Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-15-2013, 11:42 PM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Funny how when the discussion is mature and we all respect each other, everyone turns out to have very valid points. There is plenty of stuff for me to ponder on in the present thread and I want to thank all of you who are taking the time to read what others have written and further contribute very interesting content.

A while back, I took a break from AAm forums because I couldn’t get any decent discussions going. I returned not so long ago with the intention of not investing much time and energy, just have some fun, get my dose of nice Alizée pictures and see how it would feel. I had given up on having any discussion on topics I prefer because it would either generate little or no participation, or cause controversies and fights. Human nature being what it is, it didn’t take long before I returned to my old habits and I created the present thread, but with little hopes of it getting anywhere. Well, this is turning out to be just what I was craving so much, an enriching discussion with fellow Alizée fans.

Edit:

@ Euphoria, great post! I like it when you give us more than one-liners.

By the way I don’t think anyone is saying that Alizée is shallow because she buys a Chanel bag. I hope you can appreciate that there is more nuance than that. I would just like her to show a little depth from time to time, but at some point, I have started to wonder if she never does because she is actually rather shallow. It doesn’t make her a bad person. Just makes her less interesting to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
Hell, I even wrote a song about it once.
Link to song, please!

Quote:
Maybe she's just keeping things light and superficial in public to avoid any controversy.
This might sound like a plausible reason, but then, how much controversy would it generate to comment on a biography she just read or link to a great article about Maya ruins? I don’t think anyone is asking her to dissert on religion of explain her political views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishFan View Post
Fair enough, but I find all those things really important. Enviroment and education make 90% of what we are imho.
Well, the nature versus nurture debate could be interesting, but we should maybe keep that for another thread because there is much to say on the topic.

Last edited by Corsaire; 03-16-2013 at 12:55 AM..
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Amélie's Fed Up in Autumn

lapinschous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
if she does have a deeper side, she makes great efforts to keep it repressed while she interacts with her fans.

How surprising would that be ? Not at all . She's always been the reserved type , and Mylène's culture of secrecy added up to her natural reservedness towards the media.

Even in her very first interviews ... <iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9lVQ2yFMVyo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But as I've mentioned it in my last post , what truly matters for us, fans, is the way we portray her in our minds , how we see her through our eyes and how we perceive her apparent personality in the way we want it to be , because Alizée is the kind of person everyone can take a liking for and for an infinite number of reasons.

La Nostalgie des jours gourmands..
Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 AM

Panther is on a distinguished road

I've got hidden shallows

Maybe Alizee has hidden depths?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Link to song, please!
You can find it here: http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4637

It's a shame that of all the interviews of Alizée we've seen, it's hard to find one where she is asked any questions that go beyond the superficial. I would say that the majority of her interviews basically cover the same old ground over and over again.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:10 AM

Actually, I think we should dissociate “deep” from “personal”. Even if people generally say that she is shy and private, Alizée has shared (willingly or unwillingly) quite a lot of information that give clues about her private life. If I take all the other celebrities I care following and bunch them up, that still amounts to less private information then what Alizée puts out. I don’t know where they live (well, maybe the country), I don’t know what they eat, who they frequent, what the interior of their home looks like, no pictures of their brother, their children, how they dress in private...

Also, in a recent promotional video about it her last album, Alizée says (my translation): “This one talks about stuff that seem a little gloomy [I think she says “sombre”, but it isn’t easily audible], more profound as far as the lyrics and my life are concerned.”

So, it seems Alizée does not shy away from exposing her private life and her feelings to some extent. What I would like to see is some depth. Oh, not much, just a little. As I alluded to it earlier, a few simple comments would really make a difference for people who care about that sort of thing:

“Here are some of the most historically relevant buildings in Corsica”
“Edie Sedgwick had a fascinating life, I do recommend reading her biography written by...”
“People say Pacino is good, well, you have to see Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico if you want to see how remarkable his acting can really be”
“I love new technology, but sometimes you have to wonder where all this is going” (Links to an article discussing if there could too much technology in our lives at some point)

That’s it. Just some indication that she actually cares about some less superficial matters, at times.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Mélodie de vie, c'est l'odyssée!

