Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcognito View Post
Deep - you know I respect you and your opinions, but I will say "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs".
To which I will respond in two ways.

First, the only claim I was making above is that Dylan is narrow-minded and, in being convinced that he knows everything, mainly demonstrates that he knows nothing. I don't consider that claim to be extraordinary, do you?

Second, magic, while it isn't quite something that can't be proven, is something that isn't worth proving. The only people who can get any benefit from believing in it are mages. Everyone else is in fact incapable of either believing or disbelieving in it, because they're incapable of understanding what it is. And for a mage, for someone to whom it is a daily reality no more possible of doubt than the existence of air or sunlight, the claim is not extraordinary at all.

So, I have no intention of trying to "prove" anything, and you are free to disbelieve in whatever you are misunderstanding to be the nature of magic. (Actually, I probably don't believe in that misconception, either.) I responded to Dylan mainly because he irritates me, as smug ignorance usually does.

Let me add to that: I really don't care whether people believe in this sort of thing or not. If you don't, it can leave people on this web site a little bewildered, because the so-called "Alizée effect" is magical in nature (she being a mage). But that's OK. You don't have to understand it in order to benefit from it.

What does bother me is people closing their accounts with reality. Socrates was right: the wisest people are those who know how little they know. I get reminded of that myself from time to time.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716

Last edited by Deepwaters; 10-31-2007 at 07:58 PM..
Old 10-31-2007, 08:16 PM

Calisto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
because the so-called "Alizée effect" is magical in nature (she being a mage).

Deep I normally strongly agree with the majority of your posts, but not sure what you mean by this statement. Possibly I just misunderstood you.

The "Alizée effect" has been called magical but rarely meant literally. It is usually used in the same context as "That kiss was just magical" meaning it caused very strong emotions, not that it caused anything super natural or any kind of actual "magical" effect.

This really suprised me coming from you because you had an older post (which actually inspired me to PM you about it if you recall) about this very same subject and I thought you hit the nail on the head, and you didn't mention magic at all. This was your old take on the "Lili Effect" :

Quote:
The "Alizée effect" I would say rests largely on the beauty of her spirit. More than her physical beauty or even her talent and amazing voice, it's the sense that we are in the presence of a very fine person, someone we would all be honored to have as a friend.
The only other question I have is about you saying "her being a mage". What did you mean by that? I know I read in an old press clipping that she had tried to have Séances with some friends, but surely that isn't what you meant. I haven't seen much else other then her superstition that even refers to anything magical or supernatural.

But my apoligizes for contributing to the thread de-railing So Happy Haloween Everyone!

Last edited by Calisto; 10-31-2007 at 09:13 PM..
Old 10-31-2007, 09:45 PM

marik is on a distinguished road

why yes! HAPPY HALLOWEEN GUYS! HAPPY HALLOWEEN! ehh?

wheres my candies?> i rang your doorbell guys! ? jk

Last edited by marik; 10-31-2007 at 10:13 PM..
Old 10-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Old Geezer & Music Critic

AmericanFan is on a distinguished road

Happy Halloween... or not. Just enjoy the cartoon.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisto View Post
The "Alizée effect" has been called magical but rarely meant literally.
I mean it literally, and there's no conflict between this and my earlier statement, because the effect would not be so positive if she were a mean, nasty person. But it also wouldn't be so powerful without the magic.

This is something I perceived before ever seeing any of her interviews where she mentioned her occult interests or activities, because I'm a mage as well and have had interactions with her on that level. The interviews (and there's a lot more than just the seances) were for me only confirmation. Also they gave me permission to talk about this stuff (to a limited degree) by showing that it wasn't a big secret.

There's more in the MTV Italy interview, in the Fun TV interview, and in various print interviews. Take another look at that stuff and see if you can see what I'm talking about.

Quote:
But my apoligizes for contributing to the thread de-railing So Happy Haloween Everyone!
I think magic, spirits, ghosts, and such are perfectly on-topic for a thread about Halloween! Don't sweat it.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 PM

rcs is on a distinguished road
Talking Trick or Treat Lili, You Can Have All My Candy

Trick or Treat,
Smell My Feet,
When It Comes To Lili,
I Hope We Meet.

Ok, ok. So, I could use some work in the rhymes department. But, the last verse is true.

Nowadays, I don't go to haunted houses. I tell my nephews and nieces that if they want to be scared, jump in the car, and I'll drive us to the bad part of town. Now, that's the real scary. And it's free.

Alizee: Wowww!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:39 PM

Calisto is on a distinguished road

Fascinating stuff Deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
There's more in the MTV Italy interview, in the Fun TV interview, and in various print interviews. Take another look at that stuff and see if you can see what I'm talking about.
I needed an excuse to watch them again anyway.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:44 PM

rcs is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb I'll Leave The Light On For Ya

Wow, slow night.

Looks like I'm gonna have 6 lbs of left-over Halloween candy to give away at work.

Alizee: Wowww!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:47 PM
euuuhhhhh

Fish is on a distinguished road

I feel that. I didn't even go through 1 full bag, and thats with what I and my dad have mooched over the past week or so.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 PM
no use for a title

nurvonic is on a distinguished road

Deepwaters, i dunno if its fascinating or weird or both, but whatever floats your boat....
Closed Thread