Siècle?
Yes 39 55.71%
No 20 28.57%
Undecided 11 15.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
I am glad that so many people are ordering this package. Looks to me like it will probably sell out. Thought I should add that plug since I'm definitely not ordering it myself.

Hmm. Lefty, I don't believe I would order the album if I heard samples and they were awful. Or if I expected it to be awful (which I certainly don't). My feeling is that Alizée does not benefit from uncritical support. During the Psychédélices era, I praised her to the skies when I thought she deserved it, and criticized when I thought she deserved that. Assuming she paid attention (and I am reasonably sure she did), she knows that she can count on me to tell her honestly what I think. I will this time, too. So far, I like what I see. The theme and imagery seem more mature than ever before, more creative, more artistically developed. It remains to actually hear the new music, and to see her new performances. Based on what I have seen so far, I have high hopes. When the album comes out and I hear it and see her perform the new songs, if I tell her that it's great, she will know that that praise has been earned.
I think I understand where you're coming from Deep. I should clarify, when I say awful, I'm not really referring to quality as much as personal taste. I guess I'm counting on Alizée being more motivated by our responses to her work rather than the money we spend on it. I intend to voice my opinion about her work and I hope she gives some consideration to what her fans, family, friends and her peers think.

When one spends over a year buried in making an album, one may pour their heart and soul into it and perform their parts perfectly. But all that happens in a bubble, so to speak. Once the general public hears it, they may decide that the result does indeed sound awful to them. The artist can't always predict this beforehand, so therefore I don't see withholding money as being a very helpful motivator. I'm not suggesting everybody should buy music they don't like. This is just something I want to do in support of Alizée. Also, I guess I don't want an artist to concern themselves too much with giving fans what they expect, because that may stifle creative freedom. But it also means risking that the public may find your latest creation sounds awful.

The money simply allows her to continue her career and to get another chance to try again. Regardless of how this album turns out, I want her to have that chance to make another album.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

I don't feel I can base a full opinion just on samples anyway. I've gotta hear the whole disc. And if I'm gonna buy it, might as well go all out.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I don't feel I can base a full opinion just on samples anyway. I've gotta hear the whole disc. And if I'm gonna buy it, might as well go all out.
This was a long time ago, but I stopped at a friend's house one day and he had a CD playing that sounded incredible to me. I asked him who it was so I could buy it. It turned out it was a CD I had previously decided not to buy based on some samples I had heard. That album has since become one of my all time favorites. Lesson learned.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

wow you guys who are buying it are the real fans, I tip my hat to you!

Meh I dont feel like wasting 140 bucks (w/e the exchange rate is now) on music. Also I think Alizee should sign all of them for that price... i mean if a fan spends 90 euros on your music I think they are worthy of a signed picture.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 02-05-2010, 06:06 PM

Ronald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
wow you guys who are buying it are the real fans, I tip my hat to you!

Meh I dont feel like wasting 140 bucks (w/e the exchange rate is now) on music. Also I think Alizee should sign all of them for that price... i mean if a fan spends 90 euros on your music I think they are worthy of a signed picture.
Could you mail this text to Jive Epic France?

They might reconsider
Old 02-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

I don't think they would reconsider, they're making a killing, so to speak. At least for now, as somebody said before, sales are gonna start slowing down.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:14 PM

Drake498 is on a distinguished road

Well, all I can say is... Alizée is probably the only singer I would drop that amount of bank on considering its a pretty nice collection and not just a free DVD like most "Limited Editions"

Je t'aime Alizée
Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall06 View Post
I don't think they would reconsider, they're making a killing, so to speak. At least for now, as somebody said before, sales are gonna start slowing down.
At 18 you haven't lived long enough to understand economics of running a business let alone the scale of economics in the music business. (Don't take the previous statement as a put down it is not meant to be.) Your young and naive to what things really cost.

Believe me she isn't making the killing you think she is with this promotion.

How much did the author of the hard cover book get paid for writing it?
How much is the publisher charging per copy of this hard back book including set up costs?

How much did the promotion company charge to design the box and set up the printing of said box?

The promotional /record company that put this together for Alizée they have to get paid for the time they have into the project.

Then there is the poster and CD/vinyl record sleeves there was a set up cost and printing cost to them also. There was a photographer who took the pictures and has to be paid for his or her work.

Then there is the company that is handling the sales of this pre-order set.
They're also are getting a cut out of every sale.

Then everyone that had anything to do with writing, producing, contributing in any way with the music and lyrics is getting a cut of every sale also.

If Alizée ends up making 20€-25€ per box set she would be doing really well.

Last edited by ALS; 02-05-2010 at 07:27 PM..
Old 02-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
At 18 you haven't lived long enough to understand economics of running a business let alone the scale of economics in the music business. (Don't take the previous statement as a put down it is not meant to be.) Your young and naive to what things really cost.

Believe me she isn't making the killing you think she is with this promotion.

How much did the author of the hard cover book get paid for writing it?
How much is the publisher charging per copy of this hard back book including set up costs?

How much did the promotion company charge to design the box and set up the printing of said box?

The promotional /record company that put this together for Alizée they have to get paid for the time they have into the project.

Then there is the poster and CD/vinyl record sleeves there was a set up cost and printing cost to them also. There was a photographer who took the pictures and has to be paid for his or her work.

Then there is the company that is handling the sales of this pre-order set.
They're also are getting a cut out of every sale.

Then everyone that had anything to do with writing, producing, contributing in any way with the music and lyrics is getting a cut of every sale also.

If Alizée ends up making 20€-25€ per box set she would be doing really well.
You make it sound so little lol.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Administrator

If Alizée has a typical music industry royalty rate coming from her deal with the record company, her cut may be as low as 3 to 4€ per unit. And she may have to share some of that with the writers and performers of the music. It's really hard to say without knowing what her contract looks like, but she hasn't been selling in the millions so I wouldn't imagine she is able to demand too many special concessions from the record company.