Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
She doesn't like night clubs. It doesn't say anything either way about drinking.
Hmm. I believe I understand that perfectly. It has nothing to do (obviously) with not liking dancing. I would say it probably has more to do with unfocused crowds, mental chaos, and the sexual pick-up atmosphere that so often prevails in clubs.

And I agree with her completely on this. I never do that either. I never have very much.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 11-16-2007, 07:07 AM

RadioactiveMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
She doesn't like night clubs. It doesn't say anything either way about drinking.
Even better. I fell asleep at a club once.

<_<
>_>
Old 11-18-2007, 05:29 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Cooney, I have one minor comment:

You translated "J’étais comme une ado face à ses parents." to
"I was like a teenage face of my parents." I sort of wanted it to say something like "I was like an adolescent standing up to my parents." But the dictionary requires that to be "faire face à". But, it just seems so much more appropriate. Is that translation supportable?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
Hmm. I believe I understand that perfectly. It has nothing to do (obviously) with not liking dancing. I would say it probably has more to do with unfocused crowds, mental chaos, and the sexual pick-up atmosphere that so often prevails in clubs.

And I agree with her completely on this. I never do that either. I never have very much.
I feel the same way. The only time I go to clubs is when I have to in order to see live music. That's one thing I hated about being in a band - having to play in clubs.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquared View Post
Cooney, I have one minor comment:

You translated "J’étais comme une ado face à ses parents." to
"I was like a teenage face of my parents." I sort of wanted it to say something like "I was like an adolescent standing up to my parents." But the dictionary requires that to be "faire face à". But, it just seems so much more appropriate. Is that translation supportable?
I don't think that it's "standing up to," which as you said, takes an additional verb, but your question is a good one, as it isn't what I said either. The expression "face à (qqn)" means "faced with (somebody)" rather than what I for some reason used.

For the moment, I'm correcting it to "I was like a teenager faced with her parents." There's not as much tension in it as "standing up to," but rather a clear decision point. Definitely different than what I had originally - good call.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:57 AM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't think that it's "standing up to," which as you said, takes an additional verb, but your question is a good one, as it isn't what I said either. The expression "face à (qqn)" means "faced with (somebody)" rather than what I for some reason used.

For the moment, I'm correcting it to "I was like a teenager faced with her parents." There's not as much tension in it as "standing up to," but rather a clear decision point. Definitely different than what I had originally - good call.
Could it perhaps mean something like "I was like a teenager facing her parents"? Somehow "faced with" in English usually conveys an unpleasant choice, dilemma, or task to be dealt with.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:49 AM

lowbeam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But the youth of Alizée is something exactly as beautiful as terrible, as radiant as somber. Alizée always has, in the corners of her smile, the nervousness of a young woman who has lived the best and remains none-the-less prepared for the worst. Her feather-weight size is deceiving: everything that she is reveals the strength of an armored bull calf.
I thought this quote from the article said something I've always sensed about her. She's tough and she's well aware of her situation. There's so much more to her than what she allows her public to see - a real depth and intelligence.

I know I'm stating what's obvious, it's just stated well in this article.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Corsican beauty

Ange is on a distinguished road

great article. Hmm I love Prison Break and my Wii too.