Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 05-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post
I've managed to find it -

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5560

I never meant to cause such a fuss (with the Bin Laden thread) and was really only trying to make what i think was a valid point?
I agree somewhat with HelixSix. I think that there should be a place for discussions which don't always fit the rules and regulations list.
Whilst obviously i realise that that is not this Forums intentions i think it would be a useful tool.
We have members here from all over the world and it's sometimes refreshing to gain insight into World events from those who actually experience them.
Unfortunately that does run the real risk of things getting out of hand and that is a pity but i still believe that the rules should be relaxed and the idea given a chance?
You did nothing wrong my friend it was another member who made trouble. I just wanted to tell you to not go into politics so the thread would not go in that direction. Then another member (* who I hope at least got reprimanded for spitefully going there after is was clearly stated not to) posted politics to get the thread locked!
Anyways this is my last post on the matter~
FRA~

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

@Junkmale, you didn't cause a fuss. But I think your point was valid. And yes, now I remember the thread, thanks.

I've been around here since 2006 and it seems that almost every time we have given a controversial thread a chance to stay open for a while, it has ended up becoming extremely nasty and eventually is closed. So yes, we are more apt to close them more quickly now. The one exception I can think of was the MDO thread, but it was a discussion about Alizée's career and not off-topic. We have a very poor track record here overall, of being able to maintain civility when a controversial subject is involved. Whereas that kind of atmosphere may be normal and acceptable for sites dedicated to such discussions, I just don't think it is here. The anger that develops tends to creep into other threads.

As Azhiri said, there are many places on the internet to have these discussions. If we all wanted to talk together more about these issues, maybe someone can post a link to such a site where we all can go for that purpose. I believe Deepwaters once posted a link to a site, but I can't recall right now what it was.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:27 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

Here's one i'm a member of and use most days -

http://www.atangledweb.org/

It's based here in Northern Ireland but has a good mix of members from both the UK and the US.
You'll find me there as JM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Corrupt mods? No way!

HelixSix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
There are plenty of places to talk about Osama all over the internet; upon registration we all agreed not to heavily discuss politics.
I guess I'm gonna have to go register at a political forum just so I can talk about Bin laden for a couple weeks with people I don't know at all... It's pretty pointless if you ask me. Why go talk to a bunch of strangers when I've been here for years and other people want to talk about it too? Especially when the thread probably won't go on for very long. Yeah I know the rules but come on...it's a once or twice in a lifetime event and we can't even talk about it.

If the promoters and people who try to get more activity at this site want to help they should consider allowing more subject matter to be discussed here. Instead we are being told to shut up or leave when now is the most important time to keep forum activity up since Alizée is on break.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Nobody here would have happened to have visited the Getty Villa recently, would they?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
You did nothing wrong my friend it was another member who made trouble. I just wanted to tell you to not go into politics so the thread would not go in that direction. Then another member (* who I hope at least got reprimanded for spitefully going there after is was clearly stated not to) posted politics to get the thread locked!
Anyways this is my last post on the matter~
FRA~
Again, this is not how it works FRA.

You cannot try to make a thread just enough of what you want it to be and then impose on others to not transgress a rule that you, yourself, have transgressed. My own assessment is that the thread was already politically tinted. You do not seem to agree with this, but that does not make your opinion more valid than mine.

Before I intervened, it was asked three or four times by two different members why the thread was allowed to continue. There was no follow up. Well, if it was to continue (and I really did not have a problem with that), I think it is fairly obvious that others were then allowed to provide a different view on this complex topic. Of course, I did understand that this would most probably push the thread over the edge, but you know what, to my assessment, this was a fairer outcome than letting it continue with a member attempting to unofficially moderate the content.

As for this reprimand you believe I so well deserve, I am sorry to let you know that so far, all I received are praises. You see, sometimes, the world just seems to work differently from what we expect.

Certainly no hard feelings on my part and I hope you feel the same.

Last edited by Corsaire; 05-05-2011 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: Cometic changes
Old 05-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yv-Fk1PwVeU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-05-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelixSix View Post
This politics/Osama stuff takes me a long way back to where everybody was talking about adding a different section or type of threads. I think there should be a place where things like politics or other controversial things can be talked about.
A while back, I did my part to make this a reality and it almost worked out. At the end, all that was needed was a separate “private” section only for members (not for the public to access) where controversial/touchy/mature subject could be discussed. There would have been a clear notice at the top of that section warning members about the controversial nature of the topics being discussed. Civility and regular etiquette would still have been enforced (no personal attacks, insults, trolling...). 3 or 4 moderators possibly needed and at least two should have had to agree to close a thread, or warn or ban a member from this section.

Rather simple if you ask me. The only downside was to determine if this would slow down activities in the other sections to the point that AAm would be even less appealing to newcomers. I say the best way would be to try it for a while and see. If people just kept posting in that new section and deserted the public forums, I suppose it would have to be closed so to preserve the already far too little activity going on there.

Last edited by Corsaire; 05-05-2011 at 12:17 AM..
Old 05-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Mňau ^_^

Fèvier is on a distinguished road

I feel like I carried over the argument. I iz sorry

Old 05-05-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fèvier View Post
I feel like I carried over the argument. I iz sorry
Not to worry Fèv.
I believe this issue is basically dead right now.
And maybe some good will come from the fact that it spilled over here... Like a new “controversial” section!!