Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 10-19-2007, 05:46 PM

davmuz is on a distinguished road
Default Mylene

Well, if you look at any background research into her (that sounds crass, please bare with me) shes' a leading light in world culture. There was an 100 foot high 'Water Curtain' at her last concert, reflecting a certain attitude. It's worth checking out on any format anyhows.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:36 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

I'm not a big fan of Mylenes singing (preferring Alizée's voice to hers), but I would attend one of her shows in a moment. She is quite a showmaster. The goddess entrance was great showmanship.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:19 AM

Anabelle is on a distinguished road

Mymy is the BEST!!!!

Myspace
Old 10-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Iron and Silk

atra201 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFan View Post
Mylene doesn't impress me at all. Aside from flashing herself, she has nothing. Even that is disgusting considering her age.
Top performers like Alizee don't need "tricks" to get by. Their talent is more than enough. Mylene only wishes she had the class of Alizee.
to say she doesn't have class is harsh.
she has class you can see that and we may not agree with some of her work
but that's up to her.
she's just great.

"Such a shame to believe in escape
A life on every face
And that's a change, till I'm finally left with an eight
Tell me to react, I just stare
Maybe I don't know if I should change
A feeling that we share...
It's a shame
(Such a shame)
Number me with rage, it's a shame
(Such a shame)
Number me in haste, it's a shame
This eagerness to change
It's a shame..."
Old 10-31-2007, 06:31 PM

olympia is on a distinguished road

AmericanFan: define CLASS........
Old 10-31-2007, 08:41 PM
Don't speak French :(

Edcognito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
I take your entrance and raise it:

((ok, i deleted the video's in favor of shortening the post.))

Anyway MesGourmandises, it seems your hung up over certain things about Mylene that you really shouldn't be. Yeah she's pretty free with her body for instance, but it's always for the sake of art, not vulgarity. And that's not all there is to her. There isn't a drop of nudity in any of the clips for the songs you mentioned, for example. She's a complex woman. Type cast her with certain aspects and you miss the big picture.

Trumped! TRUMPED I SAY! I've NEVER seen a performance. Anything else that I've seen has been all shrink wrapped, disposable twaddle. THAT just BLEW ME AWAY. I don't have one bloody disc of Mylene's but its obvious that i'm going to have to. Is she still producing her own music? Is she still doing concerts?

Both the entrance and exit were ATAVISTIC!! PRIMAL!! Maybe I'm reacting to the "mob" feeling, but I have a feeling that the "images" that this "ARTIST" are tapping are very well thought out! They go RIGHT to the hind brain, and almost no stopping along the way.....

During the entrance, when the 6 guys walked (SLOW MARCH) up to the tube, I felt goose bumps. When they raised it up and slow marched across the bridge.... wow.........

Exit - That was sublime......... no other word for it.

And you were there?

I salute you sir!

Ed

"Most men serve the state thus: Not as men mainly, but as machines . . . "
Henry David Thoreau
Civil Disobedience

Last edited by Edcognito; 10-31-2007 at 09:34 PM..
Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 PM

olympia is on a distinguished road

I went through a similar "process" when I first discovered Mylene... like I've said before, it was all a coincidence (through Alizee's music!). But I was totally hooked when I watched the AQLO opening!!!

I agree with everything you said... the whole idea/concept behind the concert is just awesome... from another world!! It shows that a lot of thought and work went into it.... it's like nothing I've seen, before or after......
Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFan View Post
Mylene doesn't impress me at all. Aside from flashing herself, she has nothing. Even that is disgusting considering her age.
Top performers like Alizee don't need "tricks" to get by. Their talent is more than enough. Mylene only wishes she had the class of Alizee.
#1 - She and L. Botontant (SIC?) crafted Alizée's image from the get-go.
Does that then make Alizée "fake"?

#2 - "Flashing" herself? Great Jumpin' Gehosaphat! Have you viewed her
videos?

#3 - "disgusting considering her age"? She should just leave the stage to
little girls in pompons?

#4 - Alizée is a product of her culture - as surely as you and I are of
ours... But to imply that Mylene has no class, or resorts to "tricks" is
just (in my humble opinion) clueless..... And to compare Mylene to
Modanna? They may appear "close" to a certain mindset, but (imho)
they could hardly be further apart...........