Marka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Actually, I think we should dissociate “deep” from “personal”. Even if people generally say that she is shy and private, Alizée has shared (willingly or unwillingly) quite a lot of information that give clues about her private life. If I take all the other celebrities I care following and bunch them up, that still amounts to less private information then what Alizée puts out. I don’t know where they live (well, maybe the country), I don’t know what they eat, who they frequent, what the interior of their home looks like, no pictures of their brother, their children, how they dress in private...

Also, in a recent promotional video about it her last album, Alizée says (my translation): “This one talks about stuff that seem a little gloomy [I think she says “sombre”, but it isn’t easily audible], more profound as far as the lyrics and my life are concerned.”

So, it seems Alizée does not shy away from exposing her private life and her feelings to some extent. What I would like to see is some depth. Oh, not much, just a little. As I alluded to it earlier, a few simple comments would really make a difference for people who care about that sort of thing:

“Edie Sedgwick had a fascinating life, I do recommend reading her biography written by...”
“People say Pacino is good, well, you have to see Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico if you want to see how remarkable his acting can really be”
“I love new technology, but sometimes you have to wonder where all this is going” (Links to an article discussing if there could too much technology in our lives at some point)

That’s it. Just some indication that she actually cares about some less superficial matters, at times.
That is exactly, what I want from her. ...though, I have a bad feeling about this...
Old 03-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't know that I'm deep enough to really participate on this topic, but I've been thinking about your last post for a few hours. As far as I know, she never discusses politics publicly. <<<(Just an example) Which is probably a good thing. So perhaps it's generally best for an artist to avoid showing a lot of depth to their fans in an effort to not alienate any of them who may take offense to something she likes or believes in.

I'm interested in knowing more about her and how she thinks as well, but she does show us behind the scenes things related to her work, as well as some hints of her private life. It's more than I would ask for from her.

I can be her fan for what she does and how I perceive her to be as a person, and not have to know too much about her. But that works for me, and may not for anyone else.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Mélodie de vie, c'est l'odyssée!

Marka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray4AJ View Post
I don't know that I'm deep enough to really participate on this topic
I hope that you don't really think that you are not "deep" enough.

Quote:
... but I've been thinking about your last post for a few hours. As far as I know, she never discusses politics publicly.
<<<(Just an example) Which is probably a good thing. So perhaps it's generally best for an artist to avoid showing a lot of depth to their fans in an effort to not alienate any of them who may take offense to something she likes or believes in.
And I hope that she will never discuss politics or similar topics, as I believe that would do her more harm than good. Imagine Alizée suddenly citing Marx . Though, I would have nothing against if double meanings of some of her songs had political or ideological meanings. Anyway, I would rather hear from her something substantial for example about Les Enfoirés and why she participates there, to show that she is serious about helping homeless people - check out my definition of "depth" some posts ago.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks! If you don’t mind, having a look at the lyrics would be nice. I’ll take a PM if you prefer.

Quote:
It's a shame that of all the interviews of Alizée we've seen, it's hard to find one where she is asked any questions that go beyond the superficial. I would say that the majority of her interviews basically cover the same old ground over and over again.
I have noticed that as well. But what is disappointing to me is that in the few interviews where she could actually go a little deeper (and I emphasize the fact that I haven’t seen all her interviews), she doesn’t venture too far and doesn’t sound very convincing, or at ease. It sounds rehearsed. But that might simply my impression. Here is an example, for those who can decipher spoken French (at 3m15s):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RX71xcMpx5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit:

Quote:
I don't know that I'm deep enough to really participate on this topic...
Ray, as Matevz writes, I really hope that you (as well as any other AAm member) don’t believe that this is about being “deep” enough. This is about discussing and sharing different views on this particular topic. Thanks for contributing!

Last edited by Corsaire; 03-16-2013 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 03-16-2013, 08:22 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matevz91 View Post
I hope that she will never discuss politics or similar topics, as I believe that would do her more harm than good.
You're dead on with that statement. I picked up on her political leanings when I saw a tweet from a politician Alizée was following she had retweeted. I was sweating for ten days to two weeks hoping beyond hope no one else saw that tweet and if they did they kept it to themselves. Lucky for everyone if anyone else from AAM and AF saw it they also kept quiet about it.

Stay out of the political arena you keep 100% of your fans, pick a side you can alienate any where for 5% to 50% of your fan base. In today's economy can any performer afford to lose even ten percent of their fans?