#5 - One of Alizée's HERO's is Madonna, whom she would LOVE to sing with
someday.......

I'm grateful that someone has exposed me to different icons such as these two.... And i hope to GOD (heh) that societies do not become so homogenized that true differences disappear!

Ed

Henry David Thoreau
Civil Disobedience
Old 10-31-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiman View Post
I couldn't agree more. The feeling is mutual in my case.

There's certain goddess like treatment that she wants to get from everyone (or atleast a handful number of people treats her like that), which I guess I cannot accept. Her expressions and choice of image that she likes to put on, tend to have that flavour. Maybe some people likes that in their favorite artists (i.e. prefering to worship their idols, instead of regarding them also as flesh-and-blood people, like any of us).

I feel a similar image to Mylene is portrayed for Madonna by the American music industry. Like she's the untouchable goddess, who thinks and acts in mysterious manner, and who will always come back in the most unimaginable way that will shock the audience. I feel both of them markets their image with controversy (things normal people won't even think of doing) as an extra ingredient, and labels the image as "artistic expression of their free minds". The exchange of money that goes in the background actually tells a different story, where these so-called "artistic expressions" appear more like a joke... a mere packaging of a carefully thought out business product. And, these days, this packaging thing is all that most people care about.

Anyway, to sum up the above, I tried long ago, but couldn't like Mylene's extravagant style of performing.... makes her look too artificial. This is very much a personal opinion though, I know a lot of people may have a different view.

Artists I like (including Alizée) sings, talks and presents themselves as the real person they actually are.

If you take Alizée, for instance, (I can't help, but bringing her to this thread, it's an Alizée forum afterall) you'll notice that no matter how much perfectly Mylene wrapped her up with the Lolita package, her singing, her performance, her interview, her concert... everything kept bringing out the real her, and her unique personality. People who loves her always refers to her as an angel... not because of the image she puts on.... No.... But, because of the truly gifted person she is.

Do the images ever change the aura of Alizée?
When we see her performances, we know it's the image she is putting on, a character she's acting out, and she's doing it flawlessly. But, just when you look into her eyes, you recognize right away that it's her, and she's still the Alizée you know, unaffected by any impurity. For example, Alizée's first MV "Moi...Lolita", her image of a lolita (young girl seducing older man), she acts out the character brilliantly. But when you really look into her eyes, for example, when she says "C'est pas ma faute", you'll see the sparks of the person she is, coming out from within that lolita makeover. She dances wearing the extremely sexy dress, while doing "J'en Ai Marre" or "J'ai Pas Vingt Ans". But, her looks and smiles at the crowd keep flashing her immensely adorable personality. That is exactly the person she is, who never changes with whatever marketting package she's wrapped up with... truly an angel.

To finish in one line, artists that I like, are real in whatever they do. And, to me, Mylene appears too fake. Sorry, but that's my opinion.
I think your seeing what you want to - Alizée is as much a performer/artist as Mylene -

As for being "the Alizée that you know"? You DO realize that there are probably only (my guess) two people on this board who have even MET her? To suggest you "know" her at all is hubris of the highest sort.... Alizée has presented an image (which i happen to believe myself represents SOMETHING of her - or I wouldn't be a fan) - but we don't "know" her....

I would say take her off the pedestal, and look her in the eyes, not as "an angel", but rather for the woman she is.....

Ed

Henry David Thoreau
Civil Disobedience
Old 10-31-2007, 10:34 PM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

well it goes both ways. i often get irritated when people pretend to know alizee and make assumptions on her as a person (like saying this her character and she's this type of a person and she'd never do this and that, etc.). i suppose it also is that way for things people are negative on. some people pretend to know that mylene is a certain type of person. these judgments we pass, when positive nobody says anything but when it is negative, we get all worked up but they are both nevertheless judgments.

anyways, looking back, its a shame that some of the very positive things (other than music) of the mylene partnership is gone now. from the meticulous image control to marketing/merchandising, mylene's management was so well done, it makes me sad when comparing it with the pathetic effort shown by RCA so far.

Last edited by heyamigo; 10-31-2007 at 10:36 PM..